Easter Is Coming in 8 Weeks

February 8th, 2015 at 12:02:26 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
If it did, would you worship The Flash?

What you seem to be asking is that if the Flash was a verifiable historical person, who could perform miracles, was truly God, died for us, and was raised so that we could all have eternal life in Heaven would he be worthy of worship? I would say yes, wouldn't you? Just because something is different or out of the ordinary is not a reason to reject it out of hand. Let me ask you this, if all that is said of Jesus is true, would you worship Him?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 8th, 2015 at 12:31:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Let me ask you this, if all that is said of Jesus is true, would you worship Him?

I said before, if all that was said about Jesus
was true, you would be compelled to worship
him. But almost none of it is true. He didn't
have a virgin for a mom, he didn't walk on
water, he wasn't gods son, and he most
certainly didn't die and wake up three days
later.

The resurrection is an embarrassment. I know
this because every time I hear a Christian talk
about it in person, I'm embarrassed for them.
I would much rather hear them say Jesus
survived the cross and spent 40 days healing
the sick, letting the blind see and the deaf hear,
and dispensing wisdom wherever he went.
Rising from the dead is just silly, I'm sorry.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 8th, 2015 at 12:43:41 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
It's interesting how similar the situation is to when the Scriptures were first written. When Paul was preaching in Athens he had everyone enthralled about Jesus, when he got the part of the Resurrection they laughed and walked away. I'm not quite sure why people find the Resurrection so embarrassing or scandalous. There really is no other explanation for the spread of Christianity than the reality of Jesus rising from the dead, yet the secular world can't seem to come to grips with this surprising miracle. I wonder why?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 8th, 2015 at 12:57:18 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
It's interesting how similar the situation is to when the Scriptures were first written. When Paul was preaching in Athens he had everyone enthralled about Jesus, when he got the part of the Resurrection they laughed and walked away. I'm not quite sure why people find the Resurrection so embarrassing or scandalous. There really is no other explanation for the spread of Christianity than the reality of Jesus rising from the dead, yet the secular world can't seem to come to grips with this surprising miracle. I wonder why?

Never thought it was that surprising or scandalous. IF he was the son of God, transcending death seems to be a reasonable thing to do or happen. All the miracles are as incredible on the surface as each other.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 8th, 2015 at 12:59:51 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Let me ask you this, if all that is said of Jesus is true, would you worship Him?

If all that's said about the Aztec gods were true, would you sacrifice people with your own hand?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 8th, 2015 at 1:05:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
yet the secular world can't seem to come to grips with this surprising miracle. I wonder why?

It's silly because it's something from a kids
bedtime story or a fairy tale. It's not a
miracle and it's not surprising. It's like
a magicians trick, it looks real but we all
know it's not. And because it sounds like
a trick, it has no real meaning.

It's also creepy as hell. The thought of dead
people getting up and walking around makes
your skin crawl. If that actually happened, I
would stay as far away from that person as
possible. Zombies are the walking dead, vampires
are technically dead. The Jesus myth is in there
somewhere and I'm telling you, it's creepy.

The thought of having some dead guy who came
back to life as my secret friend is just too far
out there. I would pick Islam before I picked that,
and I would never pick Islam.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 8th, 2015 at 1:22:00 PM permalink
Nareed
It's interesting how similar the situation is to when the Scriptures were first written. When Paul was preaching in Athens he had everyone enthralled about Jesus, when he got the part of the Resurrection they laughed and walked away.

Just goes to show the Greeks lost none of their intellect after Rome conquered them.
February 8th, 2015 at 1:33:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Just goes to show the Greeks lost none of their intellect after Rome conquered them.

The resurrection had to be a very tough
sell in the first hundred years. But like all
myths and urban legends, it took on a
life of it's own and people started to look
at it as fact and not the myth it was.

The power of word of mouth is amazing.
Even today if you ask the average person
who said 'I can see Alaska from my house',
they will always answer Sarah Palin. But she
never said any such thing. It was Tina Fey
in an SNL skit who said it. The Left grabbed
it and made it sound like Palin said it, and
a myth is born.
February 9th, 2015 at 6:17:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
Never thought it was that surprising or scandalous. IF he was the son of God, transcending death seems to be a reasonable thing to do or happen. All the miracles are as incredible on the surface as each other.

You need to understand the widespread conception of divinity in pre-Christian cultures. These were very different to the Jewish notion which the Christians later appropriated.

For one thing the gods were tangible, could be represented accurately in stone or painting, and were not prey at all for mortals. Then there were the Heroes in Greek mythology who were not full gods, like Hercules and Achilles. These had super-human qualities, like strength, and were not easy prey for mere mortals.

An intangible, unrepresentable god becoming mortal and then being killed and finally resurrecting would be laughable, in the sense we laugh at obvious nonsense like numerology or perpetual motion machines. IMO the Greeks of that time would more readily believe in Superman than Jesus.
February 9th, 2015 at 6:47:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Why, not at all. The Egyptians had a really nice conception about the after life, a lot nicer than Christianity's.

Another plus, Egyptian religion was much less demanding than most modern religions. There were no services as such (hurray!) At the temple one gave one's offerings to a priest, and he did the rest (mere common people were not deemed pure enough to enter the holy of holies within the temple where the god resided). Though if I felt the need, and why would I?, I could worship a representation of Ist or Amun or Ra in the comfort of my own home.

Of course there remain questions. Is Sarapis a real god, or a made up syncretistic Greco-Macedonian pseudo-god? Do I have to represent Ist as the ancients pictured her, or can I do my own interpretation of the Goddess? Will private worship suffice, or do I need to go out and convert enough wealthy people to pay for some temples? These need to be lavish. Not Hagia Sophia lavish, but worthy of the true gods.

Now, isn't that a lot of work for a myth?

Screw it, there are more important and definitely more interesting things to do in life.