Who's responsible for this?

Page 1 of 212>
February 9th, 2015 at 4:00:39 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Who the hell came up with the idea of having a Monday succeed the weekend? Whom do we blame for this?

Wouldn't it bet better to have any other day follow the weekend? Monday could go elsewhere. Say into a black hole.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 9th, 2015 at 4:04:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
We should work every other day, all year long.
A day off every other day.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 10th, 2015 at 3:44:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Work? In some of those island paradises the natives rarely actually work. Food grows abundantly, chickens produce eggs, fishing is relaxation, not work. Food preparation is done by females and if from time to time there is no electricity there is plenty of branches to fit into the clay oven.

In Rio Dulce, an American and Australian ex-patriate community, there is a BBQ store that sells almost 30 types of German beers, meat from the USA, Canada, Argentina and Australia, twenty or so different spices and rubs, salami, cheeses, ground Angus and ground chicken and tuna steaks. Delivery is to homes or yachts. Note: Six room hotel w/ 40 person Bar/Restaurant and seven slips available for 200k cash.

In Scandinavian countries all jobs pretty much pay the same thing, so you might as well do what you love doing because you get paid no more for being a doctor than for being a nurse or a janitor.
February 10th, 2015 at 6:34:28 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
We should work every other day, all year long.
A day off every other day.

I've done it. It has it's downsides.

You never really get a full day off, at least it never seemed like it. I like staying up late, so I could only do so on days in which the beginning of the day was wasted at work. On my day off, I had to bed early to be up for work the next day. It was just weird.

Given a choice, I think the corrections schedule is best. Work like 10 doubles in a row, then have like 3 weeks straight off.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 10th, 2015 at 8:14:43 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
The mines around here work 7 12s and then have 7 days off. For most people you only really get 5 days that you can do anything. First day off is to recover and last day off is to get prepare for the next 7 on.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 10th, 2015 at 11:59:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: kenarman
The mines around here work 7 12s and then have 7 days off. .

I would have loved that when I was young
and single. After 40, not so much.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 11th, 2015 at 6:28:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
In Mexico off-shore oil rig workers have a 14-day work shift, then get 14 days off. While this seems good, those 14 working days are long and there are no days off at the oil platforms (unless you're too sick to work). I wonder what it's like.

I would love a seven-day work week, followed by a three-day weekend. Ideally 6 days and 3 would be better, but weeks have to be either 7 or ten days long. Seven because it's what everyone's sued to, ten because it's easy to keep track of its multiples.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 12th, 2015 at 9:07:28 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
My best-ever schedule was 4 10 hour days, then 3 days off. Right there you saved hours of get-ready and round trip commute time. You had a day to recover, a day for fun, a day for chores every week, and you always had at least 1 weekday to do necessary (and unnecessary, like golf when the course wasn't busy) things during business hours. I saved so much leave on that schedule, had so many nice long weekends, but got paid doubletime for all my holidays because of the 40 hours in a week. It was great.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 12th, 2015 at 9:19:46 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: beachbumbabs
My best-ever schedule was 4 10 hour days, then 3 days off. Right there you saved hours of get-ready and round trip commute time. You had a day to recover, a day for fun, a day for chores every week, and you always had at least 1 weekday to do necessary (and unnecessary, like golf when the course wasn't busy) things during business hours. I saved so much leave on that schedule, had so many nice long weekends, but got paid doubletime for all my holidays because of the 40 hours in a week. It was great.

I was going to post this as an argument to my own claim of the corrections schedule being "good", because the bad part of the CO schedule is it doesn't jive with the 7 day week. Guys like me with the hockey and racing on the weekends would be worked out of it, it wouldn't be possible.

I've also done the 4-10's, and yeah, it is pretty awesome. I had two on, one off, two on, two off. Best schedule I ever had. It was like a week comprised of nothing but Thurdays, Fridays, and weekends. Nareed would love it ;)

Nowadays I'd kill for a 4-10. And if I could incorporate doubles into that? It wouldn't even be like "work" anymore.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 12th, 2015 at 4:36:58 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Face
I was going to post this as an argument to my own claim of the corrections schedule being "good", because the bad part of the CO schedule is it doesn't jive with the 7 day week. Guys like me with the hockey and racing on the weekends would be worked out of it, it wouldn't be possible.

I've also done the 4-10's, and yeah, it is pretty awesome. I had two on, one off, two on, two off. Best schedule I ever had. It was like a week comprised of nothing but Thurdays, Fridays, and weekends. Nareed would love it ;)

Nowadays I'd kill for a 4-10. And if I could incorporate doubles into that? It wouldn't even be like "work" anymore.

I miss the good old days when I worked Monday through Thursday approximately 10am to 2pm. Now I am back to the grind of having to show up all five days.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 1 of 212>