Do it yourself

January 7th, 2017 at 10:59:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
You may recall my comments on that Side Hustle thread about a 24 hour access maker space rental site. Such places are oriented to computer geeks and 3d printers soldering irons, chip boards etc. This seems to be a more "industrialized" maker space. And it would definitely require on site administrators to enforce basic safety class attendance etc.

I'd have to look back at the for the comment.

This place is neat and yes, several people needed. One class lets you build a Bluetooth speaker box. $499 but you learn a lot of tools while doing it. Even has one of those water jet cutting things. I wish I had more ideas as it is sort of like living at Rick's Restorations, but without the crabby owner.
The President is a fink.
January 7th, 2017 at 6:32:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
I learned that I was not setting the saw blade high enough.
Would you expound on that a little? What type of blade, [up or down] and what did you learn?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 8th, 2017 at 5:22:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
Would you expound on that a little? What type of blade, [up or down] and what did you learn?

Sure. Table saws as you probably know adjust up and down. You want them as low as possible so there is less blade exposed and less danger to hands. etc. But I was setting the top of the blade just above the wood, whereas you want the trough of the blade even with the wood so the sawdust clears better.

Live and learn.
The President is a fink.
January 8th, 2017 at 9:12:34 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman

Sure. Table saws as you probably know adjust up and down. You want them as low as possible so there is less blade exposed and less danger to hands. etc. But I was setting the top of the blade just above the wood, whereas you want the trough of the blade even with the wood so the sawdust clears better.

Live and learn.
Thanks. I never got the pleasure of having my own table saw. A couple of radial saws [12 inch] was as far as I got. They are slightly more accurate then dynamite for fine cuts. I do so little now, I have guides for my circular saws. Table saws are the way to go.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 8th, 2017 at 9:31:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Thanks. I never got the pleasure of having my own table saw. A couple of radial saws [12 inch] was as far as I got. They are slightly more accurate then dynamite for fine cuts. I do so little now, I have guides for my circular saws. Table saws are the way to go.

Table saws are great but they are space hogs. One thing, though, little feels manly as doing a proper rip cut. The sound of it, the sight of it, making a board fit with machined precision. Oh, yeah!
The President is a fink.
January 14th, 2017 at 12:26:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Mother of 4 buys a piece of land and builds her entire home from watching YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GqLfEIuNHs

Now, I'm embarrassed I haven't built a moon rocket or something.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 14th, 2017 at 5:09:02 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: rxwine
Mother of 4 buys a piece of land and builds her entire home from watching YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GqLfEIuNHs

Now, I'm embarrassed I haven't built a moon rocket or something.
My goodness what a sexist remark. (if you're a man) To the P.C. woodshed for you!
January 14th, 2017 at 5:46:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman

She's kind of cute, I was expecting a hag.

A podcast I listen to the guy says if you want to lean skills this is the best time in history to be alive. This is proof, assuming it is 100% true.
The President is a fink.
January 14th, 2017 at 11:10:11 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
New battery from Japan..... red is negative and black is positive. Want to learn skills? What about skills already learned: red is positive and black is negative.
January 14th, 2017 at 12:26:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I guarantee she had help. No way, with
no experience, could she build a home
like that to code with no help. Just
getting the foundation plumbed right
would be a nightmare for an inexperienced
person, let alone the electrical. I've built
a building with an experienced person
and getting it to code was still a major
pain.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.