Mid-Life Crisis

Page 3 of 4<1234>
February 10th, 2015 at 9:32:36 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Face
If it's CAN vs USA, we can't be friends.

CCCP only. Respect the game.

;)

My childhood memories are definitely the CCCP version.

At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 10th, 2015 at 11:20:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: DRich
“Today is the youngest you will ever be, live like it."

I've been younger. I miss it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 12th, 2015 at 1:12:41 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I'm still in my mid-life crisis, though perhaps it's (thankfully) mostly past. I agree it's hormonal, though environment plays a big part. I think it's the point where you look around and realize, no, I'm not going to be President, I'm not going to be Einstein, I'm just going to be...me. If you didn't have kids and now you won't, it's worse, because biologically you have not performed your basic function. If you had kids and based your life on raising them for a couple of decades, it's worse, because they're no longer the focus. If your job has been your area of concentration, it's worse, because you've likely topped out in your company and younger people are starting to be promoted above you.

You're paying for any youthful excesses at this point. I played basketball and volleyball in high school and college, so my knees haven't worked properly since my 40's. Your liver gets hard spots, your eyes need readers, it hurts to get up in the morning, your teeth are failing you, every bone you ever broke hurts with weather changes. You can't drink hard liquor or eat spicy food any more; milk has become your go-to sustenance. Ensure is looking better every day.

And you start to question the American value set, the one that says, "he who dies with the most toys wins". What the hell were you chasing all those years? Where did the time with the kids go? How did I ever want to join with this baggy old person? Why did all those people important to me die young? How can they call this crap music?

Hopefully, you get past this stuff. For me, it adds up to whether I'm adding value to the world any more, some kind of raison d'etre. My career as an ATC gave me more than I gave it, and I gave it everything I had, became one of the best, but that was yesterday. The purpose of keeping people out of danger, saving a few lives over the years, providing a critical service; that was something to live for. Was.

Depressing myself all over again. Moving on. Probably no help, DRich, except maybe to know you're not alone.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 12th, 2015 at 1:26:57 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: beachbumbabs

Probably no help, DRich, except maybe to know you're not alone.

Thank you. FYI, every morning starts with Ensure for me although I buy the generic one. Us older folks refuse to pay for name brands and fancy marketing efforts.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 12th, 2015 at 2:15:59 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: DRich
Us older folks refuse to pay for name brands and fancy marketing efforts.
That's for sure. Besides, the box wine has more reservetrol than the higher priced wines anyway.
February 12th, 2015 at 2:18:33 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Depressing myself all over again

I hope you don't really have to deal with anything 'clinical level' ... although DT is probably the place to admit that, if there is one.

Knock on wood, any disappointments to deal with for me, I handle OK, just not the kind of guy to get the blues that bad. We all have our moments. The really important things are going well for me, actually.

You can't drink hard liquor or eat spicy food any more

now wait a minute! LOL
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 12th, 2015 at 2:41:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You can't drink hard liquor or eat spicy food any more; .

I eat spicy foods every day and drink
vodka at night and I'm at least 10
years older than you. Lose the milk,
that stuff will kill you. Get rid of the
carbs and gluten and the lactose
and you'll feel a lot better.

Find a new career, I am. Always remember,
Col Sanders started KFC at the age of 65,
selling chicken he cooked at home to local
restaurants, out of the trunk of his car. That
was in the Dark Ages, 1950. In 1952 there
was one KFC, 12 years later there were
600. Now there are 30,000. All because
of one retired cook.

Only in America.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 12th, 2015 at 2:51:09 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
Lose the milk,
that stuff will kill you.

I'd rather die. Half gallon a day here.

Quote: EB
Find a new career, I am.

While you're at it, find one for me =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 12th, 2015 at 3:02:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
I'd rather die. Half gallon a day here.

Beer is better than milk, get rid of it.

" Willett’s chief worry is that drinking too much milk may pose dangers. “By now there’s quite a body of data showing a higher risk of fatal prostate cancer associated with milk,” he tells WebMD. “And though the evidence is somewhat mixed, we’ve still seen a slightly higher risk of ovarian cancer associated with drinking three or more servings of milk.”

"A new study published in the British Medical Journal followed more than 100,000 people in Sweden over periods of 20 to 30 years. The result was a shocker: The good milk drinkers were more likely to die from heart disease and cancer, and among the women, the milk drinkers suffered more overall fractures and hip fractures."

It's the milk sugar that does you in,
but it's not in cheese and yogurt.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 12th, 2015 at 5:51:21 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
once in a blue moon -on a hot day - I can dig milk that has been in a container that was dunked for a while in ice water. [fridge temp doesn't get it done]

now buttermilk - the really good stuff - irresistible at all times. Does not have to be super cold. Not sure it is good for you, so I try not to keep it around.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
Page 3 of 4<1234>