Pete Carroll

Page 2 of 3<123>
February 5th, 2015 at 7:15:43 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: chickenman
Illegal formation, five yard penalty. Now you're at the six and almost have to pass.

See? I said Carroll knows a tad more than I do :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 5th, 2015 at 8:25:50 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Your assumption that 9 down line men on the defence will stop lynch is incorrect, as it's all about the point of attack.

Besides there was at most 8 in the box, as there was two on the right covering the twins-right, one on the left covering the lone left reciever, and safety cover in the middle also counting as a run stuffer who can hit the point of attack if needed (or not).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 5th, 2015 at 8:47:48 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
ESPN’s LZ Granderson pointed out, there were 109 pass attempts from the one-yard line this season in the NFL. The first 108 did not result in an interception.

Once it was intercepted it is easy to say it was the worst call in super bowl history.
February 5th, 2015 at 10:30:39 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Sounds like a horrible idea to me. i don't want my running back throwing a pass in a crucial spot like this. If you pass it is the quarterback, otherwise run it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 5th, 2015 at 10:35:45 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Pacomartin
ESPN’s LZ Granderson pointed out, there were 109 pass attempts from the one-yard line this season in the NFL. The first 108 did not result in an interception.

Once it was intercepted it is easy to say it was the worst call in super bowl history.

How many rushing attempts from the 1-yard line? How many resulted in a fumble or a TD? How many passes from 1 yard resulted in a TD or a incompletion?

How many were inside slant-routes? How many of those teams were passing jump balls to the huge receivers?

How many were under time pressure?

How many teams had a bulldozer for a Running back?

The NFL is not just a down and distance game for play calls. The PASS isn't a bad call. The pass pattern called is the bad call.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 5th, 2015 at 11:23:58 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
The PASS isn't a bad call. The pass pattern called is the bad call.

Quote: Joe Person
The only guy utilized worse than Marshawn Lynch last night was Lenny Kravitz.
February 5th, 2015 at 12:34:49 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
i don't want my running back throwing a pass in a crucial spot like this.

Ken Wisenhunt did very well with a similar play in a Super Bowl, and later on with Arizona, too (that was a reverse with a wide receiver and a running back, though).

Such trick plays with the Big Game on the line are desperate. I assume Seattle was desperate, or they would have run the ball. Clearly that wasn't an option.
February 5th, 2015 at 1:42:34 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed
Ken Wisenhunt did very well with a similar play in a Super Bowl

And now he is being punished for it by being the coach of the Titans.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 5th, 2015 at 1:49:58 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Nareed
Ken Wisenhunt did very well with a similar play in a Super Bowl, and later on with Arizona, too (that was a reverse with a wide receiver and a running back, though).

Such trick plays with the Big Game on the line are desperate. I assume Seattle was desperate, or they would have run the ball. Clearly that wasn't an option.

Nope, not desperate. Caroll wanted one shot with a 'free' time out. An incomplete pass stops the clock. He then has down 3 to run and down 4 to take an option, using the final time out. That's the reason for picking pass. Questionable, but understandable. Picking a inside pass play.... that makes less sense.

They took some time on this play to run down the clock, as they don't want to give Brady time to make 2-3 plays and get in field goal range.
February 5th, 2015 at 4:04:57 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
Nope, not desperate. Caroll wanted one shot with a 'free' time out. An incomplete pass stops the clock.

With under 30 seconds left, you want to run down the clock as much as possible.

So you run. If that is a washout, you either take the time out, which means you have time for one play, or you spike the ball and waste a down. That's at least two runs, with a very capable running back, or one straight up run and a deception play (not a gadget play, but play action and a pass).
Page 2 of 3<123>