Do it yourself

October 9th, 2021 at 3:07:03 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: DRich
You don't have people to do all that for you? I'm sorry.

That's what real rich men do.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Actually, no: I'm with EB on this one, as I worked on one of my cars today and am about to mow the lawn.

I could hire someone but I enjoy automotive work and while I don't enjoy yard work it is good exercise, and I do it for that reason.

Good to know I'm a "real" man...

Feeling So Real
October 9th, 2021 at 3:13:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
The whole top of this van is wood. And lots of interior wood craft as well

I imagine it would make quite a splintery crash scene.

Looks nice and functional otherwise.

All I see is a huge amount of work to make your van weigh a thousand pounds more and it turn it into a wind magnet on the freeway. Top heavy as hell because it's all wood, a good gust of wind and it will be on its side. I made that mistake with a trailer 30 years ago. I took a steel open trailer and put wood sides and a roof on it and it whipped all over the place on the freeway when it was empty.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 9th, 2021 at 6:47:59 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee
That's what real rich men do.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Actually, no: I'm with EB on this one, as I worked on one of my cars today and am about to mow the lawn.

I could hire someone but I enjoy automotive work and while I don't enjoy yard work it is good exercise, and I do it for that reason.

Good to know I'm a "real" man...

Feeling So Real

If you enjoy it more power to you. I hate doing it and would rather pay someone that wants to do it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 10th, 2021 at 12:29:15 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
if soldering has come up before, I'd have to think not exactly this ... in any case, I don't follow this thread much, so ...

I have a handheld gps that has broken connections where you put the AA batteries in. You know how they snap in, and those contacts broke. I can tell the gps still works fine otherwise, because when I attach it to the computer by USB cord, it comes on. I found a kit to replace it, but I forget now, too expensive, or not sure it's the right one, or looks to difficult, something ...

does anyone solder? seems to me you could put the batteries in, and then to make connection, solder it

good plan? bad plan?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 10th, 2021 at 12:32:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
if soldering has come up before, I'd have to think not exactly this ... in any case, I don't follow this thread much, so ...

I have a handheld gps that has broken connections where you put the AA batteries in. You know how they snap in, and those contacts broke. I can tell the gps still works fine otherwise, because when I attach it to the computer by USB cord, it comes on. I found a kit to replace it, but I forget now, too expensive, or not sure it's the right one, or looks to difficult, something ...

does anyone solder? seems to me you could put the batteries in, and then to make connection, solder it

good plan? bad plan?

At the very worst, it still won't work. (probably not helpful : )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 10th, 2021 at 1:17:40 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
no, good point

the durn thing is worth a couple hundred when it's working, more than that new
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 17th, 2021 at 12:39:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Just doing the simplest thing like installing this hook and eye latch on my storm door can make you feel like you've really accomplished something. Partly because I've been meaning to do it for so long. Sometimes the door doesn't latch properly and gets caught in the wind and I hate it when delivery people open the storm door and bang on the inner door. Good luck doing that now.

Drich would have call the contractor and got an estimate and then schedule and appointment for a professional to come in and charge $150 to do it. Using my battery power drill took me about 8 minutes

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 17th, 2021 at 2:03:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob

Drich would have call the contractor and got an estimate and then schedule and appointment for a professional to come in and charge $150 to do it.

Hopefully, even Drich wouldn't pay more than $75.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 18th, 2021 at 6:01:38 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
Just doing the simplest thing like installing this hook and eye latch on my storm door can make you feel like you've really accomplished something. Partly because I've been meaning to do it for so long. Sometimes the door doesn't latch properly and gets caught in the wind and I hate it when delivery people open the storm door and bang on the inner door. Good luck doing that now.

Drich would have call the contractor and got an estimate and then schedule and appointment for a professional to come in and charge $150 to do it. Using my battery power drill took me about 8 minutes

Yo don't know me as well as you think. I would not call a contractor, I would call a real estate agent and sell the house and buy a new one that is already how I want it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 20th, 2021 at 11:26:03 AM permalink
Evenbob
Last spring when I spent two months looking for a used Toyota van people kept asking me why do you need a van. This is why. There's no way with my car can I can haul this 6 foot 44 pound telescoping multi ladder up from the barn to the house without the van. Real man are never without a hauling vehicle. I bought this thing for $250 10 years ago and I've used it probably five times. Well I'm not 62 anymore and I have to do everything in segments. Today segment was bringing it up from the barn. Tomorrow segment will be using it. It's a great ladder extends to 22ft. I will be using it as a very sturdy step ladder and not going up past the second step.