Do it yourself

August 19th, 2021 at 6:28:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's a tent, it sucks. No electric, you freeze in the winter sweat to death in the summer. Even if you have electric how do you air condition a tent. Maybe you could live in Southern California in a tent but any place where there is real weather it's going to suck. They're super easy to break into, and have all your stuff stolen. Tents made for very temporary living, you can hear every little thing going on outside the tent and anybody outside can hear every little thing going on inside the tent. No privacy at all. Living in a tent would be your absolute last ditch option for housing. Who lives in tents? Homeless people because they have no other choice.

Before we moved to the country in the late 1950s my dad went on this tent camping gig and forced us to camp in a tent for two summers, it sucked. Everything about it sucked. There was not one good thing about sleeping in a tent and living in a tent in the daytime. It's buggy, you have zero privacy, whatever the weather is outside that's the weather inside the tent
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 20th, 2021 at 9:50:44 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
It's a tent, it sucks. No electric, you freeze in the winter sweat to death in the summer. Even if you have electric how do you air condition a tent. Maybe you could live in Southern California in a tent but any place where there is real weather it's going to suck. They're super easy to break into, and have all your stuff stolen. Tents made for very temporary living, you can hear every little thing going on outside the tent and anybody outside can hear every little thing going on inside the tent. No privacy at all. Living in a tent would be your absolute last ditch option for housing. Who lives in tents? Homeless people because they have no other choice.

Before we moved to the country in the late 1950s my dad went on this tent camping gig and forced us to camp in a tent for two summers, it sucked. Everything about it sucked. There was not one good thing about sleeping in a tent and living in a tent in the daytime. It's buggy, you have zero privacy, whatever the weather is outside that's the weather inside the tent

I agree with Bob. Why would people intentionally do that. I think the Holiday Inn is roughing it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 20th, 2021 at 9:59:19 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
I agree with Bob. Why would people intentionally do that. I think the Holiday Inn is roughing it.

You think staying alive is roughing it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 20th, 2021 at 11:03:35 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: rxwine
You think staying alive is roughing it.

Yes
August 20th, 2021 at 11:16:09 AM permalink
rxwine
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 20th, 2021 at 12:05:22 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2

When I was a kid and my mother was exasperated about some mistake I made that cost us money, she would say that if I wasn't more careful we would end up living in a tent. I knew she was venting, but I always thought it was an odd expression. Other parents would say things like "you are going to drive us to the poorhouse."

I found out after I was grown that during the depression, before my mom was born, her father took a job on a government dam project. My grandparents lived in a tent city as newlyweds. My mom must have picked up the expression from her parents who no doubt considered tent living to be the low point of their lives.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
August 20th, 2021 at 12:44:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: JimRockford
When I was a kid and my mother was exasperated about some mistake I made that cost us money, she would say that if I wasn't more careful we would end up living in a tent. I knew she was venting, but I always thought it was an odd expression. Other parents would say things like "you are going to drive us to the poorhouse."

I found out after I was grown that during the depression, before my mom was born, her father took a job on a government dam project. My grandparents lived in a tent city as newlyweds. My mom must have picked up the expression from her parents who no doubt considered tent living to be the low point of their lives.

Short of a few days of good weather, I can't imagine using it for any other good reason. Only other good reason, is that's where the Army put you.
August 20th, 2021 at 4:50:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: JimRockford

I found out after I was grown that during the depression, before my mom was born, her father took a job on a government dam project. My grandparents lived in a tent city as newlywed.

I knew immediately what your mom meant. During the Depression the poorest of the poor lived in tents. Just like today the poorest of the poor among us live in tents. They are cheap, they are portable, they are replaceable. And you can make a tent out of almost anything. Tarps, sheets and blankets, big pieces of fabric. I even hated sleeping in a pup tent when I was a kid. Hated it, couldn't wait to get back to my own bed.

On the TV show MASH the tents they lived in were luxurious inside compared to what the real tents in Korea would have been like. I guarantee nobody lived in a tent in Korea as nice as the ones on that TV show. For one thing the villages had to move around a lot in real life. On the 11 years that MASH was on the air I only remember them 'bugging out' twice. Of course we were only in Korea for three years I think, 11 seasons covered 36 months of real life.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 20th, 2021 at 6:00:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

On the 11 years that MASH was on the air I only remember them 'bugging out' twice. Of course we were only in Korea for three years I think, 11 seasons covered 36 months of real life.

One of the doctors mentioned that they moved I forget how many times, 8-10 I think. It was just not practical to have a bunch of bug-out episodes. After the 1st year in Korea the lines did not move much.
The President is a fink.
August 20th, 2021 at 6:32:06 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: AZDuffman
One of the doctors mentioned that they moved I forget how many times, 8-10 I think. It was just not practical to have a bunch of bug-out episodes. After the 1st year in Korea the lines did not move much.

I thought the first five years or so of the show was great. It definitely went down hill but it was still a solid show. I thought they did a good job replacing the characters of Frank Burns and Henry Blake.