God loves you. So what?

December 26th, 2015 at 7:36:52 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I probably shouldn't be digging through these old encyclicals, since I'm sure most of the POLICIES put in place have been CHANGED since then... haven't they?

#79 of Divini Illius magistiri FORBIDS catholics going to non-catholic schools, except under special circumstances.

Quote:
We renew and confirm their declarations, as well as the Sacred Canons in which the frequenting of non-Catholic schools, whether neutral or mixed, those namely which are open to Catholics and non-Catholics alike, is forbidden for Catholic children, and can be at most tolerated, on the approval of the Ordinary alone, under determined circumstances of place and time, and with special precautions.

I might as well mention now that my sister in law went to a parochial school (I didn't ask which flavor) and she is left-handed, but was forced to learn to write and do other tasks with her right hand
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 26th, 2015 at 7:53:27 PM permalink
Dalex64
What I meant to suggest is rather than argue over the words and opinions of individuals who might have an incomplete understanding of the church, we should instead discuss the words as directly written by the popes themselves.

The closer we get to our year, the easier they are to understand. At least, I find Pope Francis's words easy to follow.

these are his words on climate change and other things: http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/encyclicals/documents/papa-francesco_20150524_enciclica-laudato-si.html

Quote: Pope Francis
Although it is true that we Christians have at times incorrectly interpreted the Scriptures...

we christians at times have incorrectly interpreted the scripture. meaning, at times, the scriptures have been reinterpreted. to mean something else. something they weren't at one point interpreted to mean. the teaching has changed. the meaning has been modified.

That encyclical has many reinterpretations and clarifications, even over the words in Genesis. continuing the quote

Quote: Pope Francis
... nowadays we must forcefully reject the notion that our being created in God’s image and given dominion over the earth justifies absolute domination over other creatures.

So yeah, we can probably discuss things more efficiently by referencing the relevant passages in papal bulls, encyclicals, and constitutions, at least when they have been made available in english.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 26th, 2015 at 8:10:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64

it authorizes bishops to "ban" movies

Good work, this is exactly what I said
and FrG said there was never any movies
banned by the Church. He said my young
friend was lying about movies he couldn't
see.

Quote:
No references to it being sinful to watch a banned movie, though.

Cardinal Spellman said from the pulpit at St
Patrick's that watching a condemned movie
was a mortal sin. My ex priest friend said
the same thing. Keep reading, you'll find that it
was a sin.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 26th, 2015 at 8:18:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Dalex64
Besides there is not in nature itself, which fashions the two quite different in organism, in temperament, in abilities, anything to suggest that there can be or ought to be promiscuity, and much less equality, in the training of the two sexes.

This is fantastic stuff, it shows how misogynistic
the Church really is. This crap that women can't
be priests because Jesus wouldn't like it. The
Church hates and mistrusts women.

There is to be no equality in the training of
the sexes, because men are more able? That's
about as misogynistic as it gets.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 26th, 2015 at 8:18:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
Good point.

It is a good point and it is clear that God is very real.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 26th, 2015 at 8:28:09 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

There is to be no equality in the training of
the sexes, because men are more able? That's
about as misogynistic as it gets.

Be careful here to try to make up a reason. The fact that all boys schools and all girls schools, which is what that encyclical is talking about have shown to be helpful in the education process is a reasonable thing. The equality you tease out of the quote is not referring to the quality of education but rather that we it might be important to respect the different ways young men and women learn. Do you have a problem with that? Is that misogynistic?

I do believe that looking at the words of Popes give us a much better picture of what the Church does believe than an ex-priest or your high school buddies or your bigoted views or my sometimes ignorant and always rose colored glasses in regards to the Church can provide.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 26th, 2015 at 8:31:35 PM permalink
Dalex64
Yeah Bob, if you want ammunition for your continued ripping on the church, I suggest the writings of the popes, especially if you can read them right from the vatican website. You can't get much more authoritative than that. Right from the horse's mouth, so to speak. It might dispel some misconceptions, too.
December 26th, 2015 at 8:32:09 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Good work, this is exactly what I said
and FrG said there was never any movies
banned by the Church. He said my young
friend was lying about movies he couldn't
see.

If we are going to be fair and strict with our words you said that the Church still does this and currently has a banned movie list. The encyclical of Pius XII seems to encourage and empower local Churches and groups like the Legion of Decency to ban movies or guide the faithful in discerning the new growing phenomenon of movie watching. I think it is moving the goalposts quite a bit for you to maintain that a homily by Cardinal Spellman and your friends experiences constitute proof that it still happens today.
December 26th, 2015 at 8:40:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
If we are going to be fair and strict with our words you said that the Church still does this.

And you said they NEVER did it, the people
who said they did were liars. I was mistaken
about them still doing it, but you, being a
fricking know it all priest, should have known
they once BANNED movies. Instead you
choose to say my priest friend was not properly
trained, when it's obvious YOU are the poorly
trained one. How many other 'facts' have
you gotten wrong. All of them as far as I'm
concerned.
December 26th, 2015 at 8:45:44 PM permalink
FrGamble
I wouldn't say I have gotten all of them wrong. If I said the Church never banned movies I stand corrected. I do hold that your friend, and I think he would agree with me, did not have the best priestly formation. Maybe it was the time and place he was formed as a priest, it was not his fault.