And the Oscar goes to a movie you have never seen

March 28th, 2022 at 7:41:18 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: ams288
Totally missed that. I was wondering why they kept cutting to the blank “Oscars” screen during his speech.

I thought they did that because of the slippage too, but there is a different opinion stated at WoV.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 28th, 2022 at 1:48:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Chris Rock deserved it. Will Smith's wife has a disease that caused her to lose all her hair on her body and Chris Rock made fun of her. Will Smith should have knocked him out. There's a line you do not cross.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 28th, 2022 at 2:03:04 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Chris Rock is somewhat of an expert on Black hair
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 28th, 2022 at 2:06:21 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Chris Rock deserved it. Will Smith's wife has a disease that caused her to lose all her hair on her body and Chris Rock made fun of her. Will Smith should have knocked him out. There's a line you do not cross.

I believe strongly that an insult of a man's wife or mother is much worse than an insult of the man himself. That is probably as far as we might agree on this one.

In my opinion, the insult was not that bad. Chris Rock goes after everybody and it's usually a lot worse coming from him. It would be one thing of Rock's wife was not an actress, but Jada Pinkett chose a profession in the public eye.

Chris Rock has my full support on this one (not that he would ever know or care). The joke was fair and the way he handled it on stage was perfect.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 28th, 2022 at 2:19:26 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard
I believe strongly that an insult of a man's wife or mother is much worse than an insult of the man himself. That is probably as far as we might agree on this one.

In my opinion, the insult was not that bad. Chris Rock goes after everybody and it's usually a lot worse coming from him. It would be one thing of Rock's wife was not an actress, but Jada Pinkett chose a profession in the public eye.

Chris Rock has my full support on this one (not that he would ever know or care). The joke was fair and the way he handled it on stage was perfect.

I agree
It was a joke
By the way this is really good
The whole thing is on youtube for free
It's actually a hoot
https://youtu.be/PpgIJUW0VxE
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 28th, 2022 at 2:29:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard

WOW do we disagree on this. I was just listening to another comedian saying every comedian knows that you do not make fun of people who have physical things wrong with them that they cannot change. You can make fun of a fat person but not someone who is disfigured, for example. What Chris Rock did was beyond despicable, he made fun of her in front of her friends her peers and the entire world. He humiliated her and Will Smith got up and bitch slapped him for it. It's a gut instinct thing, when somebody insults your wife in public in front of her friends you humiliate him. Losing all the hair on your body to a disease is devastating to a woman. I'm sure it has put him and his wife through hell and I can't blame Will Smith at all what he did. In fact I really admire him for it. Hugely. And these men are not young. They are extremely wealthy men in their fifties. There is just some things you do not tolerate at any age.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 28th, 2022 at 2:36:57 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Smith should have kept this old adage in mind before he walked up and bitch-slapped Rock: "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me."

The fact that his wife was the target of the joke changes nothing: Smith should be arrested and also sued for assault.

I mean, he hit a black man and as we all know now "Black Lives Matter."

Oh wait a minute, is there a double standard?

You know, how if a white calls a black "the N word" all hell breaks loose but it's cool, even expected for blacks to say it to one another?

Does not compute.
March 28th, 2022 at 3:16:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If you decide to punch someone out, even if a lot of people sympathize with you, you got to man up and accept society has a right to punish you for vigilante justice. At least by US law.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 28th, 2022 at 3:27:30 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I’m definitely team Chris Rock on this one.

If you are upset by a comic’s joke, you don’t get to beat up the comic.

Earlier this month I was on a cruise, and the stand up comedian made a harmless joke about No. 2 Pencils (of all things!) and it set this kindergarten teacher off! She lost her mind! Started screaming at the comic from the audience about how little kids need No. 2 Pencils. The audience heckled her outta there and she went to guest services to complain.

The comic was like “I tell jokes about blacks, Jews, gays, and it’s No. 2 Pencils that set this woman off?! That’s the funniest thing I’ve ever seen!”

“No. 2 Pencils” became a running joke for the rest of the cruise.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 28th, 2022 at 3:47:27 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I did not see the event happen in real time, I only saw clips after the fact.

It seemed like Will Smith was laughing at the joke, then got a nasty look from his wife and then responded, almost like he had to impress her (again the clips I saw could be edited to make it seem that way).

I do know at roasts generally there are opportunities to state topics that are off limit. I do not know if the Academy Awards do this (I could ask my father, but he has not worked them since the 70s, maybe early 80s, so I am sure things were very different back then).

I have also been told that Will Smith has told Chris Rock to not bring up his wife in prior contexts (I don't know if this was true, but several people at work brought this up that are more into celebrity stuff than me). If this is true it makes his actions somewhat more justified. If its not true, then its bad.

Chris Brown is a great comedian who makes many edgy jokes, was this over the line? Maybe. Was it really that bad? Not at all. If Chris Rock did not know her medical condition, and thought it was a choice to have short hair, its a borderline trivial jokes (friends tease each other over haircut choices endlessly, I know women take it a bit more seriously, but same concept). The point being if Chris Rock did not know the reason for her short hair, and was not told to not joke about his wife, the joke was completely acceptable, if he was told the reasons behind the short hair, it would only be slightly over the line. In either case, Will Smith overreacted, and violence is never justified. I like Will Smith and Chris Rock, so hopefully they can put this behind them.

For example, not too long ago, I got a very high and tight haircut (more so than my normal haircut) and my boss pointed at my hair and said, "Wow did you forget your Hitler youth uniform", and I replied with something like, "Shouldn't you be at your Rogain appointment" (he is balding and shaved his head, I don't know if there is a medical reason behind it, and it really is irrelevant, and this is the big boss you can fire me on the spot). Are either of these comments appropriate? Probably not. And, reading them out loud sounds bad, but it's just common banter, neither of us lost sleep over it, people make fun of hair (or lack of it), this is not abnormal (probably between, friends, coworkers, Army, etc... I could think of literally hundreds of examples going back to high school where people roast each other for hair cuts, hair styles, or not having hair -this is very common-). For example if you have a high and tight, expect endless Nazi jokes, if you have long hair expect hippy jokes, if you have no hair expect Chemo/Rogain jokes (this can actually breed Nazi/Skinhead jokes as well), its just how it is (are any of these professional or appropriate no, but its just banter).

I think some people just need a thicker skin and to go along with banter (and learn how to send it back) instead of blasting off and getting physcial. Especially if you are at a roast. Chris Rock is a comedian. And, all he did was joke on a hairstyle (in a very mundane way, I routinely hear much worse). Will Smith overreacted even if you grant the most extreme circumstance where Chris Rock crossed the line the furthest (knew the history, and was told not to, etc...), but this is assuming that this is true (and even then its only slightly over the line). Also, sometimes there is a reason to not tell a comic to not bring up something especially during a roast (because this instantly paints a target on that thing, its like if during a friends roast, you say, "OK guys my nose scar is off limits because it makes me uncomfortable", guess what everyone targets first, its like that Office Episode were people put on the board stuff that they do not want people in the office to make fun of....)