Is Satan Real

Page 4 of 25<1234567>Last »
January 10th, 2015 at 6:50:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: FrGamble
I always think the unholy trinity is: Me, Myself, and I. This is again what Satan, Lucifer, or the Devil are all about. They are all the same entity and he is all about himself. There is no room for anyone or anything else in the life of evil. It is all about me. You are only good to me if I can use you to bring me pleasure or accomplish something I want to accomplish. It is sick to think about or to write, but that is what is so unholy about it.

If you want to truly understand the devil all you need do is read the excellent book by C.S. Lewis, "The Screwtape Letters". It is one of the most amazing books I have ever read.

I will defer to Paco for the question on the anit-Christ as I bet he can give us a better answer with a lot more info than I could.

Thanks Padre. However, I can be very annoying and persistent and thus request more detail. You said they are all the same entity, but you might also say that about the father, son, and holy ghost, but I think you would deny that the terms are interchangeable.

I also thank you for reminding me about Lucifer, who I forgot about.

So, Paco, the baton has been passed to you. The question, in case you forgot, is what is the difference between:

1. Devil
  2. Satan
  3. Lucifer
  4. Anti-Christ
  5. Prince of Darkness

Thank you.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 10th, 2015 at 7:33:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It is hard to make sense out of nonsense. Sin is nonsense and non-nonsensical. .

No, sin is nonsense because it doesn't
exist. So to make it seem like it does,
webs and myths and silly rules are
applied to it to give it credence. It's
built up like a layer cake so that, by
gosh, it must exist, look how complicated
it is. Sin was invented to control people,
plain and simple.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 10th, 2015 at 9:36:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
So, Paco, the baton has been passed to you. The question, in case you forgot, is what is the difference between:
  1. Devil
  2. Satan
  3. Lucifer
  4. Anti-Christ
  5. Prince of Darkness

Thank you.

I & II) Satan is used 49 times in KJV of bible, and devil is used 109 times.
Satan proper name of the supreme evil spirit in Christianity, spelled identically in Hebrew. the name means "adversary". In Greek it is usually translated as diabolos "slanderer". So "The Devil" (capitalized) and Satan are more or less identical, just in different languages

Usually if you say "The Adversary" it is understood that you are using a proper name, and just the English translation of Satan.

III) Anti-Christ is used 4 times in singular, and 1 time in plural in KJV
The name antiChrist is often associated with the son of Satan, and the Apocalypse. In the bible it is not even clear if it is a single person, or necessarily associated with the end of days. The word is not used in Revelations, but only in epistles of Paul. A similar phrase "false christs" is used in the gospels.

Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Mark 13:22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

IV) Lucifer is used 1 time in KJV in Old Testament
The name Lucifer means "light-bringing" and the last part of the name is related to to the noun "ferry". It is used only one time in Isaiah 14:12. How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

The verse actually is referring to a King of Babylon, but the phrase "fallen from heaven" seems to be about Satan. So Lucifer has traditionally been thought of as Satan's first name, but Isaiah was actually talking about Nebuchadnezzar II ( a historical figure) who was a Chaldean king of the Neo-Babylonian Empire, who reigned c. 605 BC – 562 BC. Both the construction of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and the destruction of Jerusalem's temple are ascribed to him.

V) Prince of Darkness is not used in the KJV of bible
Wikipedia says the term Prince of Darkness comes from Milton's Paradise Lost. But I think that is incorrect as Shakespeare used the sentence, "The Prince of Darkness is a gentleman." in King Lear more than half a century before Paradise Lost was published.

So you may have found a mistake in Wikipedia with this question. (I know, big deal)
January 11th, 2015 at 1:44:25 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Thanks Paco! Good work. I hope el Padre will approve. So, if my understanding is correct the devil, Satan, and Lucifer are all the same thing and interchangeable. The Anti-Christ is the "son" of the devil.

Quote: Pacomartin
So you may have found a mistake in Wikipedia with this question. (I know, big deal)

I haven't found a mistake in Wikipedia since the time zone in Jackpot, NV!
January 11th, 2015 at 5:45:10 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Is Satan real?

What a ridiculous question. Opposing goaltenders certainly thought so. Miroslav Satan played in over 1000 games during 15 seasons in the NHL, including streaks of 305 and 253 consecutive games without an injury or healthy scratch. He scored over 300 goals and had over 700 points for his career. He was one of the best Slovakiak players of all time, and one of the most sought after jerseys ever.
January 11th, 2015 at 7:37:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
"Christ" is from a Greek word meaning "anointed."

So the Anti-Christ would be the un-anointed. This means I, you, and everyone else you know or have ever heard of qualifies for the honor.

The only exceptions I can think about are most ancient kings of Israel (assuming the practice of anointment was kept up after David), and perhaps a relative handful of other Mid-East kings and potentates where the practice might have been used.

Not sure about anyone who's ever had a hot oil hair or scalp treatment...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 11th, 2015 at 8:21:33 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Every baptism includes a couple of anointings. But the real meaning of anti is against.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 11th, 2015 at 8:27:01 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Wizard
Thanks Paco! Good work. I hope el Padre will approve. So, if my understanding is correct the devil, Satan, and Lucifer are all the same thing and interchangeable. The Anti-Christ is the "son" of the devil.

I concur but with a little more ambiguity and mystery surrounding the term "anti-Christ". This person will be like a pseudo-Messiah offering a false salvation.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 11th, 2015 at 8:51:59 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I concur but with a little more ambiguity and mystery surrounding the term "anti-Christ". This person will be like a pseudo-Messiah offering a false salvation.

Thanks Padre. A couple more questions, if I may:

1. Will the anti-Christ be of, shall we say, unholy origin, or entirely mortal, like a false prophet?
2. I seem to recall hearing something that there would be two anti-Christs in the "last days," one of the land and one of the sea. Any truth to that?
January 11th, 2015 at 10:07:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Every baptism includes a couple of anointings. But the real meaning of anti is against.

Present!
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 4 of 25<1234567>Last »