Short (near) Daily Science Fiction Book and Story Review

Page 2 of 2<12
November 11th, 2013 at 7:57:37 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Now I'm reading the Time Travel Megapack in Kobo. It's an anthology of, you guessed it, time travel short stories. There's an itneresting mix of modern stories (as modern as 2013!!) and older ones.

One of these struck a chord. It's called 12:01 PM by Richard A. Lupoff. With a minimum of sopilers, it's about a man who each day at 1 PM goes back in time to 12:01 PM of the same day, whiel the rest of the world is unaware of this.

Sounds familiar, yes? It's the same idea as the movie "Groundhog Day." The story is completely different, though.

Now, while similar ideas in SF are common, this is too coincidental, and things that happen in the story are similar to the movie. What I think is that the movie screenplay might be loosely based on the story.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 11th, 2013 at 8:10:27 AM permalink
boopsahoy
Threads: 1
Quote: Nareed
Well, not necessarily. So far the non-existent locales are a mere coincidence. But SF is specualtive, so it would involve places, objects, even kinds of people that do not exist. It differs from fantasy in that all these things have a basis in science, however tenuous. Of course, some authors are more rigoruos than others. Clarke, for example, rarely employed faster than ligth travel (and never in his latter works).

I'm not familair with Donaldson. About 80% of all my reading consists of Asimov, Clarke and Niven.

You really should try him. The Chronicles of Thomas COvenant is wonderful and so are his stand alone stories.
Page 2 of 2<12