Do it yourself

June 24th, 2017 at 2:12:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
It's as if it's sat at petro's house the last ten years.
The paint and rubber are to good to have sat here. Was the frame maybe undercoated? Is the oil puddle just because it's a dodge, or did the pan rot through?

I went through 3 fuel tanks on my Ford. On the island the two worst rigs for just breaking in half were the Toyota pick-up and the Ford PU, we had one each.

Funny, I talk to the guy that ended up with my Ford pu, he put a sno plow on it. Says it still runs great and doesn't use any oil. That was one hell of a rebuild. The front half was an 80 f-250, the back half was a 95 half ton, with a factory swiss cheese frame, [circa 1979-1980] but salt water never sat there, it just ran off so the frame never rotted.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 24th, 2017 at 2:38:58 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Pops ain't doin' no f#$%in undercoat lol.

It's just bizarre. Probably just powder coat and the steel underneath is gone =p Joke, of course. I pounded the balls off it and all that happened was pieces of the bed fell off. I would have zero trepidation, at least in what I've seen, of putting $20k on top of it (if I had it and wanted to do that)

But I'm not. Honestly, all I see when I look at that thing is the 5 speed. He got it after I had wrapped one of mom's cars are a phone pole and sent another through the trees at 90mph. As such, I was almost never allowed to touch that truck. I stole it once to go to school (wow, it's old), stole it once to see a girl, and the one time he let me borrow it legit I bent the rear bumper fumbling with my coke and then spilled a quart of beer in the back seat. Those are my only "sentimental" memories, and I'd be fine with sending them to the smelter.

Nah. Time to clear the property. Gonna need the room because something is coming.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 24th, 2017 at 4:52:18 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Face
Nah. Time to clear the property. Gonna need the room because something is coming.

Ooooh... foreshadowing....
Could be... who knows?... there's something due any day...

June 28th, 2017 at 10:27:37 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
The concrete patio and Cool Decking around my pool has lifted so badly that there are places where there is a three inch gap between the deck and the pool. I was given a quote of $14,000 to remove and replace the decking. I am not willing to do that because at this point it is just an aesthetics issue. The previous owner tried some caulking but that failed miserably because of the size and volume of the separation.

I am desperate at this point and am thinking about a white waterproof tape. The issue is the tape will be partially underwater when applied and it must stick to a Pebble-Tec surface that is not smooth.

Any suggestions?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 28th, 2017 at 11:13:12 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
What is the cause of the lift? Is the decking warped, or is the ground shifting? That problem needs to be addressed, or you may be spending significant money on a fix that might only last a few weeks.
June 28th, 2017 at 11:37:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
If you get a better pic I might.
The President is a fink.
June 28th, 2017 at 12:05:06 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Ayecarumba
What is the cause of the lift? Is the decking warped, or is the ground shifting? That problem needs to be addressed, or you may be spending significant money on a fix that might only last a few weeks.

I have twelve large palm trees near the pool and the speculation is that the roots may be lifting it. Yes, it is already a major problem that I will continue to patch as long as I can. It wouldn't be shocking at some point if the whole pool needs to be replaced but I am not willing to commit $60k at this point.

I will try to remember to take a picture of it tonight.
June 28th, 2017 at 12:20:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: DRich
I have twelve large palm trees near the pool and the speculation is that the roots may be lifting it. Yes, it is already a major problem that I will continue to patch as long as I can. It wouldn't be shocking at some point if the whole pool needs to be replaced but I am not willing to commit $60k at this point.

I will try to remember to take a picture of it tonight.
Oleander's have a reputation for busting sidewalks as well.

The bottom of my "Gunnite" pool is coming up/off in patches. I am pretty sure that is at least a 5k fix. At this point, my wife likes the pool, if it were just me, no way would I go through owning one. Like they say, it's like a boat, only a pool is a hole in the ground you throw your money in.

I know, "it's only money". But it chaps my ass, respending. The pool guy says the cool decking is a cap and isn't fastened to the pool. Thank god. My decking has slid about an inch and it is tricky pulling the trap door open and removing the leaf basket. Also my light went out last year and I haven't wanted to mess with it.

I have fixed houses for decades and don't relish doing it anymore. I don't want to fix cars at this stage of my life or pools. I do do the cleaning and maintenance mostly. I have the pop up system for auto pool cleaning or it would probably kill me. Had to replace 3 of those so far this year. Sixty or so each. Chemicals etc. etc.

I don't enjoy much, swimming when it is in the "teens" anyway, the pool was 94 the other day, all on it's own. At least it's pretty. Did you say yours is a salt water pool?
June 28th, 2017 at 12:37:36 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: petroglyph
. Also my light went out last year and I haven't wanted to mess with it.

My pool lights have been out since I moved into the house. Last week I broke down and bought a new bulb and changed it out. Sure enough, still no light. Now I am going to have to have an electrician come out and replace the whole assembly and hope the problem isn't at the electrical panel. The cord from the light fixture runs all the way to the breaker box and doesn't have a junction anywhere.

I may just live without the light for another couple of years.
June 28th, 2017 at 12:52:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: DRich
My pool lights have been out since I moved into the house. Last week I broke down and bought a new bulb and changed it out. Sure enough, still no light. Now I am going to have to have an electrician come out and replace the whole assembly and hope the problem isn't at the electrical panel. The cord from the light fixture runs all the way to the breaker box and doesn't have a junction anywhere.

I may just live without the light for another couple of years.
Did you flip the breaker hard to the off position before flipping it on?

You must have gotten the screws out under water that let you access the bulb? I am convinced mine are calcified in place so I am kind of on strike versus applying my whole self to repairing the light that only gets turned on occasionally for the pool guy who works at 4 am or company. I don't care about swimming enough to go out at night and do so. I suppose if I did, I would skinny dip anyway and wouldn't want the light on. We have flood lights, so no big deal lighting the area up.