And the Oscar goes to a movie you have never seen

March 28th, 2022 at 4:38:07 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
WOW do we disagree on this. I was just listening to another comedian saying every comedian knows that you do not make fun of people who have physical things wrong with them that they cannot change. You can make fun of a fat person but not someone who is disfigured, for example. What Chris Rock did was beyond despicable, he made fun of her in front of her friends her peers and the entire world. He humiliated her and Will Smith got up and bitch slapped him for it. It's a gut instinct thing, when somebody insults your wife in public in front of her friends you humiliate him. Losing all the hair on your body to a disease is devastating to a woman. I'm sure it has put him and his wife through hell and I can't blame Will Smith at all what he did. In fact I really admire him for it. Hugely. And these men are not young. They are extremely wealthy men in their fifties. There is just some things you do not tolerate at any age.

I don't think you're taking the whole thing in context. Everyone in the limelight gets made fun of at the Oscars. Jada wasn't pointed out as anybody's wife, she is a celebrity in her own right and as such should be table to take it.

Point taken that it's a cheap shot to go after a physical defect. I wonder if you will cast that stone at Trump when he mocked a reporter with a disability.

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX9reO3QnUA

Between the context of it being the Oscars and it being what I thought was a silly joke, not only can I forgive Rock for the joke, but he didn't do anything needing of forgiveness.

I think you could stand to watch more more Joan Rivers and Don Rickles.

I'll admit that I love a good insult comic. Lisa Lampanelli is my favorite.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 28th, 2022 at 5:09:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
It's probably Demi Moore who should be insulted. She was 33 when GI Jane was made. Bald head or not, it shouldn't be an insult to be compared to her.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 28th, 2022 at 5:10:23 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Will Smith released a statement:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 28th, 2022 at 5:15:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
How about being compared to Phyllis Diller with hair. RIP. I liked Phyllis, but she wasn't exactly a looker.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 28th, 2022 at 5:30:37 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: ams288
Will Smith released a statement:

Good apology. I wouldn't change a word.
March 28th, 2022 at 5:51:58 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
No doubt he gave his speech writer a high five (open handed, of course).
March 28th, 2022 at 7:22:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I don't think you're taking the whole thing in context. Everyone in the limelight gets made fun of at the Oscars.

I've read from several sources that Will Smith has warned Chris Rock in the past not to make jokes about his wife. That's why he yelled at Chris Rock from the seat to keep his mouth shut about his wife. This was the last straw apparently, and Chris Rock rightfully got slapped for it. Trump is not a comedian he wasn't making fun of somebody's wife. If it's true that Will Smith had warned him in the past then he's got nobody to blame but himself. I'm surprised at the number of women coming forward and applauding Will Smith saying they wish their husbands was stand up for them like that. What Chris Rock did has nothing to do with the kind of humor from Joan Rivers and Don Rickles. In fact Don Rickles got chased off the stage more than once in Las Vegas by a pissed-off husband. Instead of staying there and waiting to be slapped he just ran away.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 28th, 2022 at 7:44:38 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I've read from several sources that Will Smith has warned Chris Rock in the past not to make jokes about his wife.

I have heard that from zero sources. Even if it's true, it doesn't justify what Smith did, as I still say it was a mild jab. Jada should have stayed home if she or her husband were worried about a joke or two at her expense.

Maybe some delicate shrinking violets are applauding Will and I don't really care. Give me a tough woman who can take a joke over women like that every time.

We have probably taken this as far as we can. I'd like to close my argument with a roast by Lisa Lampanelli

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q55B7Q8-Vik
March 29th, 2022 at 2:57:32 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Chris Rock deserved it. Will Smith's wife has a disease that caused her to lose all her hair on her body and Chris Rock made fun of her. Will Smith should have knocked him out. There's a line you do not cross.

If Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, made the joke, the coward Smith would have laughed it off.

Her follicles are very much intact.

Embarrassed by an earlier reference to his open marriage by another host, Smith had to prove his manhood to the millions of viewers, and approached the much smaller Chris Rock with a smile, before sucker punching him.

"Regina then went to point at Will Smith, who was seated with his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith. The host took a dig at their apparent open marriage. Regina, in an attempt to call ‘single’ Will Smith on the stage, said, “Will Smith, you're married but you know what you're on the list and it looks like Jada approved you, so you get on up here”, hinting at their open marriage. Will waived Regina’s offer and Jada took it rather well and laughed it out."
March 29th, 2022 at 9:02:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Good apology. I wouldn't change a word.

He got the crucial justification into the apology.
"Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada's medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally."