Do it yourself

November 28th, 2021 at 4:50:37 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
I'm thinking of bolting four 4 x 4's together and putting three feet of it into the ground surrounded by cement like you do when you build a deck. Try hitting that with your car.

Why not just put tire spikes in the ground near it?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 28th, 2021 at 4:54:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
Why not just put tire spikes in the ground near it?

The guy who plows my driveway probably wouldn't like it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 29th, 2021 at 3:16:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I'm thinking of bolting four 4 x 4's together and putting three feet of it into the ground surrounded by cement like you do when you build a deck. Try hitting that with your car.

Probably better to get a section of I-beam.
The President is a fink.
November 29th, 2021 at 12:54:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Got a couple of one watt LED bulbs at Amazon that are rated at 15 w.
They actually throw off a lot of light and should last for years.
At 1 Watt they're using almost no electricity and I will leave the light on
24/7. LED bulbs never really burnout they just get dimmer and dimmer.
That's all I use for the last few years and have yet to replace one. I leave
80% of them on all the time. This one throws off a nice soft yellow light
not that bright white light that nobody likes.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 29th, 2021 at 2:56:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Probably better to get a section of I-beam.
I believe that may be against the law? I read once someone really beefed up their post for their box and some numbskull kids come along and hit it with a baseball bat, it broke the kids arm or something and he sued. There are regulations on how strong the post can be, it's not supposed to hurt someone trying to knock it down? j/s
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 29th, 2021 at 3:11:22 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Got a couple of one watt LED bulbs at Amazon that are rated at 15 w.
They actually throw off a lot of light and should last for years.
At 1 Watt they're using almost no electricity and I will leave the light on
24/7. LED bulbs never really burnout they just get dimmer and dimmer.
That's all I use for the last few years and have yet to replace one. I leave
80% of them on all the time. This one throws off a nice soft yellow light
not that bright white light that nobody likes.

The worse my cataracts get the more light I like. I've always liked my house inside lit up like Fred Meyers anyway. Now our paint is getting old which also makes it darker. Ever since that electrical saving idea of some nitwit president happened, shopping for bulbs has been an ordeal. I bought some Sylvania LED Natural 75w A19 bulbs, and they are awful. The color is irritating, such a fake bright white, supposed to be a natural white. I put them in for about a day and replaced them already. I'm throwing them away, the white is so ugly, I can't stand it. I tried putting them in the garage, but same thing, just too ugly. Thought I could use them for the outside lights, but nope. To ugly.

Now, I'm having a situation, I have recessed kitchen lighting with the old T12 4 ft. florescent bulbs which the gov. wants replaced. They were only ever 40w to begin with. I have 4 of the double lamp receptacles above some plastic diffusers in the kitchen and they are real light giving and pretty, but now one of the fixtures has burned out, the starter or something? I'm having trouble finding someone who can reach up and change a fixture for us. One electrician at 75.00 per hour wont' call back.

I've found what's been working well for me is freezer bulbs, the 25 watt kind. They have nice light, although only 25 w. but they last pretty well and can stand the vibration of my ceiling fans. We've also found some real similar to the old 75w bulbs made by Sylvania, the basica 75 Hecho in Mexico. They put out a real nice color of white. I put a hall tree behind my wide screen tv and mounted two clamp lamps to two of the three legs and mounted two clamp lamps pointed up to the ceiling with these basic 75's in them, it lights up the living room really nice and you can't see the lights mounted behind the wide screen.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 29th, 2021 at 3:59:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
The worse my cataracts get the more light I like. I've always liked my house inside lit up like Fred Meyers anyway. Now our paint is getting old which also makes it darker. Ever since that electrical saving idea of some nitwit president happened, shopping for bulbs has been an ordeal. I bought some Sylvania LED Natural 75w A19 bulbs, and they are awful. The color is irritating, such a fake bright white, supposed to be a natural white. I put them in for about a day and replaced them already. I'm throwing them away, the white is so ugly, I can't stand it. I tried putting them in the garage, but same thing, just too ugly. Thought I could use them for the outside lights, but nope. To ugly.

Now, I'm having a situation, I have recessed kitchen lighting with the old T12 4 ft. florescent bulbs which the gov. wants replaced. They were only ever 40w to begin with. I have 4 of the double lamp receptacles above some plastic diffusers in the kitchen and they are real light giving and pretty, but now one of the fixtures has burned out, the starter or something? I'm having trouble finding someone who can reach up and change a fixture for us. One electrician at 75.00 per hour wont' call back.

I've found what's been working well for me is freezer bulbs, the 25 watt kind. They have nice light, although only 25 w. but they last pretty well and can stand the vibration of my ceiling fans. We've also found some real similar to the old 75w bulbs made by Sylvania, the basica 75 Hecho in Mexico. They put out a real nice color of white. I put a hall tree behind my wide screen tv and mounted two clamp lamps to two of the three legs and mounted two clamp lamps pointed up to the ceiling with these basic 75's in them, it lights up the living room really nice and you can't see the lights mounted behind the wide screen.

The fewer dark surfaces in a room will improve the overall brightness of whatever light you have. Every seen that Johnny Cash video "Hurt"? Everything around him in that room he is sitting in is just eating up the light. Of course, he was known as the "man in black" If you have lots of dark furniture, walls, objects, you lose a lot of reflective light.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 29th, 2021 at 4:01:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
I believe that may be against the law? I read once someone really beefed up their post for their box and some numbskull kids come along and hit it with a baseball bat, it broke the kids arm or something and he sued. There are regulations on how strong the post can be, it's not supposed to hurt someone trying to knock it down? j/s

I think that would be kind of hard to prove. Seems you would have grounds for a counter-suit and filing of criminal charges.

I love hearing rednecks getting hurt that way.

The President is a fink.
November 29th, 2021 at 6:42:27 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
It's fine to use an I-beam to hold up your mailbox.

People use different things including stone / rock, brick, and welded ship chain: none of them would face any liability.
November 29th, 2021 at 7:42:23 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: missedhervee
It's fine to use an I-beam to hold up your mailbox.

People use different things including stone / rock, brick, and welded ship chain: none of them would face any liability.

I don't expect it is that black and white. EB's mailbox also is likely on the the road allowance and the local government could have regulations.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin