Selling a Xmas gift.

December 24th, 2014 at 12:24:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Tis the season for suppliers to ingratiate themselves with their customers by giving them flashy and/or expensive gifts.

Usually at our level we get little or nothing, but some suppliers have realized how much work we put into selling their products to our customers. Therefore this year I got a few things. I think I mentioned a bottle of tequila packaged on a lovely cutting board. Yesterday I got a really nice set of integrated stereo speakers with an iphone dock.

My first thought was "Do I have any use for this?" Followed quickly by "Do I have more use for the money I could get for it?"

To answer the first question: none.

Why? Well, I have an iphone 4, and the speaker takes in only iphones 5 and above (for now). I can connect anything to it with a cable, though. What I don't have is anything to listen to on it. 99% of my audio play consists of podcasts and audiobooks. The remaining 1% is music, which takes up, oh, perhaps 2 hours per month on average; all of it, BTW, in my car.

For plain voice audio, my dinky $25 Bluetooth speaker is plenty. besides, when I move around in the kitchen while listening, I can carry it with me and hear the book clearly at all times (within the small range of Bluetooth, naturally).

I looked it up online, and given market conditions, Xmas and all, I could get perhaps $150 for it. I definitely have more use for that than for the speaker.

I know it's considered bad form to sell a present, but I disagree with that. Oh, overall I keep any presents I get from friends. But gifts from a business acquaintance are different. And I'm still quite appreciative to this supplier for their gift. It was very, very nice.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 24th, 2014 at 12:57:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I don't know if it's bad form to sell a business related present.

At any rate, the only embarrassing thing is to run into the person who gave it to you, while you're getting rid of it at a pawn shop. (for instance).

Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you think they might follow up and ask you how you like using it, and that might be awkward.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 24th, 2014 at 1:38:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
I don't know if it's bad form to sell a business related present.

I've no idea, either.

Quote:
Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you think they might follow up and ask you how you like using it, and that might be awkward.

I don't think I've met him more than twice... It's just he knows some of the people one level above me, and he knows all the work they and we put in. Oh, and I did keep the mini-card he stuck on the package for a tag. It's very colorful.

There's a bread supplier who sends us pastries for holidays when that is traditional (it's a Mexican thing). I don't care much for that, but the product they make for gifts is top notch, so I always have some. When he calls to ask how I liked the Rosca de Reyes I can honestly tell him it was delicious. I don't tell him I give 90% of it to the maid.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER