Who are happier -- Christians or Atheists?

Page 25 of 25« First<22232425
March 2nd, 2015 at 6:47:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
Don't take my word for it, I passed Hebrew by the skin of my teeth. It was taught in Italian so I had to double translate everything, it was crazy.

Languages tend to have simple rules for plurals, which turn out to have as many exceptions as all the other rules. For instance, both in Spanish and English, plurals usually end in "s." But in both you get plurals without the "s" ending, and singulars ending in "s."

Take "analysis." That's singular in both languages. In Spanish the plural is also "analysis." In English is supposed to be "analyses," which is pronounced exactly like "analysis."

I forget the rules in Hebrew for plurals (I never paid much attention to it). I think often it involves an "m" ending. I do recall there are words ending in "m" that can be used as plural and singular regardless.

So, you speak Italian? That's really interesting.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 2nd, 2015 at 6:19:36 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I don't have a gift for languages so I had to learn Italian by force, meaning that I was sent to Rome for my seminary studies and the classes were all in Italian. Right now all that remains is my restaurant Italian.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 2nd, 2015 at 7:37:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Evenbob
The guy who was the evangelical minister and
gave it up for atheism says, it took him years
to realize the 'god' he thought was loving
him and caring about him was a completely
made up type of 'secret friend'. Children will
believe Santa is real for a very long time if
somebody doesn't set them straight.

Some will believe in Santa into adulthood
if they don't have it explained to them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 3rd, 2015 at 10:50:33 AM permalink
Nareed
I don't have a gift for languages so I had to learn Italian by force, meaning that I was sent to Rome for my seminary studies and the classes were all in Italian.

That sounds a lot like how I spent my time in Hebrew and Yiddish classes. That, and the learning by rote favored at the time. And a desire to forget, too.

From time to time I think I should learn Italian, but then I think "And what will I do with it?" I'm not interested in Italian literature or cinema in particular. Short of traveling frequently to Italy, there's no reasonable purpose.
March 3rd, 2015 at 4:13:32 PM permalink
FrGamble
In Europe if you ever met a non-Italian who spoke Italian you could be absolutely certain they also spoke English and most likely French, Spanish, and a little German. It is the last language those outside of Italy learn in Europe. It is beautiful though.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 3rd, 2015 at 5:14:44 PM permalink
Nareed
It is beautiful though.

To quote Victor Hugo yet again: "?"

There are too many "CH" sounds (as in CHair). Waaaaaaaaaay too many. It's very annoying.

If I ever decide to learn a pointless language, I'll go with either Latin or Ancient Egyptian.
March 3rd, 2015 at 5:33:01 PM permalink
FrGamble
Go for Latin it's a nice language.
December 23rd, 2016 at 11:10:38 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Xmas gift for me:

Belief in God Drops Ten Points Behind Atheism in Two Years

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/12/23/belief-god-drops-ten-points-behind-atheism-two-years/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 25 of 25« First<22232425