Was Jesus God?

December 2nd, 2015 at 12:28:06 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
So if your guy commands I love someone who's done nothing but cause me pain, grief and anguish, and I refuse to even contemplate this vile suggestion, I am choosing to go to hell.

NO, no, please don't confuse the commandment to love your enemies with you have to be best buddies with them. There are many people in our lives that we rightly want and should have nothing to do with! However, allowing them to continue to hold power over you through the pain they have caused you in the past through painful grudges continues to keep you locked in a type of hell. By loving them you free yourself from the destructive power of hate and are able to move on, escape the hell on earth and open yourself up to the peace of heaven now and in the hereafter.

Quote:
And perhaps if I don't want people to attack me for being transgender, I shouldn't have been transgender.

Whether you should or shouldn't or whether you could or couldn't isn't up to anyone other than you. Let's deal with the facts and reality going forward. If you don't want people to attack you then I would hope you get to know more real and good Christians who will love and respect you as a human person, not just because you are transgender or have a same-sex attraction or whatever, but because you are Nareed, a child of God.

Quote:
What's that line about a mote and a beam and some eyes?

It is one of the greatest in Scripture!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 2nd, 2015 at 12:34:56 PM permalink
FrGamble
He seems to have had a revelation himself.

Nope he wanted a reformation, which was needed and has taken place. If he came back today he would be perfectly comfortable in the Catholic Church.

Quote:
Proof?

It really is as simple as recognition of truth. If Jesus Christ is the Son of God, as I believe He is, then another book saying he is only a prophet or another book saying he is the Lord of this planet only cannot all be true. Through my faith and reason I have chosen to believe in Christianity as it answers the questions we all long to know about ourselves, our world, and our future. It is historical and real and true.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 2nd, 2015 at 12:56:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
His second coming will be in glory

That's nice, but still, you rarely mention it.
Just now I read on FB one of my wife's
nephews saying he likes watching sunsets
because the sky is where Jesus will be.
Non Catholics are obsessed with his return,
yet they take out 30 year mortgages and
get 401K's and discuss where they'll retire
in 35 years. If they actually believed Jesus
was coming back soon, they would do none
of those things.

It's like when my wife goes on a three day
trip. I know she's coming back so I rarely
give all her clothes to Goodwill and sell
her car. If Christians really really believed
Jesus was coming back soon, they would
act like it. They don't.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 2nd, 2015 at 1:00:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
By loving them you free yourself from the destructive power of hate and are able to move on, escape the hell on earth and open yourself up to the peace of heaven now and in the hereafter.

1) I don't think you know what love means.

2) Every time I read your posts, I find myself living in a theocratic version of Oceania in 1984. Change is Stability, Faith is Evidence, Freedom is Slavery, Oppression is Love. Pretty soon, I'm sure, War will be Peace. For now, escape is easy.

3) Doubleplusungood.

Quote:
It is one of the greatest in Scripture!

Do you think you should practice it? Or is the failure of all Christians to do so a feature rather than a bug of the faith? Even Descartes realized he could put his house in order even if he couldn't do so for all the houses in France.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 2nd, 2015 at 1:03:06 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It really is as simple as recognition of truth. If Jesus Christ is the Son of God, as I believe He is, then another book saying he is only a prophet or another book saying he is the Lord of this planet only cannot all be true.

Proof?

Quote:
Through my faith and reason I have chosen to believe in Christianity as it answers the questions we all long to know about ourselves, our world, and our future. It is historical and real and true.

So your belief is proof that your belief is valid? Why can't a Muslim or a Pastafarian use their belief in their belief to validate their belief?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 2nd, 2015 at 1:04:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
If Jesus Christ is the Son of God, as I believe He is.. I have chosen to believe in Christianity

You're starting to catch on. You can't know
if any of the spewings of Yahweh are true,
so you just pick one and live with it. Others
pick from other choices and believe just as
strongly as you do. It has zero to do with
any of them being true, obviously none
of them are. It's all about making your choice
and pretending it's true.

There's a line from some book where a teen
it told he's not really in love, he just thinks he
is. The teen asks, 'What's the difference, if
I think I'm in love, I am in love'.

It's the same with religion. If you believe it's true,
then for you it is true. That's why you have an
impossible time of convincing a skeptic, you have
no base for your beliefs.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 2nd, 2015 at 1:07:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Every time I read your posts, I find myself living in a theocratic version of Oceania in 1984. Change is Stability, Faith is Evidence, Freedom is Slavery, Oppression is Love. Pretty soon, I'm sure, War will be Peace. For now, escape is easy.

Good one, Nareed. I wish I could think as
clearly as you. You often see things I miss.
December 2nd, 2015 at 1:13:47 PM permalink
FrGamble
1) I don't think you know what love means.

I have long suspected we are not in agreement about this very important concept. I believe love in its highest form is altruistic, generous, and self-giving I have a sinking feeling that you might feel it is the opposite.

Quote:
2) Every time I read your posts, I find myself living in a theocratic version of Oceania in 1984. Change is Stability, Faith is Evidence, Freedom is Slavery, Oppression is Love. Pretty soon, I'm sure, War will be Peace. For now, escape is easy.

It might be because you have believed and been told for so long that this or that is what Christians believe. it is hard to make sense of something when you have made up your mind it is one way and not the other. Love is not oppression and no authentic Catholic, nor I, am trying to persecute or hate or attack you. I hope you haven't made up your mind that this is not true and will try to reconcile what you see as a paradox or impossible is indeed true. You are wrong about Christians.

Quote:
Do you think you should practice it? Or is the failure of all Christians to do so a feature rather than a bug of the faith? Even Descartes realized he could put his house in order even if he couldn't do so for all the houses in France.

I try with all my heart, soul, strength, and mind to practice it. Also the failure to do so is not just all Christians but all of humanity as well. It is a bug that infects us all. Nevertheless I would love your assistance in better helping myself to live out the teachings of Jesus. If you could kindly point out where I have overlooked my own many faults to dwell, exaggerate, or focus on the faults of others I would be appreciative.

By the way, thanks for speaking together again.
December 2nd, 2015 at 1:25:34 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

It's the same with religion. If you believe it's true,
then for you it is true. That's why you have an
impossible time of convincing a skeptic, you have
no base for your beliefs.

That is one of the most asinine things I have ever heard. Believing in something does not make it true. For example if you were going to try to convince a skeptic that there was no God you would have no basis for saying that. They would look at you like you were crazy and point out such obvious things like, "Well how did we come to exist?" "Why is there something rather than nothing?" "Why do you think the vast majority of human beings through history till today were wrong about something so important?" "Do you have any evidence to support your claim that there is no God?" "Is there such a thing as right or wrong?" "Is there ever justice for those who are mistreated or exploited in this life?" In the face of these questions the atheist is reduced to silence.
December 2nd, 2015 at 1:39:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
If you could kindly point out where I have overlooked my own many faults to dwell, exaggerate, or focus on the faults of others I would be appreciative. .

So smug, so seflrighteous. I would expect
nothing less.