WOW…just wow at the level of hubris displayed by the police here

Article

February 3rd, 2015 at 5:05:45 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Pretty shocking.
She obviously was not resisting arrest.
What is wrong with police?
Its a public defender with her client and the clients friend.
A bunch of other cops in the hallway and nobody has the guts to speak up on an obvious false arrest.
He probably uses the threat of arrest all the time to get people to do stuff they normally wouldn't do.
Last thing he wanted to hear after threatening to arrest. "Please Do"
He was hoping she wouldn't call his raise, she called the raise and he felt he had to go all in. He went all in with absolutely nothing LOL.
This is obviously going to be dismissed. He has no hand. She didn't break the law.

Well the Inspector got his 15min of fame. Its all over the bay area media.
Barney Fife strikes again.

Over a million views on youtube.
You can hear the Inspector order "Try not to move" while taking the picture. I would say they were being detained therefore have a right to a lawyer.
You can take a picture in public, the police have no right to tell somebody not to move while taking a picture.
If a person covers their face or moves or turns around. Oh well.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 3rd, 2015 at 5:17:34 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
What is wrong with police?

I'm wondering about that.

Given the many incidents involving military tactics, raids for minor infractions, no-knock warrants, shooting unarmed suspects (sometimes with their hands up), reacting violently to people recording their actions, plus the many instances of civil forfeiture, the police is gaining power over the citizenry rather than sticking to their jobs of protecting the people and keeping the peace.

Much of the problems can be traced to the "war" on drugs. A great deal, too, to having received military gear after 9/11. If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Regardless, it's time to rein in the cops and to start thinking of decriminalizing drugs. At least possession shouldn't be a crime.

Back in the 70s Mexican police got too much power, above and beyond what they had. One man, by the name of Durazo, was named chief of all police forces in the country. He used cops to rob banks with impunity, and he extorted money from all and sundry. But even this corrupt piece of garbage in human form knew better than to antagonize the citizens. They'd take being shaken down for money, but not being killed, arrested or beaten arbitrarily.

Now, I'm sure most police officers in much of America are decent people who keep to their jobs and don't abuse their power. But a few bad ones stain the whole rather noticeably, especially when the rest rarely speak out against abuses.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 3rd, 2015 at 5:42:15 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Nareed
Now, I'm sure most police officers in much of America are decent people who keep to their jobs and don't abuse their power. But a few bad ones stain the whole rather noticeably, especially when the rest rarely speak out against abuses.

I agree, and I don't understand why the cops almost always seem intent on protecting the bad apples in their department. If a cop is a corrupt violent thug, his co-workers and superiors ought to force him out. It's in their own best interest to rid themselves of the bad apples so that their image isn't tarnished. When the public respects and supports the police, it makes the cops' lives much easier (and safer). When the public is distrustful and resentful, no one wins.
February 3rd, 2015 at 6:03:48 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: reno
I agree, and I don't understand why the cops almost always seem intent on protecting the bad apples in their department. If a cop is a corrupt violent thug, his co-workers and superiors ought to force him out. It's in their own best interest to rid themselves of the bad apples so that their image isn't tarnished. When the public respects and supports the police, it makes the cops' lives much easier (and safer). When the public is distrustful and resentful, no one wins.

No doubt most police are good people doing a tough job.
Why they don't speak up.
Frank Serpico, he's lucky to be alive.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 3rd, 2015 at 6:16:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I agree, and I don't understand why the cops almost always seem intent on protecting the bad apples in their department.

From what I've read, it's a cultural matter. Police have lives and jobs different from the majority of other people. very different. In most jobs you don't go out wondering whether you'll kill or shoot someone, or whether you'll be shot or killed.

Quote:
When the public respects and supports the police, it makes the cops' lives much easier (and safer). When the public is distrustful and resentful, no one wins.

That's a really good point.

Frank Serpico has been writing about the problem recently. He was pariah among his colleagues when he spoke up.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 3rd, 2015 at 8:12:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I agree, and I don't understand why the cops almost always seem intent on protecting the bad apples in their department.

I'd likely guess there is some group dynamics/psychology behind that, and probably applies to other groups as well.

Or possibly because each one of them may at some point need the assistance of another and there is a reluctance to jeopardize the relationship even with bad apples. It's more dangerous if the group won't have your back at a crucial time.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 2nd, 2015 at 9:56:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Texas Legislator introduces bill to give all persons subjected to unlawful stops/searches/arrests the right to Stand Their Ground.
March 3rd, 2015 at 3:37:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Texas Legislator introduces bill to give all persons subjected to unlawful stops/searches/arrests the right to Stand Their Ground.

Smart idea, actually.
The President is a fink.