And the Oscar goes to a movie you have never seen

Page 10 of 12« First<789101112>
April 1st, 2022 at 8:12:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Maybe someone else can think of one actor who is indispensable to a part. That no one else can play. I can't. Some people are wistful for Sean Connery as the best James Bond, but his leaving didn't kill the franchise.

Men in Black: International (the fourth movie) grossed $80 million in the United States and Canada, and $173.9 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $253.9 million.

Will Smith was replaced with a female in that movie: Tessa Thompson.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 2nd, 2022 at 12:00:04 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Will Smith Resigns from Motion Picture Academy

Big deal, he'll be back. Hollywood has a very short memory. And he's an oscar-winning black guy, he's not going anywhere because he makes money for the people who produce movies. And it Hollywood that's all that matters.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 2nd, 2022 at 1:03:45 AM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
Will Smith Resigns from Motion Picture Academy

Big deal, he'll be back. Hollywood has a very short memory. And he's an oscar-winning black guy, he's not going anywhere because he makes money for the people who produce movies. And it Hollywood that's all that matters.

I was thinking something along those lines. Does anyone really think the extremely successful, talented, deep seated, Wealthy, beloved, etc Will Smith is going to become a has been over a slap and some cusswords? That he apologized for the same night?
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
April 2nd, 2022 at 5:03:54 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Will Smith’s career will be fine.

“Resigning from the Academy” just means he can’t vote for the Oscars anymore.

He can still make any movie he wants. I believe I just read he is making a sequel to I Am Legend (bring back that poor dog!).
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 2nd, 2022 at 6:05:21 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: ams288
He can still make any movie he wants. I believe I just read he is making a sequel to I Am Legend (bring back that poor dog!).

You're right. Coming out in November.

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTuokF7-RXA

I thought Dr. Neville died in the first movie (sorry if this is a spoiler to anyone). I just learned there is an alternate ending where he doesn't die.

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPSk30qzgFs

I don't know how the sequel will deal with bringing Neville back to life.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 2nd, 2022 at 7:35:27 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
So, it really makes no difference, but reading more into alopecia, its pretty common in people 50+, 50 on the rates are around 80% for men and 50% for women.
Its not some rare disorder.

And, Chris rock still stands by that he did not know the condition, but even if he did, the joke was 100% within the line.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10678999/Bill-Maher-says-Jada-Pinkett-Smith-lucky-alopecia-biggest-medical-complaint.html

Alopecia is just the medical term for balding. IE what virtually everyone experiences eventually (the longer you live, eventually you will experience it).... Most normal people just say "balding" which is why when people hear "alopecia" it sounds like something serious...

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/hair-loss/types/alopecia

This is parallel to saying you can't make fun of somebody's wife for being fat at a roast, because "obesity" is a medical condition..... Which would be absurd.... But, its the exact same concept. You are coating a physical attribute in a medical condition to justify outrage.

I mean every physical attribute is technically a medical and/or genetic condition, so where do we draw the line? The answer for roasts is, we don't, if you are at a roast you and your family are going to be targeted, this is comedy 101...... If you can't handle the heat don't go to a roast.

Also, I stand by my view that this was a very mild joke, she had a shaved head and a green outfit, so when you are going off script it makes total sense that "GI Jane" would pop into his mind. I just do not understand the outrage or the justifications for violence.
April 2nd, 2022 at 8:13:56 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: ams288
Will Smith’s career will be fine.

“Resigning from the Academy” just means he can’t vote for the Oscars anymore.

Plenty of actors have had movies come out up to a year later after they actually died. The near future isn't actually emblematic of their career.

That said, he's got plenty of money and can produce his own stuff. But even top tier stars have competition for choice roles. Given the choice to go with someone else with equal box office draw, some directors might choose to go to another person first.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 2nd, 2022 at 10:35:44 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Gandler
I just do not understand the outrage or the justifications for violence.

I agree 100%. Not just this, but your entire post.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 2nd, 2022 at 11:33:01 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Gandler

I mean every physical attribute is technically a medical and/or genetic condition, so where do we draw the line?

Generally I would distinguish, that a true "disability" doesn't generally double as a fashion statement in other instances. If you're born with freckles all over, you may be distressed by it, but some people like that look. The effects of aging occur at different time. Some people go gray in their thirties.

Steve Martin = The comedian's hair and beard were originally a dark brown, but he went prematurely gray by the time he was 32, according to a Rolling Stone profile from 1977.

And more than a few people have a fit seeing the first gray hairs in their 50s. Distressing condition for some. Not for others.
April 2nd, 2022 at 11:34:22 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine

And more than a few people have a fit seeing the first gray hairs in their 50s. Distressing condition for some. Not for others.

Some of us are just happy to have hair and really don't care what color it is. Without hair I would look like Charlie Brown.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 10 of 12« First<789101112>