Was Jesus God?

December 3rd, 2015 at 9:29:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
It may be time to update your definition and understanding.

Let me talk slower so you'll understand better.
You can be the Gayest person on earth, you
can have emotional relationships with a new
man every week. You can feel Gay, look Gay,
act Gay, be Gay. But in the eyes of the law,
and of the Church, you are not Gay because
you aren't having Gay sex. And in the eyes
of a lot of Gay people themselves.

It may be time for you to understand what your church
is all about. It doesn't give a fig what your sexual
orientation is, because unless you're doing the
sexual act, in the eyes of the Church (and the law)
it's meaningless. And you know it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 3rd, 2015 at 9:48:02 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
You keep digging a hole for yourself in your stereotypes of gay people. You can't tell by how someone acts or dresses or by their intrests if they are gay. "Gaydar" is an awful myth and again I think it is offensive. The Church as well as professional people who study and think deeply about these things realize that homosexual people cannot be defined or reduced to their outward appearance or sexual practices. Let me speak slowly too so you understand. You do not have to have gay sex to be a homosexual. Also please don't tell me what the Church teaches or believes. However, you are correct that the Church doesn't give a fig what your orientation is because you are loved equally either way and all are precious children of God. Why are you so hung up on sexual activity?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 3rd, 2015 at 10:53:55 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Nareed
But not many people keep binge drinking after college,
It's only binge drinking, if you take breaks.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 3rd, 2015 at 10:58:22 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
edited
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 4th, 2015 at 5:08:47 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: Evenbob
Let me talk slower so you'll understand better.
You can be the Gayest person on earth, you
can have emotional relationships with a new
man every week. You can feel Gay, look Gay,
act Gay, be Gay. But in the eyes of the law,
and of the Church, you are not Gay because
you aren't having Gay sex. And in the eyes
of a lot of Gay people themselves.

It may be time for you to understand what your church
is all about. It doesn't give a fig what your sexual
orientation is, because unless you're doing the
sexual act, in the eyes of the Church (and the law)
it's meaningless. And you know it.

Wrong. If I have a homosexual experience as a teenager does that make me gay, or am I just experimenting? If I die a virgin, what does that make me? If you are married to one of the opposite sex and am fantasizing your entire life about your same sex guy at the gym and don't have sex with your wife what does that make you? In the eyes of the law here in Canada, you mark off married no matter what sex of the marriage, so in the eyes of the law today, marriage is marriage (heterosexual or homosexual). So, the law doesn't define it.

In the eyes of the Christian church, a thought of gay sex is sin, just as much as the thought have having heterosexual sex outside of marriage is sin. It's all sin. That's why, even if you don't engage in sinful behavior, you are still not perfect in the eyes of God. Everyone sins. It's no big deal. I accept it. I am sure when Fr reads posts a violent thought flashes before him. Sin.

As a Christian, belief in Christ, genuine repentance and the acceptance that He died on the cross for us absolves us and gives us everlasting life. That's how we roll in Christianity. It does not prevent cancer nor does it objectively affect our life on earth. Spiritually for Christians it is a completely different matter. I prefer to live my life with God and reap all of the "fake" and "delusional" spiritual benefits I get from it than live in the reality that science and the observable universe predicts. In some ways people of faith are indeed delusional because they believe in something that cannot be proven, is based on stories that are at best historically stretched and continue to believe despite all of the crap going in the world in and outside their lives that a REAL God should take care of. Yep, I said it. Religious people are delusional, by definition, we have to be.

And Nareed, you get upset at Fr's condescending. I need to point out that your arguments and thoughts have been equally as offensive and equally as condescending in my view.
December 4th, 2015 at 6:31:07 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Same sex marriage is not allowed in the Church but same sex couples can be a good choice for parents for lots of reasons. You are taking what I said way too far. There are also lots of reasons that straight couples would not be good choices for parents. It looks like you are the one at war against imaginary Eastasia.

So faced with a same sex couple who want to baptize their child and want a transgender person to be the godparent, your church would welcome them with open arms and respect their wishes?

And we know that your church thinks same sex couples can be good parents, because many Catholic adoption agencies have closed up rather than help same sex couples adopt.

Look, what your church does is its decision. But hypocrisy makes any "sin" worse. When the church tells us "We reject who you are and everything you do. We love you. You are a good person and act morally most of the time. You're going to Hell because you refuse to make yourself miserable., Your love is good and spiritual, but you'll be damned if you dare express it like the vast majority of the population," all I hear is Newspeak and outright obfuscation. And I don't care if the idea comes from a man who's been dead for 2,000 years, or an imaginary deity, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or the one true God Marduk. It also makes no difference how often you repeat it. You will not turn oppression into love, ever.

Say what you mean: All people are equal in the eyes of our imaginary god, but straight cisgender married men are more equal than the rest.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 4th, 2015 at 6:33:10 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: boymimbo
And Nareed, you get upset at Fr's condescending. I need to point out that your arguments and thoughts have been equally as offensive and equally as condescending in my view.

It takes at least two to make peace. It takes only one to make war.
December 4th, 2015 at 7:07:07 AM permalink
Nareed
In the eyes of the Christian church, a thought of gay sex is sin, just as much as the thought have having heterosexual sex outside of marriage is sin. It's all sin.

And some are more equal than others.

See, it's not a sin for a man or a woman to think about having sex with their spouse (at least I suppose it's not). But if a man thinks about sex with his husband or a woman with her wife, then it's a sin.

So it's all the same, but for some people it's more the same than for others.

In other words, it's discriminatory.
December 4th, 2015 at 11:39:17 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
So faced with a same sex couple who want to baptize their child and want a transgender person to be the godparent, your church would welcome them with open arms and respect their wishes?

What is required for baptism of a child is the reasonable hope that the child will be raised in the Catholic faith and a godparent needs to be a baptized and confirmed practicing Catholic.

Quote:
And we know that your church thinks same sex couples can be good parents, because many Catholic adoption agencies have closed up rather than help same sex couples adopt.

The reason Catholic adoption agencies were closed is because they were forced to not show any preference. They had the audacity to believe that a child will do better if possible with a mother and a father. Even that simple reasonable preference was not allowed without losing the necessary federal funds so they were really forced to close. It is really quite sad because everyone recognizes the great work they did.

Quote:
When the church tells us ... It also makes no difference how often you repeat it. You will not turn oppression into love, ever.

All that matters is if you will really listen. The Church does not reject who you are and everything you do. We love you. You are a good person and we all sin. You are going to Heaven because God understands your challenges much better than we do and is infinitely compassionate. All true love is good. However expressing your love is limited for the vast majority of people. Children love parents, friends love each other, and we are called to love the stranger, the poor, the homeless, and even our enemies. What you want is genital activity and that is reserved to husband and wife who are male and female - natural law shows us this. It makes no difference how often you say it our bodies show us that the love of two men or two women was not meant to be expressed in the way you want. Even without God or the flying spaghetti monster this reality is not oppression.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 4th, 2015 at 11:46:20 AM permalink
FrGamble

As a Christian, belief in Christ, genuine repentance and the acceptance that He died on the cross for us absolves us and gives us everlasting life. That's how we roll in Christianity. It does not prevent cancer nor does it objectively affect our life on earth. Spiritually for Christians it is a completely different matter. I prefer to live my life with God and reap all of the "fake" and "delusional" spiritual benefits I get from it than live in the reality that science and the observable universe predicts. In some ways people of faith are indeed delusional because they believe in something that cannot be proven, is based on stories that are at best historically stretched and continue to believe despite all of the crap going in the world in and outside their lives that a REAL God should take care of. Yep, I said it. Religious people are delusional, by definition, we have to be.

I will only go along with you on this if at the same time we recognize how delusional we all are every day. The strangest modern philosophical idea that has infected us all is that we need proof in the sense of math or science to believe in something or make a decision. The is false and inhuman. We make the vast majority of our decisions every moment by faith not by sight. We trust a person on the phone is who they are without requiring DNA evidence, we trust the food we eat is safe without testing it, we have faith that the other driver will stop at the red light or that the check the person gives me is good all without proof or verification. Why do we do this because of our experience and the converging and convincing evidence that does not prove but makes certain many things science could never prove. If religious people are delusional according to the scientific method that we all live deluded and crazy lives.