Do it yourself

Page 3 of 138<123456>Last »
March 8th, 2015 at 12:55:10 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Oh! And don't forget to have a collection of sandpapers. 80 is way too rough to get a good finish, but 220 is way too fine to really remove a lot of medium. Plus, bondo has a tendency to clog the paper quickly as opposed to just powdering off, so you'll go through it much faster than if you were sanding paint or wood.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 8th, 2015 at 2:30:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
I thought you had mad welding skills? Can you braze the whole thing like the old days and use coat hangers for the welding medium? Grind, sand, etc.

lol. I got one welding class doing SMAW with sticks. I would need I think (Face correct me if I am wrong) a MIG. And the part is right next to the plastic bumper cladding. So a nogo all around.

Quote: Face

I think I recalled seeing bondo with "hair" in it. It was just fibreglass strands. I suppose it would give more strength, but I've never made bondo and thought "Gee, I wish this was stronger".

It is not so much "strong" as it is "body." Picture the difference between cake mix and bread dough. Both finish to a similar product, but the dough you can mold to shapes but the mix has to be poured into a mold. I want something cohesive to itself. The hole on one side is far bigger than the other so will start with the smaller first.
The President is a fink.
March 8th, 2015 at 4:15:53 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Need to get on my roof and clean/fix the dryer outlet. What an absurd place to put it, up on my roof . ugh.
Its blocked. My clothes are taking longer to dry.
Need a ladder.
Got a 6 footer but the front roof I need access is 10 feet high
Could borrow one but I like owning stuff to "do it yourself" :-)
Checked Craigs list for ladders
Too small, too high, too expensive then I find the perfect one.
13 feet and it totally bends in 3 spots , I love it
http://www.wernerco.com/us/en/view/Products/Climbing-Equipment/Multi-Purpose-Ladders/MT/MT-13
65 bucks on craigslist.
I was so excited getting home, I extended it got on my roof with the hot beating sun. Damm, those roof tiles really hot.
Next time I go up there either morning or dusk.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 8th, 2015 at 5:31:30 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote:
AZDuffman lol. I got one welding class doing SMAW with sticks.
Don't you have any rednecks around there? Seems like every 4th one of them has a Big Miller welder on the back of the Dodge/Cummins. Get one of them to weld it up for you for a couple of 6 packs. All we did on the island was use insulating foam for backing and either just spray paint it, or roll on bed liner half way up the sides. Anything else in that environment was a waste of time and money. My favorite paint is Zinc Chromate or Krylon.

Sure, use Mig on anything bigger than an inch and a half. If you can move the puddle fast enough you can run bead on a beer can.

Quote:
It is not so much "strong" as it is "body."
Amazing things have been done with this product on a boat: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-5200-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B00JMCH3NE
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 8th, 2015 at 6:57:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: terapined
Need to get on my roof and clean/fix the dryer outlet. What an absurd place to put it, up on my roof . ugh.
Its blocked. My clothes are taking longer to dry.
Need a ladder.
Got a 6 footer but the front roof I need access is 10 feet high
Could borrow one but I like owning stuff to "do it yourself" :-)
Checked Craigs list for ladders
Too small, too high, too expensive then I find the perfect one.
13 feet and it totally bends in 3 spots , I love it
http://www.wernerco.com/us/en/view/Products/Climbing-Equipment/Multi-Purpose-Ladders/MT/MT-13
65 bucks on craigslist.
I was so excited getting home, I extended it got on my roof with the hot beating sun. Damm, those roof tiles really hot.
Next time I go up there either morning or dusk.

It's beyond this to fix it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-Dryer-Vent-Brush/17043436
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 8th, 2015 at 7:04:10 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
lol. I got one welding class doing SMAW with sticks. I would need I think (Face correct me if I am wrong) a MIG. And the part is right next to the plastic bumper cladding. So a nogo all around.

I've heard of doing body work with SMAW, but that's well beyond my abilities. I always just burn holes right through the material =/

Quote: AZD
It is not so much "strong" as it is "body." Picture the difference between cake mix and bread dough. Both finish to a similar product, but the dough you can mold to shapes but the mix has to be poured into a mold. I want something cohesive to itself. The hole on one side is far bigger than the other so will start with the smaller first.

I get it, I just don't know of anything like that. None of the fillers I've used gave that thick, putty-like consistency. By the time a filler has reached that point, it is too cured and too sticky to be workable. You'll just have to back it and build off of it, same as 1993.

Now to make this a proper DIY post, you need to correct the idiocy and reroute the exhaust to the ground floor yourself =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 8th, 2015 at 7:48:56 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I've heard of doing body work with SMAW, but that's well beyond my abilities. I always just burn holes right through the material

It could probably be done with the right, very very light rod, low voltage, and a hand that was good at it. Probably should use AC as well. My dad has a welder but I do not near have the hands. I could probably weld the frame but finesse work not with that equipment. As well I am not taking off the bumper for the project.
The President is a fink.
March 9th, 2015 at 4:16:54 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine

What a great item. I need one, thanks
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 9th, 2015 at 2:10:46 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
What a great item. I need one, thanks

The vent should be moved. More than 1 in five house fires are started by dryers or washing machines.
March 9th, 2015 at 2:22:38 PM permalink
terapined

Now to make this a proper DIY post, you need to correct the idiocy and reroute the exhaust to the ground floor yourself =)

Its going out of my Garage roof because I live in a townhouse.
I have no sides , just front and back. The sides are my neighbors townhouses.
The dryer is in the front part of the house next to my garage.
I have my regular front door to the right of the garage and another door at the back of the garage that opens to the laundry room so thats why the vent goes through the garage roof. The laundry room is at the front of the house next to the garage
I could reroute to the inside of the garage but I keep a lot of stuff in there such as my car and my RV camper and kyak. The moist air from the dryer probabbly not good for the rv camper. I am not allowed to make modifications to the outside of my house because the Association is responsible for everything outside such as roof repairs and paint.

I never run the dryer unless I am home.

Dont want to give my exact address but here is the almost the exact same type of home I own that a neighbor has for sale
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11017-Blaine-Top-Pl-Tampa-FL-33626/58432982_zpid/
Page 3 of 138<123456>Last »