Was Jesus God?

Page 2 of 66<12345>Last »
November 30th, 2015 at 2:49:35 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
However, while Muslims might claim to be a religion of Abraham and worship YHWH neither Christians or Jews I think would agree.

You know Jews don't agree with Christianity either, don't you?

From what I've read and seen, too, half of Christians disagree with the other two halves of Christians :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 30th, 2015 at 3:18:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed

From what I've read and seen, too, half of Christians disagree with the other two halves of Christians :)

And those halves disagree with the
other halves. On and on. The answer
is so simple, they overlook it. Because
none of it is true, there is no 'center'
to bind them all together, there is
no god. So whatever you want to spew
is the 'truth' and how big your group
gets is dependent on how good a salesman
you are. Mormons are especially good
at sales, they send droves of young
people out on 2 year missions, peddling
their drivel door to door. Literally peddling,
they ride bikes.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 30th, 2015 at 3:41:19 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Wiz, I too agree that there is always a time to stand up to evil and to protect the innocent and that is something that Christians have always understood. Turning the other cheek does not mean to become a milk toast. It is much harder in fact to stand your ground without falling into hatred or perpetuating more violence.

We seem to be in agreement on this. However, can you give me some scripture to back up your position? What would you say to Christians who are all-the-way pacifists?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 30th, 2015 at 3:48:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
culminating in the sacrifice of Christ and the example of non-violence and the power of love.

"Power of love'? Yeah, all those Jews that
were forcibly converted sure felt the love.
And felt it again when the arm of the Church
checked up on them to see if they were
faking the conversion. A whole lotta love
there. The examples of this love that the
Church has heaped on humanity is legion.
Hypocritical doesn't even cover it. The LGBT
community is feeling the brunt of that love
today, and are they happy? What do you
think.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 30th, 2015 at 5:17:52 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Let me be clear YHWH never changes into another God no more than the same teacher who first taught you arithmetic changes when they teach you calculus. Allah of course is just the Arabic word for God as the unpronounceable YHWH was for the Jews. Islam does share many of the stories of the OT and the NT, especially in regards to Jesus who they regard as a great prophet. They might believe that it is all the same God but obviously what the Quran teaches is very different. Just as you wrongly believe there is no God that does not make it true.

Wiz, I would recommend reading 1 and 2 Maccabees some of my all time favorite scripture passages come from those books about a heroic family who stood up to a persecution aimed at destroying the Jewish faith.

Another thing to remember is that there is still one Church that traces its beginning back to Christ and still for the majority of time that there have been Christians on Earth they were all one as members of this Church that we call Catholic today. There is no other institution or country or anything that has ever lasted for 2,000 years and more like the Catholic Church has. So I guess in a certain way using Evenbob's argument he has kind of proved the uniqueness of the Church and the existence of God that has held the Church together for so long even with some sinful men inside the Church trying to destroy it through sinful acts of greed, power grabbing, oppression, and violence. The power of love as seen in Pope Francis and for the vast majority of time the Church has existed continues to win out.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 30th, 2015 at 5:29:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Wiz, I would recommend reading 1 and 2 Maccabees some of my all time favorite scripture passages come from those books about a heroic family who stood up to a persecution aimed at destroying the Jewish faith.

Not content with adding a false prophet and worshipping a man as a god, the goyim, had to add books to the Old Testament....

Quote:
Another thing to remember is that there is still one Church that traces its beginning back to Christ

If only we knew which of the ones that claim to do so actually do!

Quote:
There is no other institution or country or anything that has ever lasted for 2,000 years and more like the Catholic Church has.

This is patently false. 1) The Eastern Church is even older, and 2) Egypt has existed as a nation since at least 2,000 BCE.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 30th, 2015 at 5:33:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Let me be clear YHWH never changes into another God

Then Jesus is Yahweh and Yahweh is Allah
and Yahweh is who everybody prays to.
Forget the details right now, the three major
religions of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity
all pray to the same god.

Don't you find that a bit uncomfortable? I
don't believe in god, but you do. It would
drive me crazy the god I was praying to is
the same god that tells Muslims to blow
up buses in Israel.
November 30th, 2015 at 5:56:15 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
Not content with adding a false prophet and worshipping a man as a god, the goyim, had to add books to the Old Testament....

You mean the books from which we get the celebration of Hanukah?

Quote:
If only we knew which of the ones that claim to do so actually do!

Not sure what you mean here.

Quote:
This is patently false. 1) The Eastern Church is even older, and 2) Egypt has existed as a nation since at least 2,000 BCE.

1) The Eastern Church is the same thing as the Western Church for over 1,000 years. 2) Egypt is a very different country today than it was 1,000 years ago much less even further back.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 30th, 2015 at 6:00:12 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Then Jesus is Yahweh and Yahweh is Allah
and Yahweh is who everybody prays to.
Forget the details right now, the three major
religions of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity
all pray to the same god.

You got the first four words right but then you forget the details and don't seem to recognize that one group thinking they pray to YHWH does not make it so.

Quote:
Don't you find that a bit uncomfortable? I
don't believe in god, but you do. It would
drive me crazy the god I was praying to is
the same god that tells Muslims to blow
up buses in Israel.

Isn't it clear that the concept of God in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam is different? Just like it doesn't make me uncomfortable when you say there is no God it does not make me uncomfortable that Muslims have their own beliefs.
November 30th, 2015 at 6:53:26 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Even Jesus himself was the descendant of some pretty horrible people. Read Matthew 1 for the genealogy leading up to Christ. Matthew could have not written down these names, but he chose those names for a purpose.

There was Tamar, who in Genesis 38: "13 When Tamar was told, “Your father-in-law is on his way to Timnah to shear his sheep,” 14 she took off her widow’s clothes, covered herself with a veil to disguise herself, and then sat down at the entrance to Enaim, which is on the road to Timnah. For she saw that, though Shelah had now grown up, she had not been given to him as his wife.
15 When Judah saw her, he thought she was a prostitute, for she had covered her face. 16 Not realizing that she was his daughter-in-law, he went over to her by the roadside and said, “Come now, let me sleep with you.” “And what will you give me to sleep with you?” she asked. 17 “I’ll send you a young goat from my flock,” he said. “Will you give me something as a pledge until you send it?” she asked. 18 He said, “What pledge should I give you?” “Your seal and its cord, and the staff in your hand,” she answered. So he gave them to her and slept with her, and she became pregnant by him. 19 After she left, she took off her veil and put on her widow’s clothes again.

Then there is Rahab, in Joshua 2, who is also a prostitute.

All three religions have the same history.
Page 2 of 66<12345>Last »