Does falling water chill due to losing gravitational energy?

Page 2 of 3<123>
December 24th, 2014 at 8:29:11 PM permalink
ChesterDog
Threads: 0
Quote: Wizard
Okay, I think we can all buy that. When water falls over the waterfall it makes a lot of noise and causes spray when it hits the bottom. I would call that gravitational energy converting to kinetic energy.

Let me rephrase the question this way. If there were a waterfall in a vacuum, to tease out the effect of air friction, would the water cool down half way down?

p.s. Welcome to the forum! Hope you'll stick around.

That's a good question! I would also ignore the vaporization of the water--then the water is simply objects falling in a vacuum. And all objects including feathers and cannonballs achieve the same speed when falling from the same distance, which can be calculated using the law of conservation of energy. If the temperature of the objects were dropping on the way down their speeds would have to increase more than that predicted by the formula m v^2 / 2 = mgh to preserve the law of conservation of energy. (In fact, their jobs would be much harder than they are if rocket scientists had to take into account the changing temperature of objects falling through the vacuum of space.)

I do like reading the DT discussions.
December 24th, 2014 at 8:39:28 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Ever seen an animal bolt from a loud noise?
That's about how I now feel after ChesterDog dropped the knowledge.

GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 24th, 2014 at 11:33:38 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Make a bath too hot and collect and dump water back and feel the water cool quickly. Wouldn't work without the air to interact with such as in a tube.
December 25th, 2014 at 3:03:58 AM permalink
ChesterDog
Threads: 0
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Make a bath too hot and collect and dump water back and feel the water cool quickly. Wouldn't work without the air to interact with such as in a tube.

Yes; the evaporation of water cools it quickly and would overwhelm the effect of the gravity on the temperature. A tube would prevent the evaporation, and that brings to mind the Niagara Falls hydroelectric plant. The water flowing through its pipes and coming to rest at the bottom would increase in temperature the predicted amount were it not for the conversion of much of the gravitational potential energy into electrical energy.
December 25th, 2014 at 8:14:11 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I asked Doc to join the discussion. He evidently doesn't want to sign up to DT but let me quote the following.

Quote: Doc
I have only scanned the thread, but the comments by Face and ChesterDog seem to cover the topic rather well. My summary would be this:

(1) If we were to neglect evaporation and frictional effects from the atmosphere, the potential energy of the water at the top of the falls would be converted to kinetic energy during the fall, with no reason to expect a temperature change during the fall.

(2) Upon impact, the kinetic energy would be converted primarily to internal energy, resulting in a temperature increase. This is the 0.1 degree temperature rise that was discussed in the article linked very early in the thread.

(3) If we added on just the effect of viscous drag due to the presence of the air, I think the primary change would be that the kinetic energy would be converted partially to internal energy during the fall, giving a gradual and extremely small temperature rise during the fall, followed by most of the 0.1 degree temperature rise after impact with the pool at the bottom.

(4) On the other hand, I highly suspect that the primary factor in temperature change really is the evaporation. Even if only a very small portion of the water evaporates during the fall, the conversion from liquid to vapor will require a significant input of heat. Some of that will come from the surrounding air, and some will come from the water that does not evaporate. Both the air and the liquid water will be cooled, and I highly suspect that this cooling will substantially overbalance the heating due to conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy to internal energy.

(5) If somehow this were to happen in a vacuum, there would be no viscous interaction with the atmosphere, but there would still be evaporation. In fact, in the vacuum the water would evaporate much more readily, giving even more cooling.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 25th, 2014 at 12:36:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman

This earlier post from the 1941 textbook says the water temperature increases.

I just started reading Linus Pauling's "General Chemistry" and the first example confuses me. He writes:

Example 1-1. Niagara Falls (Horseshoe) is 160 feet high. How much warmer is the water at the bottom than at the top, as the result of the conversion of potential energy into thermal energy? The standard acceleration of gravity is 9.80665 m s−2.

Solution. The gravitational force on a mass of 1 kg at the earth's surface is 9.80665 N.
The change is [sic] potential energy of 1 kg over a vertical distance h (in meters) is 9.80665 × h J.
In this problem h has the value 0.3048 × 160 = 48.77 m (conversion factor from Appendix I);
hence the change in potential energy produces 9.80665 × 48.77 = 478 J to thermal energy.
The energy required to raise the temperature of 1 kg of water by 1∘C is given above as 1 kcal = 4.184 kJ = 4184 J.
Hence the increase in temperature of the water is 478/4184 = 0.114∘C.
December 25th, 2014 at 12:59:13 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman

This earlier post from the 1941 textbook says the water temperature increases.

I just started reading Linus Pauling's "General Chemistry" and the first example confuses me. He writes:

Example 1-1. Niagara Falls (Horseshoe) is 160 feet high. How much warmer is the water at the bottom than at the top, as the result of the conversion of potential energy into thermal energy? The standard acceleration of gravity is 9.80665 m s−2.

Solution. The gravitational force on a mass of 1 kg at the earth's surface is 9.80665 N.
The change is [sic] potential energy of 1 kg over a vertical distance h (in meters) is 9.80665 × h J.
In this problem h has the value 0.3048 × 160 = 48.77 m (conversion factor from Appendix I);
hence the change in potential energy produces 9.80665 × 48.77 = 478 J to thermal energy.
The energy required to raise the temperature of 1 kg of water by 1∘C is given above as 1 kcal = 4.184 kJ = 4184 J.
Hence the increase in temperature of the water is 478/4184 = 0.114∘C.

Does this mean the Moon warms as its orbit brings it closer to to the Earth?
December 25th, 2014 at 4:29:38 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The gravitational attraction between a drop of water and the Earth increases as it falls closer to the surface.

If water cooled down as it falls, due to some loss of "gravitational energy," all rain would fall as ice.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 25th, 2014 at 8:12:12 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
The gravitational attraction between a drop of water and the Earth increases as it falls closer to the surface.

I think that effect is negligible.

Quote:
If water cooled down as it falls, due to some loss of "gravitational energy," all rain would fall as ice.

I claim it is a negligible change due to the gravitational effect. It likely heats up due to lower air being warmer.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 25th, 2014 at 9:05:06 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
While looking at a waterfall in New Zealand somebody said that that water temperature goes down after falling down the waterfall because it loses potential gravitational energy. Is this true?

Quote: Energy Generation and Storage Using Water
Electricity generation using water
As the falling water collides with the bulk of the water at the bottom of the waterfall, water splashes randomly and chaotically in all directions. Part of the kinetic energy gained by the falling water is now converted into the kinetic energy of random motion. As a result, the internal energy of the water increases, and the water temperature rises at the bottom of the falls. It is said that in the 19th century, the famous scientist James Joule first attempted to measure the temperature change of water at a waterfall. His contribution towards the discovery of conservation of energy resulted in the unit of energy joule being named after him.

I must assume you misheard this person, or he got it backwards.
Page 2 of 3<123>