3 votes (20%)

15 members have voted

July 16th, 2017 at 4:43:09 PM permalink
Ibeatyouraces
Threads: 0
Quote: Evenbob
They sell bulk items which Walmart does
not...

Wal-Mart does so. Those ones are just called Sam's Club.
July 27th, 2017 at 12:45:09 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just bought the 4.99 rotisserie chicken at Costco
A real nice sized bird. Very tasty, I'm impressed. Only 5 bucks. 5 bucks. This is a whole chicken.
My understanding, they lose millions on these chickens.
Will have it for a couple of meals then make some chicken salad
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 21st, 2018 at 12:41:01 PM permalink
terapined
Been comparing prices Costco vs my local grocery store Publix.
Costco way cheaper
Anything I use a lot and freshness not an issue, I buy at Costco
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Laundry detergent
Dish detergent
gasoline
Whole bean coffee, 2 LB bag.
Olive oil
sugar
tooth paste
dryer sheets
Gatorade. Just slightly cheaper then Publix but still cheaper. Costco 2.7 cents an ounce. Publix sale 3.13 cents an ounce
snacks
socks. Not really cheap but high quality at a good price

Very few impulse buys. Bought the vacuum sealed food saver. Love it. Also bought a real nice toaster oven that was an upgrade for me. Cusinart convection. I use my large oven a lot. Last toaster oven to small. This one is a perfect size, moderately bigger then my old toaster oven. Can use this a lot instead of my large oven. Bought a nice piece of outdoor furniture, gravity chair. It swings into a comfortable position and then lock in the position.

Costco just down the street from me. A lot of time I ride my bike over for exercise. Walk around eating samples and not buying, just getting exercise walking all the aisles looking for bargains then bike back home. Most of my visits to Costco, I buy nothing because many items I have bought already will last a year.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 22nd, 2018 at 4:51:00 AM permalink
PapaChubby
Quote: terapined
Been comparing prices Costco vs my local grocery store Publix.
Costco way cheaper

Most of the items you list are items that I buy at Publix. But I only buy them when they are on BOGO sale, which typically happens for any given item/brand at least once a month. Is the 50% sale price at Publix the one that you used for your comparison? I don't know much about Costco, but I find it hard to believe that they would significantly beat this price.
January 22nd, 2018 at 5:51:53 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: PapaChubby
Most of the items you list are items that I buy at Publix. But I only buy them when they are on BOGO sale, which typically happens for any given item/brand at least once a month. Is the 50% sale price at Publix the one that you used for your comparison? I don't know much about Costco, but I find it hard to believe that they would significantly beat this price.

Absolutely comparing Publix BOGO to costco.
I look at the cheapest item and whats on sale such as Bogo and costco always cheaper
The gatorade is a great comparison. When on sale at Publix, gatorade just slightly more. When not on sale. A lot more. Because i go to each store weekly, been recording prices on my smart phone.
Next time at Publix, compare yourself
Costco prices I have recordeddish
Gatorade 2.7 cents an ounce
Paper towels 1.52 per 100 sq feet
1.003 per 100 sq feet toilet paper
coffee whole beams 4.99 a LB
Olive oils 7.89 a liter or 5.31 a litre for super jumbo size
tooth paste .317 per oz
Laundry detergent .069 per load
January 22nd, 2018 at 6:01:27 AM permalink
PapaChubby
Absolutely comparing Publix BOGO to costco.
I look at the cheapest item and whats on sale such as Bogo and costco always cheaper
The gatorade is a great comparison. When on sale at Publix, gatorade just slightly more. When not on sale. A lot more. Because i go to each store weekly, been recording prices on my smart phone.

Good to know, thanks. Walmart ran some deceiving ads a few years back showing that their prices were less than Publix. But if you shopped sale prices at Publix, Walmart was way more expensive.
January 22nd, 2018 at 8:36:31 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Just bought the 4.99 rotisserie chicken at Costco
A real nice sized bird. Very tasty, I'm impressed. Only 5 bucks. 5 bucks. This is a whole chicken.
My understanding, they lose millions on these chickens.
Will have it for a couple of meals then make some chicken salad

Costco has really good take-and-bake food. They've got huge tins of lasagna, macaroni and cheese, chicken alfredo, chicken pot pie, etc. that you buy there and take home to bake in your oven. I'm particularly fond of the macaroni. It's like $10, and it lasts me a couple of weeks of lunches.

They also sell cartons of homemade chicken noodle soup that they make with those rotisserie chickens. I like that because I'm pretty sure they use a whole chicken per each carton. Lots of meat in it.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 22nd, 2018 at 11:18:52 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: PapaChubby
I don't know much about Costco, but I find it hard to believe that they would significantly beat this price.

I have a Costco card for renting cars.
Their prices are a joke, they cannot
beat Walmart. I went all thru Costco
last year and compared the prices
on what I typically buy at Walmart,
and Costco was more expensive. It's
a bulk place, I rarely buy in bulk. Plus
it's always (ALWAYS) crowded with
dunces who think they save money
there. Whatever..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 22nd, 2018 at 2:07:39 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
I joined Costco for the great rates they
have on rental cars sometimes. I rode
one of the electric scooters up and down
every aisle

I have no idea what EB looks like, but this post certainly put a vivid image in my mind and made me chuckle. Thanks EB.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
Page 6 of 6« First<3456