For the Ladies

Page 3 of 3<123
December 18th, 2014 at 11:46:20 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
When I get home after a long, long, long, long day, I find the mere sight of a made bed to be comforting. Likewise upon arriving at a hotel after a long trip, or a long day's work out of town.

I never have maid service in a hotel,
first thing I do is cancel it. Don't like
people poking around when I'm not
there.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 18th, 2014 at 8:33:23 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Face,

I'm not going to be a lot of help in this, because I'm happy in a cluttered house, wait for enough laundry to make full loads sorted by color before doing it (today, in fact, is wash day). Cluttered is different than dirty, especially in the kitchen; I sterilize everything one way or another before it's used twice, but that's a health thing, and doesn't mean dishes can't soak in the sink for a bit or sit in the dishwasher (well-rinsed) for a few days until it's full.

If you know where your stuff goes, even if it's a screwdriver in the fork slot, and it goes there when it's not in use, then that's just fine. If you want to leave it somewhere else, then waste time looking for it later, that's your price to pay, not mine. I reFUSE to nag. Just won't do it. My ex left his skidmarked briefs on the bedroom floor. I got him his own hamper, tossed them in there if he hadn't, let 'em rot til he did his own carky drawers. Just how it worked out.

Now, the reasons other women do it. Some mixture of (percentages depend on the woman) 1. Anal retentiveness/OCD 2. Power struggle between the two of you 3. Her establishing her importance and place in your joint lives 4. Her susceptibility to outside opinions, particularly your mother, followed by her mother, of expectations from other judgmental women (and many men) 5. Taking control of some portion of her life when there's so much else she can't control 6. Genuinely enjoying the instant gratification from cleaning something. Me, I had a mild case of 2 and 3, moderate 4. Usually didn't worry too much about it; life's too short.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 19th, 2014 at 12:51:28 AM permalink
Calder
Threads: 0
Quote: Evenbob
there.

No kidding! People let strangers in their room? Why bother locking the door?
December 19th, 2014 at 3:49:17 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: beachbumbabs
I'm not going to be a lot of help in this, because I'm happy in a cluttered house, wait for enough laundry to make full loads sorted by color before doing it (today, in fact, is wash day). Cluttered is different than dirty, especially in the kitchen; I sterilize everything one way or another before it's used twice, but that's a health thing, and doesn't mean dishes can't soak in the sink for a bit or sit in the dishwasher (well-rinsed) for a few days until it's full.
Usually didn't worry too much about it; life's too short.

I'm happy in a cluttered house also, although I might be happier if it were less cluttered. Screwdriver? Think... where did you last use it? Then go there and find it. I usually sort the laundry but if its only one red shirt it will go in with the whites. I'd like to have a certain place for a pair of scissors but I use them so often that I simply have five pairs laying around somewhere and chances are one of them will be not far. I'd love to have an autoclave for the dishes but no such luck. I recently brought in oranges and limes from the yard but I simply used a knife rather than those specialized plastic slicers that are around here someplace in one of those drawers.

In my pre=teen years, I over heard one airline pilot's wife say "Life is too short to spend it cleaning ovens". I didn't adopt it as a motto or anything but I admired her attitude towards unpleasant chores: Buy a new oven.
December 19th, 2014 at 4:26:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
Making a bed is a waste of time. But every night when I get home from work, I change the sheets. Too me one of the pleasures of life is going to bed in fresh sheets. Helps me sleep better. Just started doing this about 4 years ago. Up until 4 years ago, most of my vacations were camping vacations at music festivals. Few years ago started going back to Vegas on a regular basis. So nice to sleep in fresh sheets every night at a hotel. I figured, why not do this at home. Yea its a lot of laundry but after washing and drying, I don't fold, just quickly ball them up and stick them in the linen closet. Have a rotation of 4 sets of sheets.

A made bed fees so much nicer to come to and slip into at night, it feels fresh. I can't bring myself to change sheets nightly, but if I had the cash to have a maid I would consider doing it at least every few days vs every week. I don't do a bedspread, though, and hotels seem to be doing away with them as well.

"Bedding" used to be much more important and expensive than it is now. It is one of the things you sometimes see in wills from 120 years ago spelled out as to who gets it.
The President is a fink.
December 19th, 2014 at 12:16:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

"Bedding" used to be much more important and expensive than it is now. It is one of the things you sometimes see in wills from 120 years ago spelled out as to who gets it.

It was expensive, that's why. People would
leave their radios in their wills. A top of the
line Zenith in 1933 cost 25% of the average
mans wage. Those radios are still working
today, and can be repaired if their not.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 19th, 2014 at 12:58:12 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
there.

me and my wife constantly go back and forth on this, I do not want maid service for short stays [till you might need towels] and my wife likes the idea of constant maid service. She even likes it if they come in to "turn down the bed" - a completely incomprehensible activity to me

Quote: beachbumbabs
I sterilize everything one way or another before it's used twice

another good thread would be why women are so uptight about 'germs'
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 19th, 2014 at 1:15:23 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
women uptight about germs?
Well, concerned about germs. Let's leave it that.

Any woman moves into new digs, she cleans. First day in a new apartment is always paper towels and clorox spray followed by taking a big plastic bag and looking for the dumpster. One woman on her trip to the dumpster ran into a guy, she kept trying to stay down wind of him as they talked due to lack of frilly French gown or expensive perfume, but he was definitely interested and things worked out well but first day is always cleaning for a woman.

Dirt means microbes, microbes means disease and odors... females have a better sense of odors that is why they wear perfumes particularly those based on male scents.
December 19th, 2014 at 2:12:06 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Fleastiff
Dirt means microbes, microbes means disease and odors.

Nah, not talking about the sensible idea of cleaning things, which is all you need do 99.99999 % of the time.

For health reasons, you need to clean the countertop. Not attempt to sterilize the countertop! Or anything else.

Watch the commercials directed at women. They constantly promote products to kill germs!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
Page 3 of 3<123