Was Jesus God?

Page 65 of 66« First<6263646566>
August 8th, 2016 at 3:40:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Wow, again no reason to go all crazy on us here. I think you can use your common sense to determine what is fact and what is myth.

Yup, too bad you can't.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 8th, 2016 at 3:41:33 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It is fairly obvious that Hebrew myths are not as fantastical and phony.

You really should give stand up comedy a try.

So can you disprove my interpretation of Alexander as the one true son of the one true god Zeus-Amun? We know Alexander lived, few lives in the period are as well documented, and we know he performed miracles in battle. We also know the consequences were just as I said they would be, and his influence is felt to this day all over the world, even in places which the West never even touched directly.

You should do a pilgrimage to Karnak Temple and make a suitable offering to the one true god.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 8th, 2016 at 3:47:30 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
You really should give stand up comedy a try.

I've come to realize that with both you and Bob a witty no answer and an attempt to move on means you really don't have an answer.

Quote:
So can you disprove my interpretation of Alexander as the one true son of the one true god Zeus-Amun? We know Alexander lived, few lives in the period are as well documented, and we know he performed miracles in battle. We also know the consequences were just as I said they would be, and his influence is felt to this day all over the world, even in places which the West never even touched directly.

You should do a pilgrimage to Karnak Temple and make a suitable offering to the one true god.

I love how it always falls back on, "well you can't prove that I'm not God or disprove Alexander isn't God." I would remind you that proof is not what we are after here, evidence in order to make a rational decision is often the best we as humans can hope for. You show that in your brief argument for Alexander as the one true son of Zeus. You say he is such because we know he lived, he performed miracles, and his influence is felt all over. If that is the criteria that I will await your pilgrimage to Rome because it is obvious by your own standards that Jesus Christ is the true God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 8th, 2016 at 3:54:28 PM permalink
Nareed
If that is the criteria that I will await your pilgrimage to Rome because it is obvious by your own standards that Jesus Christ is the true God.

I expect I'll visit Rome someday. There is one temple I really want to visit, the Pantheon. But back to your implication, f Jesus were the true god, then his influence would be greater than Alexander's.

Is it?
August 8th, 2016 at 3:59:01 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
I expect I'll visit Rome someday. There is one temple I really want to visit, the Pantheon.

The Pantheon is indeed awesome and worth a visit.

Quote:
But back to your implication, if Jesus were the true god, then his influence would be greater than Alexander's.

Is it?

I don't think they are even in the same ballpark.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 8th, 2016 at 4:14:58 PM permalink
Nareed
I don't think they are even in the same ballpark.

Of course not.

Jesus falls way, way short. His influence in the two most populous nations in the world, India and China, is so small as to be almost non-existent.
August 8th, 2016 at 4:18:46 PM permalink
FrGamble
Really? really? Look up the underground Church in China and since I have gotten to know so many Indian priests helping out here in America or doing missionary work I know that India, where St. Thomas and both St. Francis Xavier went has huge Christian populations. Heck, we are canonizing a saint who lived and ministered heroically in India this September. I know you wanted to keep us focused on just these two places, which I am happy to do but you do realize you are ignoring the rest of the world right?
August 8th, 2016 at 4:43:46 PM permalink
Nareed
Really?

Really.

I didn't claim there's no Christianity in both countries, but that it has little influence compared to Alexander's legacy. Granted it was slow in being widely adopted, but the principles of Western Greco-Roman civilization are quite entrenched there.
August 8th, 2016 at 9:10:53 PM permalink
FrGamble
Your status as a really knowledgeable and objective historian is greatly diminished.
August 8th, 2016 at 10:00:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Your status as a really knowledgeable and objective historian is greatly diminished.

You have zero credibility as a historian
because you believe myths and fairy tales
really happened and should be taken seriously.
I'd say that disqualifies you to judge anybody
else in that field. Your hubris is breathtaking to behold.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 65 of 66« First<6263646566>