Who do you have a man crush on?

Page 3 of 4<1234>
February 8th, 2015 at 8:10:35 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: terapined
Was picturing the scene where the Beatles were being chased through London by screaming teenagers.

Why is it that women never running screaming after actuaries and scientists? If anything, they run screaming in the opposite direction. Especially when I'm there.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 8th, 2015 at 8:32:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Here are some top movie stars (by picture gross)
1 Tom Hanks
2 Morgan Freeman
3 Samuel L. Jackson
4 Harrison Ford
5 Eddie Murphy
6 Tom Cruise
7 Robin Williams
8 Johnny Depp
9 Bruce Willis
10 Ian McKellen
11 Michael Caine
12 Robert Downey, Jr.
14 Gary Oldman
15 Robert DeNiro
16 Liam Neeson
17 Orlando Bloom
18 Stanley Tucci
19 Ben Stiller
20 Will Smith
21 Matt Damon
24 Brad Pitt
26 Jim Carrey
27 Owen Wilson
29 Stellan Skarsgard
30 Tommy Lee Jones
31 Woody Harrelson
32 Daniel Radcliffe
33 Ralph Fiennes
34 Jonah Hill
35 Adam Sandler
36 Nicolas Cage
37 John Travolta
38 Rupert Grint
39 Bradley Cooper
40 Dustin Hoffman
41 Leonardo DiCaprio
42 Mark Wahlberg
43 Steve Carell
48 Denzel Washington
49 Antonio Banderas
50 Mike Myers

I think the "pretty men" you can pretty much rule out for "man crush" (Brad Pitt, J Orlando Bloom, Leonardo DiCaprio). It would be nice to have that kind of power, but you don't really think about being with them.

Some of them seem disturbed (Robin Williams,Eddie Murphy, Robert Downey, Jr., Owen Wilson, Nicolas Cage, John Travolta, Johnny Depp).

The kids seem creepy to talk about a "man crush" (Daniel Radcliffe,Rupert Grint, Jonah Hill).

I would have to go with Denzel Washington (age 60) married 32 years with 4 children, acting for 40 years, devoutly religious, but still buff and with his share of action films.
February 8th, 2015 at 8:59:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
Why is it that women never running screaming after actuaries

I know you are younger than me, but I wish I had a role model like yourself as an actuary. I took the first exam and did extremely well, but the only other person in the room with me was massively OCD. He asked me to only erase things with the pencil in a 90 degree upright position as it upset him to have the eraser worn down on one side.

I was so disturbed that I never took the second exam. Years later I realized that it was one of the best job skills to have in the world.
February 8th, 2015 at 9:26:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Although I buy into the idea that humans have a bisexual nature naturally, and what happens is one side or the other dominates, more in some than others. I have a more-controversial-than-that, extended opinion that I won't go into here in the spirit of the thread.

Having said that, I don't think 'mancrush' would describe what I felt about any actor, etc. If you say a 'want to be like' feeling qualifies, that's another thing. Clint Eastwood would probably be the guy for me to point to.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 8th, 2015 at 10:22:52 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: odiousgambit
Having said that, I don't think 'mancrush' would describe what I felt about any actor, etc. If you say a 'want to be like' feeling qualifies, that's another thing. Clint Eastwood would probably be the guy for me to point to.

The term "mancrush" is simply slang. A long time ago people used to say you wanted to be a man that "woman wanted to be with, and men wanted to be". Clint Eastwood certainly qualified. Mel Gibson did at one time, until he started scaring people.

Hell, I would like to be Stanley Tucci, with his incredible career. He has a beautiful wife, but I think he can get away with a reasonably normal life where he can put on a hat and sunglasses and go outside without being overwhelmed.

February 8th, 2015 at 12:46:16 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I like how Joe Rogan is rather close to his character from News Radio, Joe the Handyman.

I have a lot of time for Greg Graffin, singer from Bad Religion, author and lecturer. His early interviews show a lot of maturity for a punk-rock singer, and later on in life he's managed to have both a life as a teacher and a musician.

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 8th, 2015 at 1:25:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
There was a saying in the 50's and 60's,
what man doesn't want to be Frank Sinatra.
They meant who doesn't have a man
crush on Frank. He was at the height of
his career, coolness personified, took no
crap from anybody, was wealthy and could
have (and did) any woman he wanted.

Frank would be 100 years old this year. His
coolness will never be matched, it covered
all areas. His best friend Dean Martin was
almost as cool. Dean was not impressed
with anybody, especially Frank. Dean would
even tell the Mob to go take a hike, something
Frank would never do. Dean just didn't care
about anything, a rare trait. Nobody knew him
well, not his kids or his wives. He wasn't a
talker, he kept to himself and played a lot
of golf. He would do nightclubs and only sing
half a song, and tell the audience to buy the
record if they wanted to hear it. They loved
it because that's how Dean was.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 8th, 2015 at 1:32:41 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I'd have to go with my long-running choice of Kurt Russell, who can do comedy (Used Cars, Big Trouble in Little China, Captain Ron) equally as well as bad asses (Escape from NY, Soldier, Stargate). Or a newcomer to my list, Daniel Craig. That guy has an amazing body, which I admire in a wholesome, not-gay-whatsoever manner. And his face is rugged, not a Hollywood face at all.

In a related idea, I find Top Chef host Padma Lakshmi incredibly sexy. She's in great shape for being in her mid-40s, and she never covers up that hideous scar on her arm from a car accident at a young age. Most women would hide it, Padma goes sleeveless nearly always. Plus, she was married to Salman Rushdie for three years. That guy in on no one's sexiest man list, but she married him anyway. She had her pick-of-the-litter, and she chose someone for his mind. That's hot.

/hijack

February 8th, 2015 at 1:50:31 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
One of my favourite eels songs has Padma in the video:

I don't think Michael Everett True is on anyone's man crush list, though. Still, love his music.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 8th, 2015 at 2:20:18 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: zippyboy
In a related idea, I find Top Chef host Padma Lakshmi incredibly sexy.

I am not sure how this is a related idea.
Page 3 of 4<1234>