Buying a used car long distance

Page 1 of 212>
December 24th, 2014 at 8:19:02 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I am about a year away, but the search for the next vehicle is starting. Some cursory looking shows that I might get a better deal if I buy online many miles away, possibly as far as Florida. I figure a trip down and back to be about $800 after gas, air, and hotel. So it will need to be about $2K in savings, but that might be possible.

If it was Florida, I have heard you can bring back certain kinds of utility trailers for resale at a profit, which would help matters. Another dealer is closer, specializing in theft-recovered vehicles. They had a good, actually great price but it is both pending sale and as I said I am not just ready.

I know I need to look into not having to pay sales tax at both places. Wondering if anyone else has done this, would consider it, and other things to look out for.
The President is a fink.
December 24th, 2014 at 10:29:59 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
When I bought my last car I did a fair bit of research to see if I could legally avoid sales tax if I purchased the car in Oregon. It seemed not.

A bit off topic, but I'm going to post soon about selling my 2004 Cadillac CTS. Low mileage and runs great. Keep an eye out for that post.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 24th, 2014 at 11:01:55 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Wizard
A bit off topic, but I'm going to post soon about selling my 2004 Cadillac CTS. Low mileage and runs great. Keep an eye out for that post.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 24th, 2014 at 11:14:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Maybe Face can weld you a car together from pieces if you give him a price range.

: )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 25th, 2014 at 12:11:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
If it was Florida, I have heard you can bring back certain kinds of utility trailers for resale at a profit, which would help matters
I've not heard of this. Lots of horse trailers around Florida though and lots of cargo trailers being dragged behind RVs or lawn-mower trailers dragged behind maintenance vehicles.

Two problems here: Initial registry of a vehicle in Florida costs you and arm and a leg.
Second problem. Many dealers are perfectly legit, but somewhat low volume, so they don't pay for unlimited access to DMV computer system and are therefore limited to the Five Title Transactions Per Day ... which means you may have to get a second temporary title in order to get a title transfer completed.

I think its a federal law that forces school and churches to sell buses every five years, but there are bargains on those it seems, both long and short buses and also handicapped transport vans.
December 25th, 2014 at 5:31:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
I've not heard of this. Lots of horse trailers around Florida though and lots of cargo trailers being dragged behind RVs or lawn-mower trailers dragged behind maintenance vehicles.

Two problems here: Initial registry of a vehicle in Florida costs you and arm and a leg.
Second problem. Many dealers are perfectly legit, but somewhat low volume, so they don't pay for unlimited access to DMV computer system and are therefore limited to the Five Title Transactions Per Day ... which means you may have to get a second temporary title in order to get a title transfer completed.

Initial registry might be avoided if I just register it in PA I am thinking. AFIK nothing requires you to register a vehicle when you buy it. I would have to talk to the local notary in town about plates. States used to have five or thirty day tags for this kind of thing.

As to Face welding the car up, discussed in another thread.
The President is a fink.
December 25th, 2014 at 6:55:04 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
You get a 30 day transit tag from Florida and pay tax in Pennsylvania.
December 26th, 2014 at 3:11:07 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
After hurricane Katrina, there was a big problem with salvage recovery vehicles being shipped and sold in northern states. It would make me very wary about buying something based on just pictures. How is it that the same vehicle is so cheap in Florida?
December 26th, 2014 at 3:14:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Ayecarumba
After hurricane Katrina, there was a big problem with salvage recovery vehicles being shipped and sold in northern states. It would make me very wary about buying something based on just pictures. How is it that the same vehicle is so cheap in Florida?

Also reverse is true now, with hurricane Sandy in NYC and areas flooding a lot of cars.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 26th, 2014 at 3:18:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Ayecarumba

I have found a place called Off Lease Only that so far seems to have good pricing and sells nationwide. I hear what you are saying about being wary, but a place with this many vehicles seems on the level. I will be keeping an eye on it over the next year as I get the final cash I need to cover the buy.

As to price, there is a new breed of dealer who is selling just over cost and abandoning the old way of doing business trying to grind out each sale. Online might have changed things.

If I do it and there is interest I will post an article on how it all works in case anyone else here wants to make a deal. At the least a nice trip to Florida for a few days.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>