Pete Carroll

Page 3 of 3<123
February 5th, 2015 at 5:07:11 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
With 30 seconds left and being down by 4, you want the ball in the back of the endzone, and leave your number one ranked defence to do their jobs.

As I said, I don't think PASS is a terrible call. I would have run, the numbers say make a run, but that's not how Carroll was thinking (watch his interviews). Play action or draw plays might have worked too. It's not the pass itself that's boneheaded. It's the pass to that spot, to that type of receiver which I can't work out.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 5th, 2015 at 5:27:57 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
As I said, I don't think PASS is a terrible call. I would have run, the numbers say make a run, but that's not how Carroll was thinking (watch his interviews). Play action or draw plays might have worked too. It's not the pass itself that's boneheaded. It's the pass to that spot, to that type of receiver which I can't work out.

I understand all that.

I was puzzled by your claim that the Seahawks were trying to stop the clock with an incomplete pass.

BTW, the interception reminded me a lot of James Harrison's interception against the Cardinals in a past Super Bowl, minus the run back to the opponent's end zone.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 5th, 2015 at 6:04:45 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Nareed
I understand all that.

I was puzzled by your claim that the Seahawks were trying to stop the clock with an incomplete pass.

If the pass is incomplete, the clock stops. With 20-ish seconds and one time out, they can get three attempts at the end zone if one is a pass. They have three downs, so clearly they can't stop the clock with a spike (and with that amount of time left, it's not going to work).

Listen to Carroll's interview, he explains his rational quite well... IF the pass fails (and he thinks he's got great match ups with man coverage being shown, as they are stacking the line) they have two more plays. Of the three plays they have left, one has to be a PASS, given the goal line formation, he figures this is the best time to take a Pass, given the match ups.

I think he's over rating Wilson as a QB in that situation... at this stage in his career at least.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 5th, 2015 at 6:19:07 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Having read his explanation and several comments about it, I can see the logic for a pass. But like you, not the pass that was chosen.

Play action fade. If the guy's not open, throw it away.

Line up in the jumbo to feign a run and pass it to an eligible tackle. Rub in the Pat's face. If not open, throw it away.

Play action bootleg. Run if possible, throw if possible, or throw it away.

Many have brought up the potential for a sack, but c'mon. Did you watch that game? Dude stood in the pocket, not even calmly but downright lackadaisically and flatfooted, as giant linemen bore down. Then, like a mongoose, he bounded away for 20 yards without showing so much a wisp of concern on his face.

But no. Throw right into a madhouse.

I still say you give it to beast mode. I still say Face would've punched it in =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 6th, 2015 at 7:44:03 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
If the pass is incomplete, the clock stops. With 20-ish seconds and one time out, they can get three attempts at the end zone if one is a pass. They have three downs, so clearly they can't stop the clock with a spike (and with that amount of time left, it's not going to work).

Ok. let's leave it at that.

One last thing:

If Seattle had run and been stopped, or fumbled the ball, lots of people would be saying "Of course the Pats were expecting Lynch to run and were set up to defend against him. they should have passed!"

Hindsight is not only 20/20, it's a bitchy, unforgiving mistress.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 3 of 3<123