2 members have voted

August 29th, 2016 at 6:01:00 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
Of course, when
your brain is saturated with THC, anything
looks good.

Actually I find little on TV that's scripted and entertaining. (exception Mr Robot and Saul)
Have cable for sports
I usually surf every nite through about 60 channels finding really nothing worth watching
If its poorly written, THC aint gonna help
If its written great, THC may enhance the enjoyment :-)
End up watching highly rated stuff that ended years ago but never got around to watching
Currently watching The Wire
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 29th, 2016 at 7:33:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: zippyboy
This upgrade we got from Wave costs about $250/month for combined package of landline phone, 250Mb/s internet and all HD cable channels. We have a Tivo brand DVR in living room with more than a terabyte hard drive that can record 6 TV shows at a time, all the HBO/Showtimes etc that's offered, and a "mini DVR" in each bedroom that links to the DVR in living room, like two slaves linking to the master (is it okay to say that these days?). The minis don't record, just play live TV and playback from the main DVR. The DVR comes equipped with HBO-Go, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc also.

The 6 tuners is a limitation of the CableCard. The letter "M" means "Multi-Stream" . They will never have a CableCard with more than 6 tuners since CableCards will be replaced at some time.

I think the more common industry term is "client box" instead of "slave box". Slave was a more common general engineering term for any device that can't function on it's own. The client uses one of the 6 tuners on the primary box which has the CableCard. If you turn one of them off, there is more tuners available to record simultaneous programs on the DVR. You are maxed out at 5 clients, since you only have 6 tuners.

I don't know if you have to physically turn off the power to the client to have the tuner available for recording. Some of the newer models can sense when they are not being used. If you are using the client box to watch a prerecorded show on the DVR or watching VOD, then it isn't using a tuner.

I think that the client boxes also use 20 Mbs apiece of speed of home network. You may have 250 Mbps coming in from the outside, but if your home network is 802.11n then it is limited to 100 Mbps. You should probably make sure your router is labelled 802.11ac which can deliver network speeds over 400 Mbps.

RCN uses boxes that run TiVo software, but are made by someone else. They have slightly different specifications, but are fairly bulky. Some of the TiVo remotes use RF as well as Infrared which allows you to hide the ugly box as long as you have a connection to the TV. The remote has a silver logo buttom in the middle (as opposed to black button for Infrared remote only).
http://www.arris.com/products/pace-mg1-cable-video-gateway/
http://www.arris.com/products/pace-mi3-ip-client/

TiVo's new DVR must have been designed by a woman and appeals to women. Men keep wondering why you would design a box that you can't stack anything on. I doubt that your cable company will give you one of these boxes since one feature is they automatically skip commercials.

TiVo remote with RF. See the button in the middle is a silver one with TV logo. That means it will work with RF, and your box just needs to be in the same room (not line of sight).
August 29th, 2016 at 8:58:09 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Damn Paco, is there anything you don't know? I remember you posted a photo 6 years ago, but if not for that, I swear you must be a computer; a Renaissance Man well-versed in every topic that crosses these forums. We (or I) notice, and appreciate you!

That IS my new remote, but not my Tivo unit, and not either of the links you posted. I can't imagine actually recording 6 shows at once, but it's nice to know it's possible. I really don't watch that much TV.

And Bob: you are an always predictable source of biased entertainment. I don't find much that's watchable on today's TV line-up. I always watch the Mecum and Barrett-Jackson auctions, poker shows and Big Bang Theory when nothing else is on. I watch the national and local news, 60 Minutes and the occasional movie on HBO. I've no idea what stoners watch, since I'm not one.
August 29th, 2016 at 9:26:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
That IS my new remote, but not my Tivo unit, and not either of the links you posted. I can't imagine actually recording 6 shows at once, but it's nice to know it's possible. I really don't watch that much TV.

I think you have the model TCD848000 DVR which came out about 3 years ago. What is the manufacturing date on your unit?

Well you are probably not going to record 6 shows at once, but you may be watching live TV on 3 units, and record up to 3 shows at the same time. It is unlikely, but there is no real compelling reason to work with fewer tuners anymore. You may add more mini's.

BTW it is possible to hook up a mini either with coaxial cable or with Cat5e ethernet wire. My guess is that Wave hooked you up to coaxial since that is what most people have installed in their house. But if you want to have the possibility of moving it to a temporary location you just need to run ethernet cable to the router. You might want to run it to a guest room while you have a guest in the house, or a basement for football games. You can move the mini around the house. You can also use wireless or powerline but it isn't as reliable.
August 30th, 2016 at 6:37:42 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
That's my Mini, but main DVR is a Tivo T6.

Remote is like this, with a green On Demand button in the center.

Thanks for all the info, Paco.
August 30th, 2016 at 9:34:54 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I get 10 Mbps on my home connection, and can watch Netflix in HD (not 4K as I have no 4K display) without any lag at all.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 27th, 2017 at 8:03:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
This upgrade we got from Wave costs about $250/month for combined package of landline phone, 250Mb/s internet and all HD cable channels. We have a Tivo brand DVR in living room ...

Wave was just purchased by TPG capital

TPG has now purchased three of the ten companies that were using TiVo branded set top boxes. They now own RCN (290,000 subscribers), GRANDE (less than 90,000), and WAVE (not sure but probably more than RCN and GRANDE combined).

I see the "Atlantic Broadband" logo on your equipment.

TPG is also investing heavily in Layer 3 television

So they are up to something. I thought they might be trying to be the one of the first companies to switch from QAM (quadrature amplitude modulation) to Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) . I read that COMCAST is trying to switch their new subscribers to IPTV by the end of the year. But it is a very speculative guess.

Altice USA acquired Suddenlink for $9.1 Billion in 2015, then it bought Cablevision Systems for $17.7 billion. Together Cablevision and Suddenlink, have a base of 4.6 million subscribers for broadband and video services. Altice USA has operations in 20 states, putting it behind Comcast, Charter Communications (which just acquired Time Warner Cable) and Atlanta-based Cox Communications.
Page 2 of 2<12