Do it yourself

February 5th, 2016 at 7:32:33 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Face
Turns out one of my favorite bands has written a song about the Good Enough Garage. I suspect many most everyone here can relate. Or, if you fancy yourself a true craftsman, then you at least know someone for whom this would apply (obv, cuz you know me =p)

Yup. Nailed it ;)

In actual DIY news, where the hell do you buy glass? I figured the Googles would be an easy shop. Nope. Mostly I get hits for auto. If I happen to find auto+, they don't have big enough.

Strip malls are everywhere. Where the hell do they get those huge storefront plates?

I just went through this. My house was "modified" dozens of ways by a DIY'er with no interest in codes, physics, or underlying structure. Boy, do I have stories. The utility room on the far side of the carport has a 36x30 window on the front, and a rain storm came through while the laundry door near the back was open. Wind tunnel, no fastening, no lap trim, the whole window w/frame popped out onto the front lawn. I stuck it back in, trying to figure out how it was supposed to be held, lost the daylight, blows out again in the night, except this time the glass broke. Had to take the frame to 6 places, 2 that were out of business but still listed, 3 that couldn't replace the glass, the 6th finally put it in. Took 2 hours, they charged me $40.

Don't people still break glass? Golf/basket/baseballs get thrown, vandalism, tree branches falling, a dozen other things. What do people do if they can't physically take the frame in, like I did? Couldn't find anybody to come out and fix the whole thing; my nephew put it back in the aperture by code, but not before the nosy neighbor had called the police to report me for a code violation, which brought enforcement to my door. Arggghhh.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 6th, 2016 at 1:20:42 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: beachbumbabs
...but not before the nosy neighbor had called the police to report me for a code violation, which brought enforcement to my door. Arggghhh.

Serious? What a tw@. I don't get codes. For businesses, sure. For some private, OK. You don't want the neighbor's burning garage to take out your house because he had Face wire it up on the sly. But a GD window? Pathetic.

Quote: AZDuffman
How big and for what? You might have to go to Buffalo but should be a glass company up there. Maybe call your homeowners agent and ask as they should know from broken windows.

BIG. My problem is thickness. I found exactly what I needed area wise (approx 36" x 92"), but it's all 3/8 thick. Every huge pane I find seems to max at 3/8. I need 3/4, and I can't even find 1/2. 2 freaking hours on the Googles. Not even Corning had it, and I REALLY do not want to do acrylic.

Any of y'all math types have a chemistry background? I'm weak in crystalline chem, but something tells me that two 3/8's panes stacked won't be as strong as a solid 3/4.

It's for my DIY dream aquarium. Got enough of the big problems sussed to where I've started the sourcing stage. Good on everything but this GD glass ><

It won't be over my bed and won't be tropical, but this is a close approximation. Built in some wiggle room, but it'll wind up being ~550gal.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 6th, 2016 at 1:27:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Re purpose bank glass
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 6th, 2016 at 1:37:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
This help

http://www.bayoureefkeeping.com/pages/DIYGlassAquarium/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 6th, 2016 at 2:39:11 PM permalink
Face
Quote: rxwine

Nope, I know what I need. Where to find it is the question.

Fwiw, that was one of several calcs I used to design, of course dropping the safety factor as I have few concerns (no traffic, no ball throwing, etc). I just can't find the glass.

I suppose I could just drop the height, as that's the factor that rockets the thickness requirement. I just don't want to =p
February 6th, 2016 at 3:14:36 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
February 6th, 2016 at 3:32:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I found glass under "store window glass" but not sure if you're interested once you see the prices.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 6th, 2016 at 4:13:38 PM permalink
cs94
Threads: 0
You will be looking at $100-$150 a square foot, plus at least $600 freight at that size, and a one time order. It will also be about 2400 lbs. If I have time this week, I will check with some of my suppliers. What is the exact size you need?
February 6th, 2016 at 5:27:39 PM permalink
Face
Quote: cs94
You will be looking at $100-$150 a square foot, plus at least $600 freight at that size, and a one time order. It will also be about 2400 lbs. If I have time this week, I will check with some of my suppliers. What is the exact size you need?

Oh my good god. I know glass is heavy. I've done windows, windshields, I move my 150gal by myself. Heavy, yes, but...

You're right. Figuring my dimensions and the weight of glass, just the pane is 2,800lbs ><

/sigh. Thanks for popping in, random hero. I'll keep you in mind once I redesign this mess.

I wonder if I can coat acrylic with some sort of poly to make it scratch resistant...
February 6th, 2016 at 6:57:32 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Face
Serious? What a tw@. I don't get codes. For businesses, sure. For some private, OK. You don't want the neighbor's burning garage to take out your house because he had Face wire it up on the sly. But a GD window? Pathetic.

Yeah. Found out a bit more today. We had a crowded Neighborhood Watch mtg about 3 weeks ago. Afterwards, apparently an old grumpy couple drove the subdivision and wrote up the entire place for everything they could think of, and turned it over to the city Chief of Police as a complaint. I made their list.

wow on the MBR design. Triple wow on the glass dimensions and pricing, especially weight. Whaddya mean, "no traffic" in your bedroom? Get crackin', Face! :)

No ideas on how to substitute/work around. Was thinking several smaller windows, interestingly inset (staggered) in the wall like a set of pictures, but I suppose every seam is a potential leak point in an aquarium wall. Still, maybe....
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has