The unintended consequneces of gay marrige ballot wins?

Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »
November 12th, 2012 at 7:55:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: MonkeyMonkey

I explained my take on all of this on WoV sometime back. Basically, I think the government should get out of the marriage business and into the civil union business. A marriage should be a religious ceremony and any configuration the church is ok with should be allowed. A civil union would essentially be a business agreement recognized by the state and any configuration (partnership, corporation) should be allowed. I think to have a polygamous marriage you'd have to draw up documents (by-laws) that outlined how members could leave (divorce) or enter into the marriage at a later date.

You can already have this. POAs, joint tennancy of property ownership, whatever.
The President is a fink.
November 12th, 2012 at 10:08:05 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
They are called "feminists." Generally they tend to be the most unhappy and miserable women you will meet in your life in my experience. Rarely in a good mood or happy.

I'll be sure to tell most of the feminists I know that AZDuffman will be shocked that they aren't unhappy and miserable.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 12th, 2012 at 3:12:55 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
You can already have this. POAs, joint tennancy of property ownership, whatever.

Doesn't confer the same advantages that marriage currently does.

Quote: TheCesspit
I'll be sure to tell most of the feminists I know that AZDuffman will be shocked that they aren't unhappy and miserable.

Let them know I'm a bit puzzled by their anomalous behavior as well. Every feminist I've ever known has seemed to be having a perpetually bad day.
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
November 12th, 2012 at 5:35:28 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Are you OK with a guy with four wives living next door?
I'm okay with that.
November 12th, 2012 at 9:53:21 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62

I don't think I would enjoy being in a polygamous relationship but it's been practiced for 1000's of years and hasn't brought the world to an end yet, so I think as long as everyone is consenting I don't have a problem with it.
In Saudi Arabia its the males that consent. A female is not even present at her wedding and does not consent to it, her father merely tells her afterwards "That man is your husband, go with him".
November 12th, 2012 at 11:40:05 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
Quote: Fleastiff
In Saudi Arabia its the males that consent. A female is not even present at her wedding and does not consent to it, her father merely tells her afterwards "That man is your husband, go with him".

Right.

What that has to do with how polygamy would be implemented in the U.S. is eluding me.
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
November 13th, 2012 at 5:38:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Right.

What that has to do with how polygamy would be implemented in the U.S. is eluding me.

The USA will soon have to recognize these marriages should the members of such immigrate. Given how a few judges have begun to consider sharia law in Muslim on Muslim court cases it is not a stretch to see Muslim communities in the USA wishing to have the practice here.

Ready for that?
The President is a fink.
November 13th, 2012 at 9:23:17 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
My understanding of how it's done in Saudi Arabia is that a man can have a maximum of 4 wives and each is set up in her own house. That's quite a responsibility for the husband to provide for, and he must be able to do so or he isn't allowed another wife.

I don't think I would enjoy being in a polygamous relationship but it's been practiced for 1000's of years and hasn't brought the world to an end yet, so I think as long as everyone is consenting I don't have a problem with it.

I explained my take on all of this on WoV sometime back. Basically, I think the government should get out of the marriage business and into the civil union business. A marriage should be a religious ceremony and any configuration the church is ok with should be allowed. A civil union would essentially be a business agreement recognized by the state and any configuration (partnership, corporation) should be allowed. I think to have a polygamous marriage you'd have to draw up documents (by-laws) that outlined how members could leave (divorce) or enter into the marriage at a later date.

This could potentially cause problems for insurance companies that would have to retool a lot of forms to accommodate, but think of the employment opportunities for actuary's calculating the risk and rates for all the various possibilities...

Redefining, "Marriage" also opens the door to, what we in the U.S. would generally consider, "underage" brides. Would you be okay with a 35 year old guy living with his 12 year old "wife" next door?
November 13th, 2012 at 9:41:02 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
Redefining, "Marriage" also opens the door to, what we in the U.S. would generally consider, "underage" brides. Would you be okay with a 35 year old guy living with his 12 year old "wife" next door?

In civilized countries minors cannot marry until a certain age, and then only with their consent and that of their parents. Since that kind of an arrangement is clearly not in the itnerest of one of the parties to it, I can't see a law forcing a minor to accept such a situation.

Instead of fighting a losing battle, you should all be glad you live in a country that increasingly refuses to see people who mind their business and hurt no one as second class citizens.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 13th, 2012 at 12:13:18 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Nareed
In civilized countries minors cannot marry until a certain age, and then only with their consent and that of their parents. Since that kind of an arrangement is clearly not in the itnerest of one of the parties to it, I can't see a law forcing a minor to accept such a situation.

Instead of fighting a losing battle, you should all be glad you live in a country that increasingly refuses to see people who mind their business and hurt no one as second class citizens.

You mean India is not a "civilized" country? Check out Too Young To Wed. We, who are free, have an obligation to speak for the voiceless.
Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »