Better Call Saul

Page 1 of 341234>Last »
February 22nd, 2015 at 7:26:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Three episodes so far and it's as good as
Breaking Bad was in the early first season.
Best thing, they brought back Jonathon
Banks as Mike. He was the best character
on BB. Also Raymond Cruz as Tuco Salamanca.

The plot moves slowly, and everything isn't
always explained but revealed later, just like
in BB. Vince Gilligan is really working at showing
us what a scumbag lowlife Saul Goodman was
before he became Saul Goodman.

You can see the first 3 eps on Hulu or Xfinity
on Demand if you have Comcast.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 22nd, 2015 at 7:52:18 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I can say that after three episodes I am not hooked yet. I see some potential but I think it is starting a little slower than Breaking Bad did.

I sure hope that in the next three episodes I see some improvement or else I probably won't go any further.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 22nd, 2015 at 8:07:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: DRich
I sure hope that in the next three episodes I see some improvement

Totally disagree. Better start by far than
BB. I agree with everything in this review:

So here it is at last: one of the most highly anticipated new TV-shows of the year, the spin-off from probably THE most highly praised TV-show in the history of Television. Naturally, expectations were over the roof - and it was a forgone conclusion that meeting those expectations would be next to impossible. Well, here's the good news. Judging from the first episode, 'Better Call Saul' will be good. Just how good remains to be seen, but as far as promises go, that first episode was a big one.

For those who haven't seen it yet: relax - I won't spoil a thing about the storyline. Instead, I'll concentrate on all other aspects of the opening episode. The first thing you notice (as was the case with Breaking Bad) is the camera. The photography is simply gorgeous. All the visual trademarks I've grown to love so much in BB are there: the playful camera angles; the creative ways to establish even a simple scene with unusual, interesting shots (yet without ever distracting from the storytelling) - it's just beautiful to look at.

Then there's the music. From the wonderful introduction (before the opening credits) to the last scene of this first episode, music is not just used as background "noise": carefully picked songs are there to give clues and are as much an integral part of the story as they help establish the tone of certain scenes. And the original music by Dave Porter feels as organic to 'Better Call Saul' as it did in 'Breaking Bad'.

The writing, directing and acting (so far) are on par with BB; anyone afraid this would be a rushed production trying to surf on BB's success can relax; not for a second did I get the feeling this was somehow not well thought through or cheaply constructed by a committee of writers - and although we do of course get some of our favorite characters back, new ones are introduced that promise to be just as original and interesting as the ones that helped turn BB into a cultural phenomenon. And adding high calibre actors such as Michael McKean ('This Is Spinal Tap') to the cast is probably an indication that Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould will not content themselves - or us - by mainly exploring the characters we already know.

And then, finally, there's the magnificent Bob Odenkirk. Starting off as a slightly one-dimensional character and comic relief in BB, the character we've come to love as the sleazy, slick Saul Goodman has already shown more layers in this first episode than over his entire run on BB. And that's as much thanks to Odenkirk as the fantastic writing: the actor obviously relished the opportunity to show what he's capable of as his character charms, squirms and threatens his way through his scenes, but - somewhat unexpectedly - he also manages to move you during the more quiet moments.

To sum up my overall impressions from this first episode: 'Better Call Saul' will be a darkly comic, multilayered story that could end up being just as unusual and exciting as we all dared to hope. The tone may be consistent with 'Breaking Bad', but make no mistake: this is very much its own thing. The writing, directing and acting - as well as the production values - are top notch, and if what we've seen so far is anything to go by, we're in for a great first season of a very promising new show. My (provisional) rating: 9 stars out of 10
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 22nd, 2015 at 11:28:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I just wonder what is going to be happening on the road to Damascus to transform the incompetent jerk into the competent jerk?
February 22nd, 2015 at 11:30:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Fleastiff
I just wonder what is going to be happening on the road to Damascus to transform the incompetent jerk into the competent jerk?

Saul has brains, he just needs a direction. I
think he's going to find that soon..
February 23rd, 2015 at 3:09:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff

We will just have to wait and see. I didn't know this was on Hulu, thought I would have to wait for season to end and be on Netflix. Cable? We don't need no stinking cable!

Anyways, lets remember that we saw Walter transform from a guy scared of his own shadow to a crime lord ordering hits and his hitman accepting his demands in just over one year of time, although being married to Skyler would make most any normal guy irritable.

So I guess I need to tune in tonight and binge-up. Best part is Mike will be a major focus.
The President is a fink.
February 23rd, 2015 at 12:48:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
The first 3 eps are being repeated on AMC this
evening followed by a new one at 10pm.
February 23rd, 2015 at 3:51:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
The first 3 eps are being repeated on AMC this
evening followed by a new one at 10pm.

Don't see the episodes on Hulu.
The President is a fink.
February 23rd, 2015 at 4:39:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
I read they were on Hulu.
February 23rd, 2015 at 5:03:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
I read they were on Hulu.

Nope, just highlights.

To join the class action for false advertising call 505-503-4455
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 341234>Last »