Do it yourself

September 14th, 2021 at 2:41:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Never had a pool, any kind of cool. Always seems like way too much work to me for what I would get out of it. And people who have pools all they do is bitch about it all the time .I feel the same way about boats. My brother-in-law has a boat on Lake Michigan it is just one hassle after another. For what, so he can enjoy it a few weeks in the summer? Not worth my time

Neighbor let us use his while he was gone. All we did was drop these chlorine pellets in, about the size of a hockey puck, once a week or so.
The President is a fink.
September 14th, 2021 at 2:43:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
I hear what you're saying. But some folks like being able to share their beautiful sculpted pool palaces with others.

Some people are natural hosts. They are the kind who would like running a hotel. I've known people who when I would visit have the room set up almost like a hotel, they took pride in it.
The President is a fink.
September 14th, 2021 at 2:57:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Some people are natural hosts.

I'm not a people person, I can go weeks without seeing anybody. I perfectly understand how the Unibomber lived alone for so long. I generally find people to be very boring but people are never bored with me. I know this because that's what I've been told. I can hold a reasonable conversation with almost anyone on any subject. The same cannot be said for most people.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 14th, 2021 at 3:50:42 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Veering off the subject of "pools" to "ponds."

My home is built into a slope and has a professionally landscaped 2-tier waterfall into a pond.

No fish: just the sound of falling water which is so very relaxing.

I have to do regular maintenance on it to keep it tip-top, but to me it's a labor of love: I freakin' love this water feature.
September 15th, 2021 at 1:21:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Not just air cooling, but make ice in the desert.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 15th, 2021 at 1:51:09 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Never had a pool, any kind of cool. Always seems like way too much work to me for what I would get out of it. And people who have pools all they do is bitch about it all the time .I feel the same way about boats. My brother-in-law has a boat on Lake Michigan it is just one hassle after another. For what, so he can enjoy it a few weeks in the summer? Not worth my time

I agree about boats, I don't plan to own another one. The pool isn't that much bother for me but I do pay a service to have it cleaned weekly.

My friend in Michigan with a boat just moves it to Ft. Lauderdale in the winter so he can use it regularly.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 15th, 2021 at 4:04:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Not just air cooling, but make ice in the desert.

Neat stuff
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 15th, 2021 at 5:10:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: DRich

My friend in Michigan with a boat just moves it to Ft. Lauderdale in the winter so he can use it regularly.

Each to his own a waste of time for me. I find looking at water and being on water to be extraordinary boring. There's nothing to look at except, water. I lived in Santa Barbara for five years and had an ocean view and I realized after about six months that if I had a picture on my wall of an ocean view it was every bit as good as seeing the ocean out my window. I could do just as much with that picture as I could with the actual view. That is, absolutely nothing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 18th, 2021 at 12:58:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
This is what real men do on Saturdays, they maintain and gas up their cars. In the 50s and into the 60s this is what men did on Saturdays. They mowed the lawn,
they checked the fluid levels in their vehicles, and they gassed up their vehicles on the way back from the hardware store. This was a Saturday ritual etched in stone. All up and down my street hoods would be up, rotary mowers would be going. My dad had nothing but used Cadillacs in the 50s because they were quality and they weren't that much more expensive then a Buick or Oldsmobile. He would always go to the local Sunoco station and fill it up with 260, the highest octane gas you can buy. It was almost racing fuel. If you ran anything less in the 50s Cadillac it knocked so bad you couldn't drive it.

I'm having real man Saturdays in September and October. Today I gassed up my van and went to the local butcher shop. Last Saturday I mowed on the John Deere. Maybe the hardware store for next Saturday. It's what real men do.

September 18th, 2021 at 3:02:34 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
This is what real men do on Saturdays, they maintain and gas up their cars. In the 50s and into the 60s this is what men did on Saturdays. They mowed the lawn,
they checked the fluid levels in their vehicles, and they gassed up their vehicles on the way back from the hardware store. This was a Saturday ritual etched in stone. All up and down my street hoods would be up, rotary mowers would be going. My dad had nothing but used Cadillacs in the 50s because they were quality and they weren't that much more expensive then a Buick or Oldsmobile. He would always go to the local Sunoco station and fill it up with 260, the highest octane gas you can buy. It was almost racing fuel. If you ran anything less in the 50s Cadillac it knocked so bad you couldn't drive it.

I'm having real man Saturdays in September and October. Today I gassed up my van and went to the local butcher shop. Last Saturday I mowed on the John Deere. Maybe the hardware store for next Saturday. It's what real men do.

You don't have people to do all that for you? I'm sorry.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.