Do it yourself

November 8th, 2021 at 7:07:43 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
Of course, what was I thinking. You would have no use for a tomato.

I don't eat any fruits. Maybe twice a year I will have a glass of OJ.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 20th, 2021 at 12:54:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Real men who are also cooks start getting ready for Thanksgiving well over a week before it happens. All the best sales are the week before. The week of Thanksgiving is the worst time to shop for Thanksgiving. I've been thawing my turkey for 3 Days in the fridge and today I cut it up into pieces. The hardest thing about it is being careful not to cut myself with my super sharp Victorianox chef's knife. I sharpened it right before I did the turkey and it's like a straight razor. Very easy to cut yourself if you're not paying attention. With the knife and a hammer to pound the blade through the toughest parts I made short work of it.

I saved the breast and the two drumsticks and refroze for turkey day. I will cook them frozen in the pressure cooker on Thanksgiving. Today I'm cooking everything that's left that is pretty much inedible The neck, the back, the wings. It half-filled the pressure cooker. I will pick whatever meat I can get off the bones for dinner tonight make a gravy with the broth and give the rest of the broth to the cat's in the next few days.

The knife I use is the knife that always wins the competition in America's Test Kitchen almost every year as the best chef's knife. It beats out knives that cost ten times more. It's made by Victorianox, the company that makes the Swiss Army knife. And it's very inexpensive, I got mine for $30 on Amazon. It will take and hold a razor edge and with a few swipes from a steel you can bring the blade back. A cook is only as good as his knife. It's his most important tool.

This is a rare picture of a very young Anthony Bourdain before he even went to culinary school. The knife he's using he never parted with, he took it home with him every night wrapped in a cloth. There's a great picture I wish I could find of him and two other chefs standing outside the restaurant with their knives in their belt. Tony had the same knife in his belt that he's using in this picture. It's the most important tool you have it's like an extension of your arm in the kitchen.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 20th, 2021 at 4:29:04 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Here ya go:

November 20th, 2021 at 4:41:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: missedhervee
Here ya go:

That's it, one of the most iconic pictures of Tony that's out there. He was a hardcore drug addict but he went to work everyday
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 20th, 2021 at 5:25:10 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich

I try to eat one piece of fruit a day
Generally for breakfast
Usually a banana
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 20th, 2021 at 6:59:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: DRich

It's probably for the best that you don't.. It's like waxing a car that's got rust all over it. Why bother.
November 21st, 2021 at 5:42:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Went to Home Depot to buy a small item. When I asked employee about it, he mentioned all the Black Friday discounts were in a row all the way down the front of the store. Ended up buying a lot more stuff than I went in for. Didn't mind. Got some good discounts.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 28th, 2021 at 11:27:15 AM permalink
Evenbob
What a fun couple days. I discovered on Friday that one of those big Amazon delivery trucks had run over my mailbox knocking the post over and tearing the mailbox completely off the top of the post. I'm sure it's one of the moron minority women who when backing her truck up last year let her back wheels go over the side of the hill and had to call a tow truck. She probably doesn't even know she hit the mailbox. It has to happen when winter finally arrives, snow in the twenties with a 20 mile an hour wind. I stood the post back upright with a two-by-four brace and a sledgehammer. I put a new board on top of the post and attached to mailbox to it. Luckily I have all the tools and I could run an extension cord out from the barn. A real man always has all the tools he needs on hand. It would have been almost fun if I wasn't freezing my ass off. What should have taken one day took 3 days because of the cold weather. It's supposed to be in the 40s near 50 this week I want to move the box about 4 ft further down the road so it's not so close to the driveway. Luckily I have a post hole digger because at my age I basically have one of everything. If she hit it once she can hit it again and if this was January it would have been a lot harder with the ground frozen.

You can see the post is that a 45 ° angle. It ain't a perfect fix but it's good enough for who it's for.

November 28th, 2021 at 1:13:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If it's not against postal regulations, or some other building code, some people have their whole mailbox encased in bricks.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 28th, 2021 at 2:38:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
If it's not against postal regulations, or some other building code, some people have their whole mailbox encased in bricks.

I'm thinking of bolting four 4 x 4's together and putting three feet of it into the ground surrounded by cement like you do when you build a deck. Try hitting that with your car.