1 vote (12.5%)
5 votes (62.5%)

8 members have voted

December 18th, 2014 at 9:24:11 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
Did the lady who gave you the Vegemite sandwich smile when she gave it to you?

Clever, but it was a man, from Brussels, 6'4" and full of muscles. For the benefit of Nareed, I'm 99.54% it was Brussels, not Brazil.

Quote: Nareed
Leave it to the southern hemisphere to name a food product as if it were a mineral.

I think they have one or the other in the UK. Not sure who started it but I think it is more popular in the southern hemisphere.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 18th, 2014 at 10:30:51 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Marmite dates back to the last 1900's. The NZ version is actually different to the British recipe. Vegemite seems to come from around 1920's.

If you like those flavours, try twiglets sometime...
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 18th, 2014 at 10:57:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Clever, but it was a man, from Brussels, 6'4" and full of muscles. For the benefit of Nareed, I'm 99.54% it was Brussels, not Brazil.

You are correct, sir. That is what happens when you reply to something before a 70 mile commute and dead tired but still trying to be funny. Please deduct the amount of Wizard Points from my tally as you feel needed.......
The President is a fink.
December 18th, 2014 at 12:49:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I think they have one or the other in the UK. Not sure who started it but I think it is more popular in the southern hemisphere.

The Brits have a cute advertising campaign.It became a popular journalism shortcut to describe polarizing actions.

December 18th, 2014 at 12:58:01 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Really, how does this sound:

"New Cinnamon Flakes! Now enriched with Marmite!"

BTW, there's a Spanish word related to kitchen equipment: marmita. I've no idea what it is, but I come across it in descriptions of equipment in industrial/institutional type kitchens.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 18th, 2014 at 2:12:33 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Really, how does this sound:

"New Cinnamon Flakes! Now enriched with Marmite!"

BTW, there's a Spanish word related to kitchen equipment: marmita. I've no idea what it is, but I come across it in descriptions of equipment in industrial/institutional type kitchens.

Probably the same route as 'marmite' - a large cooking pot. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite_(cooking_dish)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 18th, 2014 at 8:11:07 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I had never known Vegemite was a real product; thought it was a running joke until I met my A-NZ friends (married, one of each) in Hawaii. Their families mailed tubes of it to them on a regular schedule because they couldn't get it there. I tried it reluctantly and was blown away by how yummy it was. As you said, very thinly spread on buttered bread/toast is the way to go. They also had Marmite (NZ recipe, I guess; didn't know there was a difference), but I was sold on Vegemite by then. I would absolutely add it to my diet if it were easier to buy here.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 19th, 2014 at 12:06:14 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

According to Spanish Wikipedia it is a loan word from French to both English and Spanish with changes in the pronunciation and ending with an 'a' in Spanish vs a 'e' in French and English.

The DRAE says it is a metal pot with a modern and traditional one shown

In English they are called either "Dutch ovens" are more simply "casserole dishes".
December 19th, 2014 at 6:32:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
The DRAE says it is a metal pot with a modern and traditional one shown

I did something for a change: I asked one of our people in charge of maintenance for industrial kitchens. He tells me it's a large kettle with its own heat source.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 19th, 2014 at 7:35:28 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I have to say that I didn't care for either Vegemite or Marmite. They tasted like the tar that washes up on the beaches of Santa Barbara. If you put a razor thin layer on toast it is tolerable, especially with lots of butter. They seemed equally awful to me.

Barb, you can get Vegemite on Amazon.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 2 of 3<123>