Was Jesus God?

December 3rd, 2015 at 5:26:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote:
The good acts of non-Christians or non-believers are very commendable and show a person who is pursing the discovery of truth as best as he or she can.

"That is so offensive I will warn you never to even think of attempting to say it to my face. I cannot guarantee I would restrain myself in such a case."

Nareed, don't you like condescension?

con·de·scen·sion
ˌnoun: condescension; plural noun: condescensions

'an attitude of patronizing superiority; disdain.'

He really can't help himself, Nareed. He's been
told he's the moral arbiter and he believed it.
Can you imagine how insufferable the priests
must have been hundreds of years ago? It
would have been unbearable.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 3rd, 2015 at 5:33:32 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed

How can you claim some people are second-class, permanent sinners in your view, then claim to treat them without discrimination?

There is nothing at all sinful about being a homosexual person and I think I explicitly mentioned the equality all human beings have. This continues to be a case where you won't let go of the faulty view you have of Christianity.

Quote:
That is so offensive I will warn you never to even think of attempting to say it to my face. I cannot guarantee I would restrain myself in such a case.

Is it more offensive than saying I would rather defend the bad actions of Christians than acknowledge the good acts of non-Christians? The good acts of Christians are also commendable for the same reason, they show a person is pursing the discovery of truth as well. I don't know why you are so upset about it, please I honestly want to know your thinking about this and why you took offense.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 3rd, 2015 at 5:37:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
"That is so offensive I will warn you never to even think of attempting to say it to my face. I cannot guarantee I would restrain myself in such a case."

Nareed, don't you like condescension?

con·de·scen·sion
ˌnoun: condescension; plural noun: condescensions

'an attitude of patronizing superiority; disdain.'

He really can't help himself, Nareed. He's been
told he's the moral arbiter and he believed it.
Can you imagine how insufferable the priests
must have been hundreds of years ago? It
would have been unbearable.

Why you can't look in the mirror and see your face and these awful posts as true condescension is beyond me. You are constantly calling me stupid, awful names, telling me what I really think and believe. It is you who are insufferable and unbearable today!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 3rd, 2015 at 5:52:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
look in the mirror and see your face and these awful posts as true condescension is beyond me. !

I also come right out and say what
I think, you love to hide your insults in
your condescension and a holier than thou
attitude. I tell you why you believe as you
do, and that comes out as telling you what
you really think and believe. You're a
product of the Church System, you might
be that way all your life. How sad.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 3rd, 2015 at 5:58:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
There is nothing at all sinful about being a homosexual person .

A person can't be a homosexual without
engaging in homosexual acts. Just like
you can't be a race car driver, a dentist,
a lumberjack, a cab driver, without actually
doing those things. Example. A man is
married, has regular sex with his wife. He's
also attracted to men but never acts on it.
He's not a homosexual because he's not
performing homosexual acts.

The Church condemns the sexual part of
homosexuality, so in effect it condemns
homosexuals. Those in the Church not
engaging in the act are not homosexuals.

When you say there is nothing sinful
about being Gay, you're incorrect in
the eyes of the Church. It's a word game
you play.
December 3rd, 2015 at 6:16:00 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
A person can't be a homosexual without
engaging in homosexual acts. Just like
you can't be a race car driver, a dentist,
a lumberjack, a cab driver, without actually
doing those things.

So one's sexual orientation is equivalent to a job? Can you then change it or decide to do something differently? I think that sexual identity is deeper than just your sexual activity. You might want to get up to date with the modern psychology and the professional understand of those with same sex attraction.

Quote:
The Church condemns the sexual part of
homosexuality, so in effect it condemns
homosexuals.

Only if you follow your false premises which I utterly reject. The Church views as sinful sexual activity outside of marriage. Period. If as a reasonable person you distinguish the person from the acts you can see that sexual activity outside of marriage can be condemned while at the same time mercifully understanding the human struggles of the person and offering forgiveness to both heterosexual or homosexual persons.

Quote:
Those in the Church not
engaging in the act are not homosexuals.

I know many in the LGBT community that would be quite offended by your statements, please be more careful.

Quote:
When you say there is nothing sinful
about being Gay, you're incorrect in
the eyes of the Church. It's a word game
you play.

You sir are incorrect about the Church's teaching and you are the only one trying to play word games by changing the definition of everything from sin to homosexuality to match your own definition. It is so sad and frustrating.
December 3rd, 2015 at 6:18:50 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
There is nothing at all sinful about being a homosexual person and I think I explicitly mentioned the equality all human beings have.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

So if Joe and Bill get to know each other, fall in love, share a bed, make love, get married, keep making love often, adopt and raise children, they will be treated exactly the same as Beth and Harry who did the same thing?

Or would they be reminded every day they're intimate, loving moments are a sin, and their marriage is a sham not recognized by their church, and they shouldn't adopt children in the first place?

Oppression is Love.

Quote:
Is it more offensive than saying I would rather defend the bad actions of Christians than acknowledge the good acts of non-Christians?

A great deal more.

See, I'm not so prejudiced that I believe no good can come out Christianity, or that any good, moral action undertaken by a Christian is motivated by a rejection of Jesus.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 3rd, 2015 at 6:51:34 PM permalink
FrGamble

Oppression is Love.

Oppression is not love but truth can often feel like oppression. The teaching of the Church is that homosexual activity is not according to the natural law that God has written into our human bodies. However, it is very natural and healthy for people to love each other and intimately share life. Do you think the only way to do this is by genital or sexual activity? It is my experience, especially in working with college students that sexual activity is often the enemy of love and confuses and break hearts and sometimes leads to unchangeable consequences or murder of the unborn. Only when naturally ordered in an covenant of unbreakable love is the sexual act what it was meant to be. Deep intimate friendships are not shams. I find you are ridiculing valuable relationships just because they do not have the title marriage.

In regards to children it is not that same sex couples should not adopt, nor is it that they could not do a wonderful job raising children, many do. However, a child given all things being equal would best benefit from having both a mother and father.

I grant you and understand that you might feel emotionally that these teachings are oppressive or wrong. I believe them to be true and I believe them to be based on a loving respect for homosexual people, the dignity of marriage, natural law, and children.

Quote:
A great deal more.

See, I'm not so prejudiced that I believe no good can come out Christianity, or that any good, moral action undertaken by a Christian is motivated by a rejection of Jesus.

I do NOT believe that no good can come out of Atheists or non-Christians. I believe that there are many good and wonderful people doing good and wonderful things that are not Christians or even believers. I recognize that I often don't express myself very well but for the life of me I can't imagine how you would infer such ridiculous comments or ideas from me.
December 3rd, 2015 at 7:39:05 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Oppression is not love

That's crazy talk. Next you'll be claiming War is not Peace, or there was ever a war with someone other than Eastasia!

Quote:
The teaching of the Church is that homosexual activity is not according to the natural law that God has written into our human bodies.

Then your God should take a look at reality and realize his mistake. From all I've heard from LGB friends and acquaintances, it's very natural for them. Not to mention pleasurable.

Quote:
Do you think the only way to do this is by genital or sexual activity?

Do you think genital activity is all there is to sex??

Quote:
It is my experience, especially in working with college students

College students are young and immature. They ere learning what they actually want. Most people do not remain at that level for the rest of their lives. When they approach sex the way they approach drinking, naturally they'll get hurt. But not many people keep binge drinking after college, or even while in college.

Quote:
Deep intimate friendships are not shams. I find you are ridiculing valuable relationships just because they do not have the title marriage.
[..]
In regards to children it is not that same sex couples should not adopt, nor is it that they could not do a wonderful job raising children, many do. However, a child given all things being equal would best benefit from having both a mother and father.

So LGB people are not allowed marriage inside your precious church, nor are they seen as a good choice for parents unless all straight married couples go extinct, or something, but there is no prejudice against them.

Eric Blair was truly prescient: All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Quote:
I believe them to be true and I believe them to be based on a loving respect for homosexual people, the dignity of marriage, natural law, and children.

You are wrong and your deity is wrong.

Quote:
I do NOT believe that no good can come out of Atheists or non-Christians. I believe that there are many good and wonderful people doing good and wonderful things that are not Christians or even believers. I recognize that I often don't express myself very well but for the life of me I can't imagine how you would infer such ridiculous comments or ideas from me.

You know very well what I mean.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 3rd, 2015 at 7:47:33 PM permalink
FrGamble

Then your God should take a look at reality and realize his mistake. From all I've heard from LGB friends and acquaintances, it's very natural for them. Not to mention pleasurable.

I don't think it is natural and I don't think we should use pleasure as our guide to if something is natural or not.

Quote:
Do you think genital activity is all there is to sex??

Yes, but there is much more to making love.

Quote:
College students are young and immature. They ere learning what they actually want. Most people do not remain at that level for the rest of their lives. When they approach sex the way they approach drinking, naturally they'll get hurt. But not many people keep binge drinking after college, or even while in college.

good point.

Quote:
So LGB people are not allowed marriage inside your precious church, nor are they seen as a good choice for parents unless all straight married couples go extinct, or something, but there is no prejudice against them.

Same sex marriage is not allowed in the Church but same sex couples can be a good choice for parents for lots of reasons. You are taking what I said way too far. There are also lots of reasons that straight couples would not be good choices for parents. It looks like you are the one at war against imaginary Eastasia.

Quote:
You are wrong and your deity is wrong.

And nanny nanny poo poo to you too. We can each claim each other are wrong, it is much more important to try to explain why.

Quote:
You know very well what I mean.

I really don't think I do.