Do it yourself

October 21st, 2017 at 11:24:15 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I'm not certain if you are trying to put decent thick studs on the INside of the thin walls or the OUTside of the thin walls. Making the room a bit smaller does not seem too bad an idea but be careful advertising something as "a bedroom" since that may have a legal definition, so just say 'room'.

Surely this question is one that a code enforcement officer would answer but you might not want to alert "the enemy" to your plans.

From your description I think this IS a structural issue.

You can't handle drywall ??
My understanding is that stacking drywall and installing drywall are the lowest rungs in the building trades.
October 21st, 2017 at 11:39:58 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Need some advice here. I am looking at rental properties and a good candidate has an issue. It is on what appears to be a floating or monolithic slab construction. What I learned is that the walls are paper thin. 2x2 or 2x3 not 2x4 studs. This is no structural issue, bit it means no good insulation and the walls are a thin panel not drywall/sheetrock. You can live in it, but it gives a cheap feel.
It is much easier IMO, to build something the first time rather than rebuild. Rebuilding is 2-3 times as much work as starting fresh. But if you are determined....What't the point? Are you just wanting to add insulation? Would it be easier to add it on the outside and put siding outside that?

Quote:
The agent suggests the roof needs jacked up and they be replaces with conventional studs for best results.
Agents are dreamers that always have some great idea about how to fix places without getting their hands dirty. ....
Quote:
I would have to farm it out.
Cheaper to buy new. Does code allow just demolishing this structure and placing a new modular on the slab? Modulars have some surprising quality these days, with arched ceilings and good insulation, no more are the days of 2x2 walls.
Quote:
Sleeping on it I am thinking why not on the outside walls, if I even did the upgrade, I just put up studs right against the old wall.
Didn't see this before first post. Yep, outside much easier. Nice if you can afford the blue board insulation to work with, rather than roll, or even spray foam. I think the blue board is r-19 per inch?
Quote:
Nailing them to the floor is not hard if I just rent a Hilti Gun or even use masonary screws.
When I did it, I just used a masonry bit on a regular drill, but no matter.
Quote:
Fasten the header to the floor, fasten another to the ceiling joice, then frame it out, toenail the studs just like a framed place. I could only toenail the outside, but there may be a way around that.
Time to own air nailers/staplers, amazing tools.

Quote:
Then run new, proper wiring, put up some insulation, and farm out the drywall, which I cannot do on my own.
Me either. Drywall is a gift, you either have it or you don't. Is something wrong with the wiring? This sounds like it will end up being more expensive than finding something that needs much less work and capital. My old E. German escape friend is up to over 60 places now in Phoenix. He only buys multi family units now with a common plumbing wall. Also looks for big yards with fences. You get a family in one of those units, they will never leave. As you know a big expense with rentals is having to change tenants frequently.

Thoughts?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 21st, 2017 at 12:30:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
Funny that. We are binging Deadwood. It seems they edited some of the episodes on Amazon, I don't understand why?

Overuse of the word c**ksucker? They
use that word a LOT on Deadwood.
That wasn't even a word in 1876.
They did swear a lot, but it was hell
and damn and shit. Milch realized
nobody these days would be impressed
with that sort of cussing, so he substituted
vile modern swear words.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 21st, 2017 at 1:28:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Funny that. We are binging Deadwood. It seems they edited some of the episodes on Amazon, I don't understand why?

I'm working thru it on exodus. Looks as it was.
The President is a fink.
October 21st, 2017 at 2:27:54 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: AZDuffman
I'm working thru it on exodus. Looks as it was.
Two scenes I'm near positive were removed, that I wanted to see again. First was, I remember [whether it happened or not?] Swerengen did a slow dance with the gimp.

And, the first time we watched it, there were scenes of Bullock building his house with rough cut wood. I like watching old methods of carpentry.
October 21st, 2017 at 3:00:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Two scenes I'm near positive were removed, that I wanted to see again. First was, I remember [whether it happened or not?] Swerengen did a slow dance with the gimp.

And, the first time we watched it, there were scenes of Bullock building his house with rough cut wood. I like watching old methods of carpentry.

Don't remember the gimp. They do show Bullock building the store, not his house.
The President is a fink.
October 21st, 2017 at 3:09:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
I'm not certain if you are trying to put decent thick studs on the INside of the thin walls or the OUTside of the thin walls. Making the room a bit smaller does not seem too bad an idea but be careful advertising something as "a bedroom" since that may have a legal definition, so just say 'room'.

Inside. The bedrooms are plenty over the size if there is one.

Quote:
Surely this question is one that a code enforcement officer would answer but you might not want to alert "the enemy" to your plans.[

From your description I think this IS a structural issue.

Should not be a structural issue. Was built in 1955 and no issues, just thin walls. Slab homes are generally cheaper builds. It is a post-war mill hunky place. Today it will probably end up a place for single mom to live right on the busline.

Quote:
You can't handle drywall ??
My understanding is that stacking drywall and installing drywall are the lowest rungs in the building trades.

No, I cannot handle it. Without going into details, I do not have the upper body strength to do it. Nor do I have the hands and touch to finish it. What I did on the current place is not good enough to put on the market. Farm out what you can't do.
The President is a fink.
October 21st, 2017 at 3:37:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Swerengen did a slow dance with the gimp.

Doc danced with her, I don't think
Al danced with anybody in the whole
series. Doc made a brace for her leg
and they danced in the last ep of
season 1.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 21st, 2017 at 4:40:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
Doc danced with her, I don't think
Al danced with anybody in the whole
series. Doc made a brace for her leg
and they danced in the last ep of
season 1.
I guess it was just the dance with doc, I'd remembered incorrectly that Swearengen spun her around once?

It was a great series. It does bring forth more reality of how it was during that time period in the west, versus watching Gunsmoke.
October 21st, 2017 at 5:35:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
I guess it was just the dance with doc, I'd remembered incorrectly that Swearengen spun her around once?

It was a great series. It does bring forth more reality of how it was during that time period in the west, versus watching Gunsmoke.

The streets were solid mud, the people
were filthy most of the time, and most
everybody had a perpetual cold. It's
why buttons were put on military uniform
sleeves at the cuff, to stop them from
continually wiping their runny noses
on the the sleeves.