Do it yourself

January 22nd, 2017 at 9:31:03 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Free online welding class taught by the cute-as-a-button Audrey Love artist in Los Angeles recently graduated from UofNevada.

Also classes on minecraft, paper machier, jewelry making at instructables.
January 22nd, 2017 at 9:46:49 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Fleastiff
Free online welding class...

You got your anti-Luddite pills handy, or am I SOL in having the link supplied? ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 22nd, 2017 at 1:15:04 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Face
You got your anti-Luddite pills handy, or am I SOL in having the link supplied? ;)
Sorry, instructables can be found at www.instructables.com .
LINK

Also classes in Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Bluetooth (speakers, locks, etc) engraving, CNC, 3d printing, leather work, etc.
January 22nd, 2017 at 2:44:27 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Would you expound on that a little? What type of blade, [up or down] and what did you learn?

Well, I took the next class. Actually, I jumped the next class to the joinery class. This one was more instructive since there were just two of us vs IIRC 6 last time. Other guy was a surgeon from Israel, so don't think this DIY thing is limited to just a few of us at the lower rungs making stuff in our garages.

It was all joints, some of which we got good detail on and some of which we glossed over as for a more advanced class. I was going to use dowels for my desk project but think I will instead use biscuits. Just a hair more forgiving and the biscuit tool puts them exactly lined up, dowels I might not be exactly level. It is a desktop so I need to be really exact.

With just two of us we also got to see some other tools in the shop not normally covered. This gave me ideas and well changed my design a touch. Then home to watch youtube videos on finishing, which again gave some ideas.

The bad part remains that parking is awful, too much stuff crammed into too small an area. Gentrifying, yet I keep wondering who is paying all this money for the nearby apartments. Google is a neighbor, but I think it is lower-level stuff located here so they do not have to pay a call center employee $100K a year.

Anyways, pictures at some point on the desk assuming it comes out nice.
The President is a fink.
January 22nd, 2017 at 2:58:42 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
I was going to use dowels for my desk project but think I will instead use biscuits. Just a hair more forgiving and the biscuit tool puts them exactly lined up, dowels I might not be exactly level.
Biscuit joiners are easy and cool. Don't some of them have the ability to use different sizes of biscuit also? Dowels, the few times I used them were a pain.

Was your joiner working when you brought it home? I thought you needed a motor or something, no big deal. You should own my planer.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 22nd, 2017 at 3:41:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Biscuit joiners are easy and cool. Don't some of them have the ability to use different sizes of biscuit also? Dowels, the few times I used them were a pain.

Was your joiner working when you brought it home? I thought you needed a motor or something, no big deal. You should own my planer.

Two main sizes of biscuits, 10 an 20. My joiner worked fine, it was the table saw had issues. Still not right and I will probably just sell it soon as I have a loaner table saw.
The President is a fink.
January 24th, 2017 at 7:45:05 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Robot arms: pocket sized 20cm reach available now for fifty dollars, but uarm-Swift costs 250.oo for preproduction model and 500.00 for a promised model.
February 2nd, 2017 at 5:36:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
free online metal working class www.instructables.com
April 18th, 2017 at 12:52:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Living poor or living cheap. Maybe I should call this no mansion in the middle of nowhere.

There's more to it than you may think, though I don't know how long I could do this. Removing seats, heater for cooking, tent, camping kitchen, toilet, solar light etc., And she has her dog.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 18th, 2017 at 1:11:24 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Living poor or living cheap. Maybe I should call this no mansion in the middle of nowhere.
That looks like she is about 15 minutes from where I live, [in a house]. There are some villages north and south of town especially during the winter. If I live long enough, I will probably end up in an RV?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW