What is the right way to address a cadet?

December 23rd, 2014 at 9:05:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Does anyone know the respectful way a civilian should address a student of one of our military academies?

My dealing looks to be with locals of West Point (and possibly Annapolis and Colorado Springs.) They are going to be in uniform so I would like to at least know the right way to show respect in case we are not instructed otherwise. I am going on the assumption they have not been commissioned yet, if they are I will know by the uniform. I know the protocols for an officer, but not a cadet.
The President is a fink.
December 23rd, 2014 at 10:56:05 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Pretty sure they're the next-to-bottom rung of the ladder. The only one who salutes a cadet is another cadet, as they have no authority.

I dunno any protocols for civs towards personnel. I usually make eye contact and nod, maintaining contact until the gesture is received and/or returned. That's my default show-of-respect to most any uniform (except, of course, the pres, as I've not lived through one deserving of anything but a turn to show my back =p).
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 23rd, 2014 at 11:01:03 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
They will more then likely call you sir. If they're
cadets, you probably address them as cadets.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 23rd, 2014 at 11:11:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
Pretty sure they're the next-to-bottom rung of the ladder. The only one who salutes a cadet is another cadet, as they have no authority.

Well, I don't salute anyone nor do they salute me as I am not in the military.

Quote: Evenbob
They will more then likely call you sir. If they're
cadets, you probably address them as cadets.

I am sure they will. When I was at the military bank cadets would sometimes call, I still remember one ended every sentence with "sir" like a verbal period. I have to imagine the cadets had using "sir" just pounded into them.

One thing I do expect is the night to be about the most orderly I will have ever worked at.
The President is a fink.
December 23rd, 2014 at 3:33:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Actually I believe the correct form of address is Mister or Ma'am. Remember "Mister Roberts"... even in the Navy a commissioned officer below a certain rank is addressed as Mister as are Midshipmen, ensigns and lieutenants.

Any person in ROTC attire, even formal event ROTC attire is legally a civilian but may lawfully be saluted by military personnel and must be saluted if a flag bearer.

Any cadet at a US Military Academy is legally in the military and salutes just about everyone starting with a person wearing the Congressional Medal of Honor, a Person known to have been awarded a Congressional Medal of Honor, The President of the United States, etc. A cadet has no rank and is officially listed as an E-3 in the Reserves.