Threads: 146
Quote: Face
But man,... I had a good dog =)

They're all good, why don't you have
one now. A 20 pound dog to go on
your route with you. You would like
it and they would love it. You would
talk non stop to them, guaranteed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 31st, 2016 at 6:09:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

I wish I could have one, just gone from home too much to be fair to the dog. I like dogs better than most people.
The President is a fink.
August 31st, 2016 at 6:22:00 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

See: AZD.

I'm not home enough. I can't take the dog on the route. Sometimes I think I could manage it, when I'm out of work in 4-5 hours, no problem. But then weather, then 10-12 hr days for months, then hockey, reffing, racing... don't seem right. Not yet.

I've been "open". I told mama, and every now and again she tells me of some dog here or there, but nothing's sparked my interest. If I came upon "that perfect dog", OK, maybe I'd make it work. But no dice as of yet.

Plus I just bought a new clutch. I like being able to do that. That's one bag of dog food =/

Someday...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 31st, 2016 at 6:52:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Someday...

A dog is not a treat, a dog is one of
life's necessities, like air and water.
Mine makes me happy dozens of
times a day, nothing else does that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 1st, 2016 at 2:11:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
A dog is not a treat, a dog is one of
life's necessities, like air and water.
Mine makes me happy dozens of
times a day, nothing else does that.

It is wrong to leave a dog alone day after day after day. New neighbor of my mother does that, you can hear it in the garage. Makes you feel sad for the dog.

Plus I would want a medium to larger dog that needs exercise. When you come home beat and the dog is rested and ready to play, again, so bad for the dog.
The President is a fink.
September 1st, 2016 at 7:10:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I suppose you could argue that my walking towards the door, or our proximity to a vehicle, falls into the "gesture" category. Perhaps it does and perhaps that's the reason. But man,... I had a good dog =)

I think you're the type who'd like to do this. Next time you interact with someone, especially at work, try saying "yes" while shaking your head, and saying "no" while nodding. Most people get confused.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 1st, 2016 at 7:14:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
Dogs and cats demonstrate they understand, when they pretend not to hear you; when they don't really want to do something and they try to ignore you.

That's rather non-proof.

What's odd is that dogs, which are more social, don't "talk" at us as much as cats do. I can't recall a single one of my dogs barking to get attention. Whining sometimes, yes, but not barking. Cats, on the other hand, meow to get you to notice them.
September 2nd, 2016 at 7:15:00 AM permalink
Nareed
I wonder whether dogs have a sense of humor.

There were two jokes I used to play on my last dog, the playful one.

One was the classic "pretend to throw the ball/toy/bone." She'd typically take off running, then she'd stop and look intently forward, her ears perking up. Next she'd turn back to me, see the prized object still in my hand, and she'd wag her tail and kind of point to the other end of the room or lawn with her muzzle.

The other was to get her excited to go upstairs, open the door to the foyer (where the stairs were), and close the door behind her while I remained in the hallway. I'd wait a few seconds and open the door. Again, she'd be there staring at the door and wagging her tail.

There was one time I opened the door and walked right after her, because I was in a hurry to see something on TV. She ran up the stairs to the first landing (just three steps up, then the stairs turned 90 degrees), stopped, turned back, went back down and began to run towards the foyer door. When she saw me, she stopped, cocked her head to the side and her ears perked up. She walked slowly to the door and sat down.

I told her "come up, sweetie, upstairs!" But she just sat there. I went back to the hallway, closed the door, opened it, and there she was staring at the door wagging her tail. then she ran upstairs.

I'm not sure whether she was getting back at me, or upset I didn't play the "close the door" game the right way.
December 29th, 2016 at 3:33:12 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
December 23rd, 2014. Can't say that I'm impulsive...

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 30th, 2016 at 2:52:28 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
December 23rd, 2014. Can't say that I'm impulsive...

your new pup?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]