Do it yourself

Page 4 of 138<1234567>Last »
March 11th, 2015 at 10:24:44 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
My ice maker is acting up, dripping water in the freezer so that icicles are forming from the overflow. Anyone fix this problem before?
March 11th, 2015 at 11:18:51 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
iced up due to overwork brought on by recent external temperature changes?

Try looking for the icemaker 'reset' button and the filter 'reset or change' button. Press it. Should work. Actually changing the filter now and then works even better.
March 12th, 2015 at 2:27:24 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Fleastiff
iced up due to overwork brought on by recent external temperature changes?

Try looking for the icemaker 'reset' button and the filter 'reset or change' button. Press it. Should work. Actually changing the filter now and then works even better.

Thanks for the advice. There isn't a reset button for the icemaker, but I'll try changing the filter.
March 12th, 2015 at 5:24:55 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Ayecarumba
My ice maker is acting up, dripping water in the freezer so that icicles are forming from the overflow. Anyone fix this problem before?

Are you getting little black flecks in your ice cubes?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 12th, 2015 at 6:14:41 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: kenarman
Are you getting little black flecks in your ice cubes?
No foreign material. Just icicles as the water intended for the ice maker seems to overflow/splash out of the tray where the ice is supposed to be made. The fill tube appears to be pointed to the right place, but I don't know if the mechanism that is supposed to tell the water valve feeding the icemaker to shut off is like a toilet tank (with a float) or if it is measuring the amount of water flowing past a sensor, or something else. The pattern of icicles seems to indicate that the water is splashing out of the tray, so I am guessing that the valve is not getting the message that the tray is full, and sending too much water. I have know idea how it actually is supposed to work.
March 12th, 2015 at 6:47:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
When I was a kid my grandma had an icebox
and that was the fridge. She had ice delivered
every day. They stopped finally and she was
forced to buy a real fridge. The icebox worked
good. The ice was on top and the cold went
down over the contents. It was just as cold
as an electric one.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 12th, 2015 at 7:46:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
When I was a kid my grandma had an icebox
and that was the fridge. She had ice delivered
every day. They stopped finally and she was
forced to buy a real fridge. The icebox worked
good. The ice was on top and the cold went
down over the contents. It was just as cold
as an electric one.

Full time job delivering ice.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 12th, 2015 at 9:23:18 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Was a very profitable business to haul ice from Canada and Upper New York State... until a doctor in Florida invented air conditioning and someone figured out you make ice with it. Put alot of people out of business. Then the Volstead Act made it important to keep freshly filled bottles cold and home brewers, which meant just about everyone, had to become creative.
March 12th, 2015 at 9:29:13 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Ayecarumba
No foreign material. Just icicles as the water intended for the ice maker seems to overflow/splash out of the tray where the ice is supposed to be made. The fill tube appears to be pointed to the right place, but I don't know if the mechanism that is supposed to tell the water valve feeding the icemaker to shut off is like a toilet tank (with a float) or if it is measuring the amount of water flowing past a sensor, or something else. The pattern of icicles seems to indicate that the water is splashing out of the tray, so I am guessing that the valve is not getting the message that the tray is full, and sending too much water. I have know idea how it actually is supposed to work.

It is likely the water fill mechanism if you have no flecks. The flecks come from the liner inside the ice tray. When it fails the ice sticks and it all doesn't come out cleanly. The ice left behind causes the tray to overflow. Most system have an adjustment for the water level. Google your particular model and it should be relatively simply to adjust it.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 12th, 2015 at 11:23:51 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: kenarman
It is likely the water fill mechanism if you have no flecks. The flecks come from the liner inside the ice tray. When it fails the ice sticks and it all doesn't come out cleanly. The ice left behind causes the tray to overflow. Most system have an adjustment for the water level. Google your particular model and it should be relatively simply to adjust it.
Thanks kenarman! I will check it out.
Page 4 of 138<1234567>Last »