Dog Talk

March 18th, 2017 at 4:19:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Face had a dog and never talks about
him anymore.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 19th, 2017 at 11:57:54 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
Face had a dog and never talks about
him anymore.

He's such a dumb f#$% =)

I dunno, not much to say outside of the ordinary. There were some growing pains, he s#$% himself, I lost a bit of blood, but mostly it's good. I'll definitely be hanging onto him until he dies.

You were right about the "having someone to talk to". It's been nice, even if I only ever get the crooked head look. And at least once a day, I do laugh right out loud. It's like having a good natured simpleton that's OK to laugh at living in your house.

My only real complaint is just the timing. We've had very little outside time, and that's the best part about dogs (at least my kind of dogs). He's still too skittish around new people, which creates a bite possibility if someone forces themselves on him, but with other dogs he seems ok. My long time neighbor has three rat dogs, and as this is a hunting breed, I sure had some worries. But the few times he's gotten away and went to them, he just wants to be chased by them. No aggression or hunting urges in him in that regard.

After much delay, he's finally getting snipped this Weds. Guess we'll see what happens to him then.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 19th, 2017 at 12:21:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Face
And at least once a day, I do laugh right out loud.

I laughed first thing when I let him
outside this morning. It's warm and
sunny and he was bounding around
like an idiot. Way too cute not to
laugh at. Life without a dog isn't
really living.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 19th, 2017 at 5:28:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Chihuahua and Weimeraner at Halloween
March 20th, 2017 at 4:45:04 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
If a dog ever gave a seminar it would be on this subject:

Effectiveness in Identifying Imposters and the Importance of the Butt

As a lead-in joke, the dog would relate " a chihuahua walks into a bar. Wanting to identify his friend he sniffed an ear."

Now to us that isn't very funny, but trust me, the dog audience would be rolling on the floor.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 20th, 2017 at 12:46:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I like this video because the dog can't seem to believe it when he first sees his owner after three years.
March 20th, 2017 at 2:28:01 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: odiousgambit
My wife didn't have a dog when she was a kid, first one was as a young adult, so I won't claim this is a sex-specific thing, maybe just an inexperienced and too old to learn thing. Although I have to wonder, as I have noticed it with other women and not so much with men [maybe some men].

I tell her the dog doesn't understand English, just commands. Our dog has learned some simple ones, like 'sit!', and indeed the simpler the command the better. One syllable if possible. Mostly it was me who taught the commands.

Sooooooooo, don't give the dog sentences, I tell her. If you surround 'sit!' with words, "blah blah sit blah blah blah" , the dog may not even sit.

And pointing to something. The dog does not get pointing, I tell her. Maybe if you trained it, which would be hard. As it is, the dog just thinks you have something in your hand.

I think you know where I am going with this. Wife either doesn't believe me or, more likely, just likes talking to the dog because she likes to talk. She likes to gesture. She keeps hoping the dog will do better?

She astonishes me today with the double whammy, tries to send the dog to me with about a whole paragraph of words, pointing to me the whole time. Epic fail yet again.

Why?

I had a dog that understood some hand commands. She would sit, stay, lay down or come by watching my hand. My current dog will sit... well stand... where I point. Of course, I am not pointing at the neighbor's porch across the street or anything, but he knows where I want him to go without me giving a voice or whistle command.

I encourage you to keep working with her... and the dog too. hehe
March 20th, 2017 at 2:35:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Ayecarumba

I had a dog that understood some hand commands.

My dog understands hand commands
for stay and come, jump on the bed,
and we're going outside. Those are
the things I most want him to do.

Dogs instinctively want to be obedient,
it's gives them peace of mind as to
where they fit in the world. They're
pack animals, they love having a leader.
April 23rd, 2017 at 12:49:41 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
This is for you Face

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 23rd, 2017 at 4:50:55 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Glad you all seem to have dodged that Leptosporosis stuff that was affecting dogs in New Jersey.

I never understood that lethargy would be fatal. I've been lethargic for years ... I wish it was fatal.