Do it yourself

May 23rd, 2017 at 10:07:33 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
My whole backyard is garden.
Outstanding, did you make those raised rose boxes?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 23rd, 2017 at 3:47:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Outstanding, did you make those raised rose boxes?

I made a few and will maybe get some pics up later this year. Right now I am on a weed control mission. When I get it how I want it will be nice. Downside is it will be hard to eventually leave.
The President is a fink.
May 23rd, 2017 at 4:19:13 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I hope you make those raised boxes about waist high, harvesting is easier that way.

Be careful about 'weeds'... nature has a way of making such weeds very valuable to those who are clever.

Even dandelions are healthful and I'm told profitable.
May 23rd, 2017 at 4:24:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
I hope you make those raised boxes about waist high, harvesting is easier that way.

Be careful about 'weeds'... nature has a way of making such weeds very valuable to those who are clever.

Even dandelions are healthful and I'm told profitable.

No, more like knee high. And more like a terraced effect. Right now I need to make tons, literally, of compost to fill the place in. It will not all be made this year, I have to haul the grass from my brother's place a few bags at a time. But work moves on.

Weeds actually helped some of the soil. But these are no dandelions. They are these prickly things that give no benefit. Root systems go on forever. Kind of fun seeing how much of the roots I take down. Last year got bad as my dad dying tied things up and took the wind out of me for the summer. Not to mention being stuck at a lower income level and debt to pay. Finally things are on track. Which means I have to act fast as they never stay on for more than 8-10 months with me........
The President is a fink.
May 30th, 2017 at 4:24:00 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Here to tie up loose ends. Been a busy Spring...

The filter I did just end up making. Spent about $30 for a snap-close rubbermaid tote and a roll of burlap. A long sheet of burlap folded just so made a pretty decent rough filter, catching pretty much anything that would clutter the pond. Doesn't do anything for any soluble pollutants or fine particulates, but it's been, what 6-8 weeks now and it works a GD treat. Drill a bunch of holes in top, pinch my folded burlap filter between the lid, and punch a big hole for the pump outlet. 20min, $30. Sure beats $500+ =p

Much of the work after I tossed that in was waiting. I needed the water to warm, the chlorine to gas off, the plant life to begin growing. Getting water plants themselves proved to be a bit of a bitch. The floating hyacinth didn't come in forever, and finally did at $3 a pop. As I need about 70 of them (=p), I'm still pretty undercovered at the moment. And s#$% weather has kept the wild stuff low and hard to spot, so my few swamp forays resulted in nothing. But I did get a few floating plants, and all the vinca has come back, and the sawgrass is off to the races, so it's starting to look much nicer. I have 3 goldfish and 7 pumpkinseed I fished out of a pond, as well as one honking leopard frog dominating the pond.

The falls worked almost perfect. Trying to install the hose in the overflow box meant I cranked on it hard enough to break the foam seal. I instead just fed it onto the top level and let it roll, just to get the water circulating and curing. Now, the sawgrass is high enough to hide the mistake and I've no desire to fix it this year. One last trip for some waterproof LED ($70 impulse purchase) and I'm pretty much at the "sit back and enjoy" stage.

I still need a load of rocks to hide the remaining filter, and it needs a few hundred gallons of water, still. And I suppose I could hide the hoses and lines better, as well as created a much more efficient filtration system. But for now, it's plain ol Good Enough =)

1,300gal garden pond for less than $600. Finally one for the win column =D
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 30th, 2017 at 4:43:36 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Don't forget the Sea Mangoes... it is what makes them gigantic crabs highly toxic... but what a way to go.

Actually you might try kelp. It groes so fast that you might be able to produce excess compost for gardens and the like.
May 30th, 2017 at 5:51:12 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Looks great Face! Did the box do a good job keeping the noise from the pump down?

Is this a front yard? I wonder if a fence is required to keep little kids and big mailmen from falling in? Maybe also to keep the raccoons from raiding your stock of fish?
May 30th, 2017 at 6:14:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Looks real nice! Think you need a naked mermaid.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 30th, 2017 at 7:12:02 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Fleastiff

Actually you might try kelp. It groes so fast that you might be able to produce excess compost for gardens and the like.

Wayyy too fast. There's nothing in there to eat it, and I'd just be weeding again lol.

Surprisingly, the algae hasn't really come yet. The slippery film, sure, and there's hundreds of bitty circles all over where the goldfish suck it off. But there's been none of the hair algae that fuzzes all over and clogs every damn thing with its goop.

Dunno if it's a case of the right bird not seeding it yet, or if for some reason this setup doesn't promote it. Either way, I couldn't be much happier with the condition so far. It's too mirky to see the deepest bottom, but that just camos the filter while still allowing viewing for all the rest.

I'll get some lillies if I can find them, cattail if I can't, and plant that shelf up. Split the hya when it gets big enough, and call it a day on plants.

Quote: Ayecarumba
Looks great Face! Did the box do a good job keeping the noise from the pump down?

Is this a front yard? I wonder if a fence is required to keep little kids and big mailmen from falling in? Maybe also to keep the raccoons from raiding your stock of fish?

Thanks!

The pump itself makes no noise. It's a submersible, of course, but even with just enough to cover it it's soundless. The flow over the falls was the real racket, to the point I was initially self conscious about it and only ran it briefly. But, just like an indoor aquarium, you eventually get used to it. You can hear it on the road two doors down (it's a lot of water lol) and just yesterday a neighbor made a comment about it. I apologized but they all said they love it. Birds chirping, water running, it was real nice. Another neighbor donated baitfish lol, I think 7 or 8 in total either stopped by to admire and compliment or actively assist in it. It was a deep success =)

I never though of liability =/ I was considering a miniature picket type fence just to keep the fat water dog out of it, but have since compromised in making one low patch in the stones for them to access it. Kidwise they're either plenty old to not worry (8+) or not yet ambulatory. Something to consider, though, as those ones age. Thanks for the reminder.

Ain't worried about birds / coons / cats. My garbage is easier to access, and they do. And my fish stock is essentially limitless what with a nearby pond and a cooler =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 30th, 2017 at 9:43:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
And my fish stock is essentially limitless what with a nearby pond and a cooler =)

Anything to get out of working
on the race car..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.