Do it yourself

November 2nd, 2021 at 5:13:29 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: JimRockford
My tips.
- If you have trouble with rats, squirrels, raccoons etc. attacking suit, use the hot pepper suit. Mammals won't touch it but it doesn't bother birds at all.
- I have found that the birds around here prefer black oil sunflower seeds to any of the seed mixes. I buy it by the 40 lb bag.
Those are good tips Jim.

I'd seen Jalapeno suet but couldn't make sense of it, my thick head? But that is good to know, I have friends as well that practickly give in to the squirrels and Jays on Suet. I'll share that with them, maybe they can get some bird watching time in around the scoundrels?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 2nd, 2021 at 5:56:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
Those are good tips Jim.

I'd seen Jalapeno suet but couldn't make sense of it, my thick head? But that is good to know, I have friends as well that practickly give in to the squirrels and Jays on Suet. I'll share that with them, maybe they can get some bird watching time in around the scoundrels?

Might be fun to mix a few hot ones with the regular mix rather than just use all hot.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 2nd, 2021 at 7:38:07 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: petroglyph
Those are good tips Jim.

One more tip for squirrels. A lot of seed feeders claim to be squirrel proof but this one actually is. Anything heavier than a bird pulls down the outer cage and closes access to the seed.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Squirrel-Buster-Green-Metal-Tube-Bird-Feeder/50370510

The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
November 3rd, 2021 at 12:59:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'm doing today what real men do in November, making my windows airtight for the coming winter. I usually take my air conditioners out of the windows in the office and the bedroom but I'm leaving them in year-round now because I'm getting too old for that. Whoever invented expanding foam should have gotten the Nobel Prize. I use it to fill in the gaps around the air conditioners and it's a miracle worker. You have to wear gloves and you have to use the entire can in one session because chances are it'll be plugged up if you try to use it again.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 3rd, 2021 at 2:48:49 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Evenbob
I'm doing today what real men do in November, making my windows airtight for the coming winter. I usually take my air conditioners out of the windows in the office and the bedroom but I'm leaving them in year-round now because I'm getting too old for that.

Real men either buy homes with central air or add it after buying.
November 3rd, 2021 at 3:31:56 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee

I think the house I just bought only has a 3 ton system. A little small for a 2000 sq ft house.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 3rd, 2021 at 3:32:49 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I think the house I just bought only has a 3 ton system. A little small for a 2000 sq ft house.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 3rd, 2021 at 3:36:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich

Shouldn't be a problem, as you don't like being cold anyway.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 3rd, 2021 at 4:13:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I had central air for years. It broke down 10 years ago and the cost to repair it was so astronomical and because I basically only use two rooms in the house, why was I cooling the whole thing. So I got window units for my bedroom and my office and the cost difference in electricity is mind-blowing. And I'm in the unconditioned part of the house such a short amount of time that who cares.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 3rd, 2021 at 4:51:41 PM permalink
rxwine
I just shut vents when I don't use rooms with central air. I've never heard a window air conditioner quiet enough to suit me. I payed $300 each for several Dyson fans instead of $20 box fans, just for how quiet they are.