January 2nd, 2015 at 9:39:01 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Agree completely.
January 2nd, 2015 at 10:37:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Personally -- I hated it! It must be a chick flick. I warn any man to have nothing to do with this movie. The only good part are some very fleeting scenes of Reese Witherspoon topless in a few flashbacks. Her boobs seems somehow bigger in Legally Blonde.

Time Out rating: 3 out of 5
Most of the reviews of this film were good, with the Time Out being one of the most widely circulated bad review. The critic feels that Reese is not believable for the part, but is positively gushing about Laura Dern

The movie seems to be in frontrunner position for three Academy nominations
Actress Reese Witherspoon "Wild"
Supporting Actress Laura Dern "Wild"
Adapted screenplay Nick Hornby "Wild"

I am with the Wiz on this one, as I don't feel like watching a movie where men made this woman a promiscuous cheater and a heroin addict.
January 2nd, 2015 at 11:15:57 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I do prefer realism in movies. Stars that look like they were helicoptered in from Malibu to some location for an afternoon's shoot just don't cut it. If I were the director I'd make the start actually hike and shoot her in two day old hiking outfits ... and that pack would be realistic for sure.

Hiking? There are singles groups, hiking clubs. Often they are the nerdy self reliant types usually in good shape such as rock climbers.

Hiking in mixed groups? Can be difficult. If a girl likes her alone time in the morning, she will set off while the guys break camp and spend most of the day trying to catch up with her. Or a couple will hike for days and not see a soul so they opt to hike naked and promptly encounter a family with teenagers, or a forest ranger. Some short distance hiker meets a long distance trekker and gifts them a candy bar, .... that energy bar won't last even round the next curve in the trail. A realistic scene would be short distance male hiker, fully clothed, encounters a naked female trekking the entire trail in the opposite direction and gives her an energy bar and a smile. If they were each dressed, he might chat about mileage markers and offer her congratulations.

Traveling the rails many women go in small groups. I don't know how it is on the trails.

Flashbacks usually enhance something such as a character's motivation and I guess you really got only TWO to choose from. The motivation to embark on hiking the PCT and the motivation to keep going.

Will I enjoy the movie... sure. It has Reese Witherspoon in it. Always liked her. I don't care if the nude scene is a body double or not.

I've not read the book or seen the film... only saw some thirty second clip while playing channel roulette.

Its hard to film just the ocean or just the trail. That is why movies about solitary hikers and solitary yachtsmen don't seem to go over well.
January 2nd, 2015 at 11:34:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I did enjoy The Way where Martin Sheen, who was age 70 at the time, has to confront massive regrets as he arrives in Spain to pick up the body of his estranged and now dead son. In order to reconcile himself with his loss, he decides to undertake the traditional hike and religious pilgrimage across northern Spain (or Camino del Santiago often translated as "The Way") .

Martin Sheen is Galician, and the film was directed by his son Emilio Estevez (who plays the dead son in the beginning of the film).

Many of the hikers are confronting the realities and the mistakes of their lives, including women who are afraid of men.

This film sold roughly half a million tickets in a maximum of 283 theaters.
January 3rd, 2015 at 7:02:56 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
I did enjoy The Way ...

So did I. We've discussed it before. I thought The Way was much better than Wild. Not that The Way was fantastic but Wild is so easy to beat.

Quote:
The movie seems to be in frontrunner position for three Academy nominations
Actress Reese Witherspoon "Wild"
Supporting Actress Laura Dern "Wild"
Adapted screenplay Nick Hornby "Wild"

I don't begrudge those nominations, well maybe RW a little, but the movie as a whole just didn't cut it for me.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 3rd, 2015 at 9:26:13 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
2005 tv movie Philippe Glennister, The Walk. Charity fundraisers walk across Morrocan sands complaining, squabbling, sharing bed bugs and bed partners but eventually sort themselves out and find new priorities. Probably didn't recoup production costs.
January 4th, 2015 at 6:14:59 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
What attracted you to this movie in the first place?
January 4th, 2015 at 6:31:22 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Ayecarumba
What attracted you to this movie in the first place?

It is on my bucket list to hike the PCT.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 2 of 2<12