Easter Is Coming in 8 Weeks

Page 38 of 38« First<35363738
April 5th, 2015 at 7:57:02 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Thank you for the informative reply.

I know the argument from silence - the absense of proof is not disproof. I honestly want to know which biblical events are documented elsewhere. Many biblical figures are documented outside of the bible.

I had a long conversation with my wife today about how you might be able to identify which stories in the bible are factual, and which ones are allegorical or parables or other fancy words for stories or lessons.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 6th, 2015 at 6:05:15 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
No, but this argument from silence is often overplayed.

I find it more convincing than the argument from "It's so because I believe it's so."

There are no sources to corroborate or refute the Popol Vuh, the Egyptian Creation and Founding Myths, the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Iliad, the Odyssey and many more. They must all be true then. Amun, Zeus, Ist, Ishtar, Athena, etc. must all be real gods. Not early revelations of Jehovah, as that's not what's stated in the books as written, but true, real, deities in their own right.

And, you know, those Maya gods I can't even remember the names of were really scary. We'd better get back to human sacrifices before they really get upset. Man, you thought WWII was bad? You're in for a surprise.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 6th, 2015 at 11:17:40 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Nothing outside of the Gospel and the early Church Fathers reflecting on these difficult verses.

The NT is nothing but 'difficult' verses, this
one is especially so because it makes Jesus
resurrection look like a common event. Odd
that they left this is the NT when they were
voting. It glaringly points to the NT being
mostly made up stories that were added later.
Does anybody really believe that a bunch of
'saints' that weren't even born of virgins
came back to life and wandered among the
people? It shoots the whole NT down in
flames.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 38 of 38« First<35363738