Is Satan Real

January 12th, 2015 at 12:45:16 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
{whisper= please don't ask about purgatory, please don't ask about purgatory /whisper}

(loudly) ARE YOU SELLING INDULGENCES???? ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 12th, 2015 at 12:47:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed

Dante portrays a frozen section of Hell. Satan is there. And here's one of the contradictions. Satan is described as torturing certain sinners. Why would he do this if he's "against" God?

Doesn't make sense, does it. If Satan is
against god, shouldn't he be rewarding
sinners for also being against god?
Instead, it's more like he works for god,
punishing those who misbehaved.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2015 at 1:36:13 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
We could try a simple thought experiment. Imagine yourself boiling in oil. now imagine yourself not being loved by God.

But it would be useless, as I'm sure a believer would tell me you cannot imagine the loss of God's love, or that it needs to be experienced, etc, etc.

Exactly. Even the thought of losing God's love is worse than actually being boiled alive in oil.

Dante portrays a frozen section of Hell. Satan is there. And here's one of the contradictions. Satan is described as torturing certain sinners. Why would he do this if he's "against" God?

Because... um... even in sin, God loves you? So, even though you were bad, and you didn't repent, and you found yourself in hell, you are still God's son or daughter. Your loss of God grieves God, so too will he grieve your punishment.

(How am I doing?)

Hell is supposed to get worse as you go down the nine circles. Lambau Field, I mean the frozen area, is the ninth. As I've never been burned or frozen alive , I could not say which is worse.

You've been to Vegas in May. You've not been to Grand Forks in February. There's probably a reason, and it's probably your answer.

(loudly) ARE YOU SELLING INDULGENCES???? ;)

Of course not. Selling indulgences is not possible because it is against the church. It's happened before? Well, lost child of God, fallen from the one true path, against God's will, so on and so forth.

I can't sell and you can't buy. The good news is that salvation is available to you anyway. Just repent and ask His forgiveness, let your fellow brothers and sisters shoulder your load, and make an effort to be a better person. Boom. Heaven. Maybe purgatory first, but whatever. I'll save a seat for you ;)

I wonder what sort of sin I'm committing here? Father Face, atheist pastor. Sounds like a TV show.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 12th, 2015 at 2:09:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
As I've never been burned or frozen alive , I could not say which is worse.

Fill a bathtub with 2/3s water, 1/3 ice chopped ice and get in. That should give an idea of one of those.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 12th, 2015 at 2:29:55 PM permalink
Face

I wonder what sort of sin I'm committing here? Father Face, atheist pastor. Sounds like a TV show.

Prophet: a person who speaks for God or a deity
False: not according with truth or fact; incorrect

"The Beast from the earth, according to the Book of Revelation and also referred to as the False Prophet, has often been equated with an individual Antichrist"

January 12th, 2015 at 2:40:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Exactly. Even the thought of losing God's love is worse than actually being boiled alive in oil.

How would anyone know?

Quote:
Because... um... even in sin, God loves you? So, even though you were bad, and you didn't repent, and you found yourself in hell, you are still God's son or daughter. Your loss of God grieves God, so too will he grieve your punishment.

I'm asking why Satan is helping God punish sinners, if Satan is against God's designs. It makes no sense.

Quote:
You've been to Vegas in May. You've not been to Grand Forks in February. There's probably a reason, and it's probably your answer.

I've been to Vegas in June ;)

But I don't recall feeling burned alive.

Quote:
Of course not. Selling indulgences is not possible because it is against the church.

I saw a guy in Vegas advertising them for sale, but I don't think he was a real priest.

Quote:
Just repent and ask His forgiveness, let your fellow brothers and sisters shoulder your load, and make an effort to be a better person. Boom. Heaven. Maybe purgatory first, but whatever. I'll save a seat for you ;)

So you're saying we won't meet in this life? ;)

I've done things I regret, none involved God (or Zeus, Athena or any other deity; though one fashion faux pas might have been an offense to Aphrodite).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 12th, 2015 at 3:00:04 PM permalink
Face
How would anyone know?

Because the Bible tells me so.
(I think I'm getting the hang of this ;))

I'm asking why Satan is helping God punish sinners, if Satan is against God's designs. It makes no sense.

Because Satan isn't punishing you. He's attempting to hurt God. You are His most favorite creation, one to which he gave all His love. What better way to hurt someone than to hurt the ones He loves?

I saw a guy in Vegas advertising them for sale, but I don't think he was a real priest.

A real priest deals only in love, and issues it at no cost. All you need do is ask.
(Seriously, though... I am getting good at this =D)

So you're saying we won't meet in this life? ;)

Not if you're going to Vegas in bloody JUNE! Unless you can fireman carry a 200lb man while wearing heels ;)

I've done things I regret, none involved God (or Zeus, Athena or any other deity; though one fashion faux pas might have been an offense to Aphrodite).

Again with the literal LOL. "Offense to Aphrodite". That's good stuff XD
January 12th, 2015 at 3:20:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Because Satan isn't punishing you. He's attempting to hurt God.

But that makes no sense. If he wanted
to hurt god, he would reward sinners,
further separating them from god. But
instead he's god's prison warden. Not
very well thought out.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2015 at 3:35:45 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Evenbob
Because Satan isn't punishing you. He's attempting to hurt God.

But that makes no sense. If he wanted
to hurt god, he would reward sinners,
further separating them from god. But
instead he's god's prison warden. Not
very well thought out.

Aww, crap. Hold on, I haven't fully dressed yet...

Ok. And lo! Again we talk about The Deceiver, and etc, a ding-a-ling and we pray.

I fell into colloquialism. My fault, not yours.

Satan doesn't "punish". Satan doesn't have the power to punish. Satan, on his own, is really quite weak. He can't make you do anything, force you to do anything, or do anything directly to you. He can only whisper. And what he whispers is deception.

He's easy to resist. He's no warlock or mage. He's no charmer like Dracula. He just whispers, looking for someone weak. For someone who has turned from God.

The "punishment" is God's and God's alone. Only He has the power to punish. Your punishment, in hell, is the loss of His love and His light. Oh sure, Satan will torment you. But he doesn't out of punishment, or out of cooperation with God. He does so because he hates all things God, and you are a thing of God. He does so because he's a scared old mutt, biting at anything within his reach.

Satan doesn't punish. He can't. Only God can. Whatever looks like "punishment" is just the actions of an evil, mindless tormenter.

(My feet hurt)
January 12th, 2015 at 3:43:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Whatever looks like "punishment" is just the actions of an evil, mindless tormenter.

But Satan is never portrayed as mindless. He
is clever and wily beyond measure. He's
the trickster, the deceiver. It's all myth made
to scare children anyway, why do the details
matter.

Truth is, crime does pay, that's why people
do it. Most crimes go unpunished. Satan
was invented to scare people and it works,
to a certain extent.