Easter Is Coming in 8 Weeks

Page 3 of 38<123456>Last »
February 1st, 2015 at 7:08:09 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed

We're talking about belief. Astrology has no rational basis, and everything about it is made up. Yet it has been around for several times longer than Christianity.

In that case you could have use Atheism as a stronger example than astrology.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 1st, 2015 at 7:11:35 AM permalink
FrGamble

Since Jews were persecuted a great deal more than any Christians, that would make Judaism truer, yes?

I don't know about truer, but certainly it is true. It is after all the foundations for Christianity.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 1st, 2015 at 8:19:06 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble

Atheism is not a belief.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 1st, 2015 at 8:33:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I don't know about truer, but certainly it is true. It is after all the foundations for Christianity.

Well, if Astrology is to be dismissed because its practitioners have not been persecuted, then the extent of persecution determines the rightness of an idea.

If so, then Judaism is the absolute truth, as no faith has been more persecuted by so many different people. Whereas Christianity would be merely partly true, and Islam somewhere along those lines as well.

I'm not up on what other levels of persecution other religions experienced. But if we count the European conquest of the Americas as persecution, then the Aztec pantheon is more truthful than Christianity. If we combine this with your idea of Jehovah's gradual revelation to humanity, we should at once begin to hold ball games and sacrifice the winners to the Aztec gods. After all, it's a more truthful practice than eating/drinking the Jesus every Sunday.

The ball game and sacrifice ritual is rather well documented at the Museum of Anthropology just a few kilometers from my office. I do know we'll need stone rings, some kind of ball and stone knives. And an altar. Christian ethics demand sacrifice by the selfless for a higher purpose, and what higher purpose can there be than serving a more valid version of Jehovah? Volunteers for the slaughter ought to be no problem.

I'm so glad I'm an atheist and impervious to all this nonsense.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 1st, 2015 at 11:19:08 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
What about non-christian religeons? A few of those lasted for a significant amount of time. Some of them are still around. Christians say they are wrong, they have false beliefs. .

Hinduism is the worlds oldest religion and
consists totally of myths. There are no real
events in the religion. For me, that's a real
religion. If god is incorporeal, than all you can
have about him are myths and ideas. When
all you have are ideas, you don't have 2500
different offshoots of it like in Christianity,
with everybody arguing over what 'really'
happened,
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 1st, 2015 at 11:39:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Atheism is not a belief.

How many times have we said this in the
last 3 months. Lack of belief is not a belief.
For me there's not even a choice, believe
or don't believe. God is not even on the table
as a choice. I just read yesterday that a human
can't even truly think about god because he's
such an abstract concept. There's 'no-thing'
there to think about.

My wife is always saying how much she loves
god. When I ask her what she loves, she
names things she thinks god has done for her.
That's not loving somebody, that's totally being
selfish and putting you at the center of the
relationship. She'll say she loves him for creating
the world and giving his son for her. This isn't
love either. She can't love god, nobody can.

I love my dog. It's easy to love him. He does nothing
for me, in fact, he's totally self centered, all animals
are. He's easy to love because he's immensely lovable.

God is the opposite of lovable.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 1st, 2015 at 12:39:15 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23

Nothing about atheism is made up.... that's a silly statement, Father.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 1st, 2015 at 12:54:36 PM permalink
FrGamble
Atheism is not a belief.

I was more thinking it was a good example because it is irrational and made-up, you've made it clear many times that it is not a belief.

It is a made up theory, idea, concept, or worldview. What is the evidence or proof that would lead one to thinking there was no God?
February 1st, 2015 at 12:56:40 PM permalink
FrGamble
Well, if Astrology is to be dismissed because its practitioners have not been persecuted, then the extent of persecution determines the rightness of an idea.

I'm so glad I'm an atheist and impervious to all this nonsense.

I'm glad you don't have to be a Christian apologist to exaggerate and takes things out of proportion.
February 1st, 2015 at 1:03:27 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Hinduism is the worlds oldest religion and
consists totally of myths. There are no real
events in the religion. For me, that's a real
religion. If god is incorporeal, than all you can
have about him are myths and ideas.

Many of your problems could be solved if you recognized the uniqueness of Christianity is found in its corporeal and historical nature. It is not a religion of myths but of real historical realities. The person of Jesus of Nazareth who died and was resurrected is truly God. Likewise because He is real, then and now, you can indeed have a real relationship with Him and love Him. It is the realness of Christianity that in my book makes it a real religion.
Page 3 of 38<123456>Last »