Do it yourself

November 1st, 2016 at 6:53:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
Just google it AZD I found several sites with instructions of how to build a simple switchboard to connect the 2 phones. The voltage on a phone system can actually give you a noticeable shock under the right conditions as dial tone is a nominal 52 volts DC.

The shock I knew about. Heard in a college class in the old days I assume mid 1960s we taught governments in Central America to use them for tourtue.
The President is a fink.
January 6th, 2017 at 4:03:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
This is a neat thing! $200 each time you stop a blade, but for institutional use where there are more accidents it saves injuries!

The President is a fink.
January 6th, 2017 at 10:48:10 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I saw a demo on "This Old House" the other day of a safety system that uses what appears to be charges from car airbags to blast the blade below the deck and into a blade brake that didn't destroy the blade like the aluminum block systems in the older design. Neat stuff. I wonder what it is that sets it off, and how it knows the difference between flesh and green wood?
January 7th, 2017 at 5:25:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Ayecarumba
I saw a demo on "This Old House" the other day of a safety system that uses what appears to be charges from car airbags to blast the blade below the deck and into a blade brake that didn't destroy the blade like the aluminum block systems in the older design. Neat stuff. I wonder what it is that sets it off, and how it knows the difference between flesh and green wood?

That is the problem, it does not know the difference between flesh, green wood, or a staple/nail. You can turn the sensor off it you are using pressure treated wood or need to. On this one when the blade is stopped you can touch it and a little LED lights up, indicating it would stop.

The next logical step is do it without high cost as many people will turn off the safety just in case or forget to turn it on after they turned it off as it is expensive ($200!) to replace the blade and brake.
The President is a fink.
January 7th, 2017 at 5:57:48 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
What happened to just being careful around machinery?
January 7th, 2017 at 9:54:16 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
What happened to just being careful around machinery?

You can be pretty careful and still have an accident. Though not as often at least!

I've turned around, didn't know the dog had pushed the door open and come in, and fell right over him. Accidently kick a piece of wood and a pile starts to fall and you automatically try to grab the whole thing, cut your hand open.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 7th, 2017 at 10:19:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
You can be pretty careful and still have an accident. Though not as often at least!

Which is really true industrially or in this case educationally. More people working on one saw or other tool means geometrically more chances for accidents. Heck, in this class I learned that I was not setting the saw blade high enough. And I was one of the top 3 in having handled power tools. 3/6, maybe 2/6 but one guy clearly had me beat.

Not that the others are bad people, but you learn not to have accidents by doing stupid things sometimes. But more people "learning" like this means more need for safer equipment.

I will do a better write-up about this place, TechShop, in a few months, after a project and after I have been there a bit more. It is quite the manly hangout.
The President is a fink.
January 7th, 2017 at 10:30:35 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
I will do a better write-up about this place, TechShop, in a few months, after a project and after I have been there a bit more. It is quite the manly hangout.
It sounds like a "Maker Space On Steroids".... we look forward to your 'better write-up".

As to safety,,,, well, it certainly is "cutting edge".

A maker space just opened a few miles away from me but it appears to be rather dismal.
January 7th, 2017 at 10:38:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
It sounds like a "Maker Space On Steroids".... we look forward to your 'better write-up".

As to safety,,,, well, it certainly is "cutting edge".

A maker space just opened a few miles away from me but it appears to be rather dismal.

I will have to ask for permission to photo but they probably will allow that as long as I do bot bother anyone. My official membership starts next week. You have to take a class to be checked-out on most tools. I get 2 more classes, will probably drop out for nice weather then in fall assuming I pay a few things off use the savings for an "all you can eat" class plan. Wood to sewing to machine shop to powder coating, it is a place to learn manly skills.
The President is a fink.
January 7th, 2017 at 10:45:47 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
I will have to ask for permission to photo but they probably will allow that as long as I do bot bother anyone. My official membership starts next week. You have to take a class to be checked-out on most tools. I get 2 more classes, will probably drop out for nice weather then in fall assuming I pay a few things off use the savings for an "all you can eat" class plan. Wood to sewing to machine shop to powder coating, it is a place to learn manly skills.

You may recall my comments on that Side Hustle thread about a 24 hour access maker space rental site. Such places are oriented to computer geeks and 3d printers soldering irons, chip boards etc. This seems to be a more "industrialized" maker space. And it would definitely require on site administrators to enforce basic safety class attendance etc.